Austria & Switzerland...

lorren05

Cathlete
I am looking for some tips on these 2 countries-have any of you all traveled or live there?
I want to start planning a trip for our 10 yr. anniversary(not til next yr.),but i dont even know where to begin.I have heard that Zurich,Switzerland is really nice.
So if any of you all have places that you have been and would recommend please let me know!! Thanks so much!
:)

My DH and I did an Inn-to-Inn hiking trip in the Oberlin region of Switzerland and had the time of our lives. We simply put our luggage on the train in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon after we hiked to the new town. The region is glorious, the people wonderful, and the transportation incredible. The hotels are wonderful, too. Zurich is really nice, but it's a city - I really recommend going out to some of the more scenic places like the Oberlin region (home of the Jungfrau, Eiger and Monche mountains - not to mention glaciers, trains to the top of Jungfrau, cows with bells and itty bitty little cottages in the middle of nowhere that have beer, wine and wonderful food (in the mountains on the hiking paths). There is tons to do even if you don't hike. We used All Mountain Vacations in Washington State and absolutely loved them.

DH travels to Zurich on biz, and doesn't think it's necessarily a great tourist destination (probably cuz it's always biz when he goes)....but he always brings home the BEST chocolate!!!:)

If you want to e mail me I can give you my girlfriend's email. She not only lived in Switzerland for 25 years but she is also a travel agent. She is always planning trips for others, as well as taking guided tours over there once or twice each year. She leaves next week for Italy, Austria and Switzerland for three weeks with a group. I'm sure she would be glad to answer your questions.
My family has been saving to go over soon but since we have 5 kids it does take some saving!! However, my 17 year old leaves June 29, for four weeks in Switzerland, to stay with my friends family so I will have more info soon. Santana;-)

I have been to Salzburg, Austria and it was wonderful! I would love to go back. We went over the holidays one year and it was beautiful. Snow on the ground and lots of festive lights. I didn't care for the food there much, but otherwise it was great! We stayed in a neat little B&B type hotel called Doktor Schlossl that I recommend. There is a lot of fascinating history there, it was home to Mozart.

Have a great trip!

Monica

**EDITED TO CORRECT THE SPELLING OF THE HOTEL**

I have spent some time in both countries and have several recommendations. In Austria, Vienna, Salzburg, and Halstatt are really wonderful. In Switzerland, Interlaken and the surrounding area is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I am sure it will be a great trip!

Jessica

We went in July and it was incredible. We had one rainy day, I think, but even the rain was nice. It's by Interlaken which was also recommended. If you do not plan to hike Inn-to-Inn, I'd spend a day or two at Interlaken, then travel on into the Alps. You won't regret it. We stayed at this little hotel in Murren (The Hotel Alpina) that is perched on the side of a mountain. You look into the Jungfrau Valley - I swear it was like being half way up El Capitan in Yosemite. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

The town of Murren is the little gathering of buildings on the right. The views are incredible.

http://www.muerren.ch/gallery/pictures/luftbildb.jpg

You find these little Huts everywhere - we actually were on this trail:

http://www.muerren.ch/images/Ref_24.jpg

Now you're making me want to go back. We had such a wonderful trip. It was actually a belated honeymoon as we did not have a chance to have one when we married.

My Mom lives in Switzerland, in Montreaux right by the Lake Geneva. It is probably one of the nicest places to live on this Earth. In the summer they hold the famous "Jazz Festival" and the city is very lively at that time, that is a good time to visit.
The weather is very beautiful, not too hot at all in the summer and it is not humid. Great places to hike, and walk around. It is expensive, and now that the dollar is bad it is even more expensive for us. The food is excellent, especially in Switzerland.
When I'm there I just like to go to the mountains. Take the cable car up to one of the mountains and you'll feel that you are in heaven. Switzerland is a totally gorgeous country! The people are deadly boring, and not too warm or friendly, but they are very reliable, efficient and punctual. I've only visited Vienna, that I hope you'll visit too. Great city with a lot of history. I hope you'll have a chance to go and taste the "Old Europe". Have a great vacation!

I have to second the Hotel Alpina! Murren is wonderful - as is Interlaken. I hsve also visited Salzburg and Vienna and really can't say enough good things about both Switzerland and Austria - great food, wonderful people and beautiful scenery. My travels to Europe generally coincide with Munich's Oktoberfest so I am there in the mid to late September time frame. Usually it is just getting cold - a little snow sometimes but generally just a nice brisk temperature, great for siteseeing!

I'm going next summer. We have family in germany and plan to visit surrounding countries. I'm glad you posted as I will benefit too from the feedback!

WOW!! THat looks incredible!!! i was telling my husband how you said you hiked from village to village -and he thought that sounded awesome!Thanks so much for the info-i cant wait to see it in person!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.