Babel

candi

Cathlete
DH and I watched this the other night and I am still haunted by this movie. The acting, IMHO, was phenomenal. Raw emotions displayed throughtout the whole movie.

I don't know why this movie didn't win the Oscar instead of The Departed. JMHO.

Did anyone else here see it and what did you think?

Candi,

What a coincidence...I just watched Babel last night with my DH. I agree with you phenomenal acting. I've also seen The Departed recently and thought it was a great movie despite the fact that I don't think I've ever seen a movie where so many people were shot in the head :(

Babel should have won the Oscar IMO as well.

Chastity

http://www.picturetrail.com:80/chastgirl0205

"and thought it was a great movie despite the fact that I don't think I've ever seen a movie where so many people were shot in the head"

LOL! I have to agree with you. The Departed was good but, come on, very, very violent. Not that I had a real problem with that but Babel was so good on so many levels. DEEP, DEEP, DEEP!

I keep hearing that the reason it didn't win is that it "fell short" of Oscar material. But, The Departed didn't?

One comment about Brad Pitt. His acting range is unbelievable. The very intimate scene, I know those of you who saw it know what I'm talking about (don't want to describe as it would be sort of a spoiler), the tears in his eyes after he kissed his wife. My goodness, that took my breath away! And you know, just like George Clooney, he is getting better looking as he ages. If that's possible for either of them!

I've also thought Brad Pitt had an incredible acting range. I think he's dismissed by a lot of Hollywood as a pretty boy and that's it, which is a shame.

YES! Brad Pitt has become an AWESOME actor! His range is unbelievable! I think he's gotten much better in the last 10 years or so. I remember seeing him in "An Interview with a Vampire", thinking he was just so bad in that movie (I also thought Tom Cruise was bad in that movie as well..). But in my opinion he can do no wrong lately. I even liked him in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Even though it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, he was still great! Did I mention I like Brad Pitt?

Carolyn

The acting by Adriana Barazza (Aunt Amelia) was also truly outstanding.

I read some trivia that Brad Pitt gave up a lead role in The Departed to star in Babel.

Candi, I'll have to check out Babel. I live overseas and it takes some time before we get movies here. In fact, I'm not even sure they will show it in our theaters (I know it's not showing this month), so maybe I'll end up renting/buying it. Thanks for the review!

Carolyn

Anyone who's interested, here is a synopsis:

"In Gen. 11,9 the name of Babel is etymologized by association with the Hebrew verb balal, 'to confuse or confound'" ..."Babel", through a series of misunderstandings, interweaves the unfortunate circumstances of a Moroccan, an American, a Mexican and a Japanese family. This is a complex tale of four interlocking stories. A poor Moroccan family acquires a rifle to protect their goats. An American couple's bus tour holiday is shattered when she is accidentally shot. That couple's children, at home in the USA with their nanny/housekeeper, accompany her to Mexico to attend her son's wedding. A Japanese father, whose wife has committed suicide some time ago, is unable to communicate with his teenage daughter. A tragic tale for all concerned.

Also, a website with several reviews, good and not so good just so you can make an informed decision. But, I have to say, even though the film doesn't tie up neatly, the raw human emotion displayed touched me to the core.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0449467/usercomments?start=0

I completely agree - Babel was stunning and breathtaking. The best movie I've seen in years. And Adriana Barazza was beyond wonderful, I cried almost whenever she was on screen, even in the moments when she was just tucking the kids into bed. I loved the script - how subtle it was - the dialogue was the way people actually talk - so you had to stop and think about what the character was really feeling or trying to communicate. I loved the contrast between the Japanese girl's public "party girl" persona and the way she shuffled off, in a traditional Japanese way, to get her visitor tea when she was at home. I loved that, in the Japanese segment, both of the older men proved themselves to be decent and honorable, thus going against the stereotype that all men will take advantage of any good opportunity. I ADORED Brad Pitt, he is one of our finest actors and, like Clooney, is hampered by being so attractive, we forget what depth and range he has. The "intimate scene" between him and Cate Blanchett was so well done and completely believable and yet impossible to describe to anyone, but it's a very true portrait of what might happen in a marriage. I thought this movie was stunning, I can't say enough good things about it. I saw it probably a month ago and I still think about it so frequently.

Now I might have to check this movie out. My mom said she rented it last weekend and told me not to get it but since you all are giving so many good reviews, I guess I'll have to see it for myself. My mom and I don't always agree on movies so maybe I will like it. Thanks.

Great observations, Diane. Your attention to detail is amazing. You should be a film critic!

A week before the Academy awards I saw Babel with a friend who is visiting from Paris. He and I both agree that it was wonderful.

Although, we both agreed, too, that Crash is slightly superior on many levels. That's probably why it won Best Picture last year, while Babel didn't this year.

I'm glad everyone warned us about the violence in The Departed. I was planning to see it, but thanks to your warnings I won't. I hate rediculous amounts of violence, no matter how great the film is supposed to be.

Nicole

Diane,

Your words are exactly how I feel about the movie. I'm not very articulate on describing details so thank you very much :)

Also, I wouldn't tell anyone not to see the Departed because while it was very violent, the story line was interesting and the acting was also outstanding :)

Thanks for all of the reviews for this movie. I am definitely going to need to see it as soon as it comes out on DVD.

>Yes, it is. We rented the DVD.

Cool, thanks! You can see how much I keep up with things lately! I feel so out of the loop since I started this second job. Haven't seen Grey's in weeks. ;)

Nicole and Candi, thank you so much for your kind words! :D I'm usually not so articulate about much of anything, but this movie just really impressed me. It's great that studios still make thoughtful movies like this one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.