Avoiding Injuries and Getting to the Next Level

Cowgirl

Thought I'd posted this, but did not see it on the Board... so here goes again...Apologize if it Is somewhere and I haven't seen it..

Have just been diagnosed with rotater cuff inflammation and pinched nerve. This is not the first time for this injury and last time required physical therapy.. does not warrant it this time- thank goodness.

I have started X-train, and have been really seeing results, but what seems to happen is when I try and go up in weight- this is where the injuries occur.. I try and do it incrementally - and am not even lifting that heavy 10-20 lbs typically, but shoulders even 3-5 lbs.

Has anyone had the same problem- and if so, how did you go up to that next level and/or did you resign yourself to staying where you are?

BTW, I never had this problem ( injuries) with kettlebells- just free weights. Since I tend to have exercise ADD, hopping from one DVD to another, I would Really like to complete this 90 day reotation-- if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Cowgirl

Had/have this problem. I paid way too much to go to PT for 12 weeks to do upper body strength training, which is what triggered the issue in the first place. Anyway, one takeaway from PT is what exercises for me to avoid. I don't do anything overhead and am really careful with things like lying triceps extensions. I also skip pullovers. I found substitutions for the exercises I skip, I just googled sub for xxx and would get lists of various exercises that work that body part.

Since you had PT in the past, did they indicate what triggered it? Was it weaknesses in some smaller muscle groups? Cathe had a post on this a while ago, I think it was before X Train came out.

I am careful about how much weight I use. For me, it is a balancing act, I tend to go with more endurance weight workouts than higher weight/lower rep. Some of the newer workouts present a challenge since the metabolic workouts seem heavy on overhead presses with squats.

Agree with OP. Also, chest flys caused mine - I went too far back (even though Cathe keeps warning us not to!). I now do them lying on the floor so I can't go further back than I should.
With shoulder presses, sometimes just changing the grip works.
Finally, I do a lot of band work, particularly stretching out my shoulders before I start the workout.
best of luck,
Justine

Well, as I think back, the PT told me not to do upright rows and shrugs-- those are the two that have gotten more people back to her with shoulder problems. And yes:mad: in recent weeks, I have introduced upright rows again after not doing it for two years...

What I think also has "helped" make it worse are push-ups, resting a bar on my shoulder-- and this is probably the biggest offender- trying to keep up with Cathe or whomever the instructor is-- with the rep count. When I go to the gym, and do things slower-- have not had this problem...

I also do like the idea of stretching with the band-- as one of my favorites is Stretchmax With the bands... Guess I should do it more often;)

Thanks so much for your help- both of you!!!

Are you able to see a PT without a referral? May be worth finding out what is best for your situation. For example, when I asked my PT about stretching, she said in my case it was not necessary, the issue was the strength imbalance, YMMV. I forgot about upright rows, I don't do them either, which again, takes out a lot of the combo exercises in the metabolic workouts.

KSDL - what I Will do is look at subs for the upright rows... I just thought" Hey no problem, I've been feeling fine for two years now.." Not so fast :rolleyes: I guess...

Will be seeing my doctor for a recheck on Friday. He's an osteopathic doc, specializing in sports medicine. Will ask him specifics. He's the one who referred me to PT - it's in his office - and said I didn't need it this time. Will ask him how/what to avoid so it won't happen again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.