Avoiding Muscle breakdown/Catabolism - What are your thoughts?

This is such great information. Nathalie, thanks for getting this discussion started! I've been away from Cathe and these boards for too long. This is really getting my fitness mojo going!

I don't know much about the science of working out/eating (although I love reading and learning about it) so thanks for those who are much more knowledgeable for sharing your knowledge in words and phrases that I understand! :)

It makes sense to me that as you get better at exercising (mentally, being able to handle longer workouts, and physically, being able to lift the weight, go the distance, push to a certain degree, or maintain high-intenisity for a certain amt of time, etc) that your body would produce less and less cortisol.

One thing I will say is that I think Mark Sisson has a great outlook on how we should try to live our lives - the actual EATING part, and what you are and are not "supposed" to eat, aside. He recommends sleep, leisure time, long walks, time with friends and family, less TV, less sitting, emphasizes minimizing stress, getting adequate sunlight, avoiding TV/electronics at night, etc.

Hi Candice,

Glad you enjoy discussing this topic. I have read your posts on results you have gained so far. Congrats:):):). Keep up the hard work;)

Living our lives is all about keeping a balance between living a fit life, leisure time etc...

Also as we get fitter, recovery process is less demanding on the body. We recover quicker.

All the very best,

Last edited:
What I have heard from Elliot over at Yo Elliot is that if you eat a snack before your workout, that you will be less likely to end up in that catabolic state. I personally do better with slightly longer lower intensity cardio than I do with ultra intense short workouts. Some intervals is good. But, shorter and higher intensity made me gain. It depends on your body. I suspect that you can avoid the 'stress' of your workout by not going into a glycogen depleted state, by not doing intense intervals in the beginning of your workout. But, that said, why would we really need a long workout with intense intervals anyway? Not really sure.

If I was training for an event that had some intense hills or a technical trail, I would slowly build up my base to the point where those hills or trails would be in my aerobic zone. As useful as intervals are, it has become somewhat of a popular thing to overly focus on intervals and to ignore LSB cardio (long slow boring.)

I think the important thing is to eat enough (as someone already mentioned calories and carbs) and to recognize that long distance events are not necessarily a means to weight loss (beyond the 90 min. mark). Many runners experience a 10 lb. weight gain with their first marathon. I suggest using LSB workouts between 45 and 90 minutes for weight loss and then accept the fact that weight gain can coincide with athletic prowess.

This all said, I don't have the time for an event thats more than 90 min.

Hi Everyone,

I am back on this tread with more information.

Resistance training improving bone density is heavy meaning hypertrophy and strength. Light weight 3 to 5 pound, yoga, elastic band... won't build nor would it improve bone density. I'm not implying activity mentioned above do not offer any benefit:cool:

Cathe Friedrich - What Effect Does Resistance Training Have on Your Metabolism??

Cathe Friedrich - Does Cardiovascular Exercise Interfere With Muscle Growth From Resistance Training?

As it's quoted in the article, lifting light won't create an afterburn. Studies are not 100% accurate but it works! This afterburn energy expenditure is not shown on the old good HR monitor but it works!:confused:

"If you want the benefits, intensity counts. Isolation exercises using lighter weights that you can lift 15 or 20 times won’t give you a significant afterburn. Compound exercises with heavy weights and only enough rest so you can maintain intensity will maximize energy expenditure after your workout is over."

Happy reading everyone:eek::p:D,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.