AWESOME! LOW CARB FLAX BREAD! ONLY 5 INGREDIENTS!

So I found a recipe for low carb flax bread and tweaked it a bit and when sliced up only has one carb; and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never made bread before in my life! And no bread machine is needed. Just a baking pan and 20mins!

You have to try it!! If you like Ezekiel bread, you'll LOVE THIS! No sugar, no flour - only 5 ingredients!

LOW CARB FLAX BREAD

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:

* 2 cups flax seed meal
* 1 Tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1-2 Tablespoons sweetening power from artificial sweetener (OPTIONAL IF YOU WANT A LITTL SWEETNESS, I LEFT IT OUT)
* 2 WHOLE EGGS/ 5 EGG WHITES beaten
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/3 cup oil (I used olive oil)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want.

True, with the oil and flax, this is a high fat bread, but it's all good fats, HIGH IN OMEGA 3'S which actually help your body burn stored fat!! So enjoy!!! AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Is it two whole eggs OR 5 egg whites? Thanks

I hate "wasting" whole eggs by using only the whites....is there an equivalent that can be used for whole eggs?

Also, can a regular bread pan be used?

sorry for all the questions...this sounds like a great low carb recipe!

This recipe was great! I had just gotten back from a 4 week trip and the only food I had in the house were nuts and seeds and six eggs. I saw this recipe on the plane ride back and knew I was going to make it.

*I made it with 5 whole eggs (I hate wasting the whites and prefer the creaminess of yolks).
*I did not use baking powder (didn't have any)
*I used coconut oil (FYI: putting the coconut oil in the mixing bowl with cold eggs and cold water made it solidify. I knew that, but was so jet-lagged I forgot. I just crushed up the solidified oil with a fork and let it come to room temp as the oven pre-heated.) I think I may try olive oil next time for a change.
*I made homemade cashew butter while it was baking and together they were delicious.
*I used the Vitamix Dry Container to grind the flax seeds. Took 30 seconds.

**Does anyone know how I should store this? I left it wrapped up on the counter, but should I refrigerate it?**
**Has anyone made the crackers referenced in the posts above? I would like to try that but am a bit confused as to what the ingredients/instructions actually are**

So far my guy has used the bread with the cashew butter; cashew butter + banana; cashew butter + honey + banana; as a grilled cheese sandwich and as PB&J. He said all of them are great - and this is all within the last 2 days. Along with nut butter, I am going to make a salsa/bean dip and guacamole and use it as a dipper in soups. It is great raw also.

This recipe was SO easy and yummy!

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but maybe there is someone out there that knows the answer.....what if I wanted to use all whole eggs instead of a mix of whole and just whites? Do you know how many whole eggs this would be?

Thanks!

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but maybe there is someone out there that knows the answer.....what if I wanted to use all whole eggs instead of a mix of whole and just whites? Do you know how many whole eggs this would be?

Thanks!

I have made this several times and use 5 whole eggs. Turns out great.

I have never used a 10 x 15 pan....is that like a lasagna pan?

Deb,

I have made this several times and the batter is more like a thin/thick paste (for lack of a better description). You pour it in the middle of the oiled parchment paper pan and spread it to (almost) the edges with a spatula. I used a jelly roll baking sheet (I am not sure if it is called something else, but Google a picture). Therefore, the pan used is big like a lasagna pan, but doesn't have such deep sides. Rather the sides are maybe 1-inch tall. I even used a cookie sheet before (no sides).

In my experience, the 10 x 15 measurement isn't a requirement...just something with about the same total square inches to hold all of the batter (in other words, don't put it in an 8x8 pan). I have never used a pan with deep edges (lasagna pan, brownie pan, etc.) and wonder if the high edges would make it cook differently (hold in steam/heat?).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.