August Check In ***Tuesday 12th***

Checking back in with itread 24 - run intervals done! I went 5.25 miles - yea me! :)

Lori, great run! Caitlyn has to have open heart surgery. She was born with a heart defect and had surgery when she was around 2. Now she has to have the artificial conduit they put in her heart replaced. We knew it would have to happen eventually, but it was still quite a shock. The surgery isn't until Sept. 18.

Chris, great photo!! How did you get involved with the commercial?

Hottie, I hope the school docs are right about your knee and it just needs a few days of rest. How cool about your hubby and working out with you!! I think mine doubted the value of working out with DVDs when I first started, but he's noticed my muscles and is more of a believer now! Did you get any workouts with your High Step? The restaurant looks great! I had to close the link - I was getting hungry and just ate lunch!

Ivy, sorry to hear about having to wear the heart monitor. But, it's better to detect any issues and treat them, if there is something going on. My daughter has had to wear one a couple times. Yea, I don't think you're supposed to shower with it. Even though it's detachable, you're probably not supposed to get the leads wet. It might be difficult to do Imax3 with it on with all the jumping. It would be interesting to see how your heart reacts to it, though. Could you imagine the tech looking at the report?? I wouldn't worry about the sweat loosening the lead things. Those things were impossible to get off. They did give us some solvent that helped, but it was really painful for my daughter getting those things off.

Joanne: Thanks! Yup! You are right! It's better to detect anything early on time to be able to take care of it. I'm probably going to put my DH waist band to hold that monitor tight. If not, then I might just need to switch the workout to a low impact workout. LOL! If I did manage to do Imax 3 I would wonder what the tech would think when he see's the results, lol!! That would be funny. I'm going to make sure the doc puts on those sticky things that are sweat proof or something because I need to workout. We'll see how it goes tomorrow :)

Well, time for me to cook dinner. I'm making Florida Seafood Casserole, YUMM!!! :)

Beth, so you own a software company? Are you in Southern Cal or Northern? (And OMG I saw $3.99 at a gas station off the freeway today!) It's funny about the username though. I own two domains - hottiescientist.com and princesssnarky.com Hottiescientist was a joke between me and a postdoc from UW and Princess Snarky was DH's pet name for me because of my ever so sweet (yeah, right!) personality. So, if you ever see PSnark or anything of that variation on other forums, its me too :)

Joanne, I didn't get any DVDs with the Step (I bought the gray one from Amazon because I had a gift card) but 4DS uses it during the weight segment and I'm going to get HST with this bundle for DH. Probably on Thursday I'll attack the thing. But DH is having fun with it in the meantime.

Hottie, yes, BitMover is the software company my husband and I started just about 10 years ago! It's been a wild ride, but we're still here..... we are in northern CA -- we were in San Francisco for a long time, but moved to the Santa Cruz mountains almost three years ago. The company is located in Campbell, Ca -- not that you know where that is! :)

Did you fill up at $3.99?!

-Beth

Joanne wow it is truly amazing what medical science can do. I know it must be a stressful time for you. how is Caitlyn feeling about the up and coming surgery She is 6 right?
What a great run you had. I still need to go and drive and see how far I ran. I went a different route so I am not sure. I thinking it was 5 miles.

Hottie, is $3.99 low or high for California? I'm thinking low, right? That's low for us now - we're up on the $4.10's, I think - I try not to look - it hurts too much :( Princess Snarky - that's cute! I could see my DH applying that to me!!

Lori, we haven't actually told Caitlyn yet. She frets about things like loosing a tooth, will it hurt, etc., or getting a splinter. The tiniest scratch throws her into a meltdown! She may surprise us, but I just don't want her to worry about it. She goes in for pre-op testing on the 15th, which is a Monday. I figured we'll talk to her about it that weekend. She'll be six on Sept. 6.

Time to get ready to home...yea!

Hey Hottie...

I am totally floored that you know Caltech. NOBODY knows the school unless they live out here or they're in science. Like, they made #1 in the rankings the year after I entered and then they were forgotten (despite the fact that they're in the top 10 every year). A lot of people think Cal Poly instead which drives me crazy sometimes.

Both DH and I went to Caltech for undergrad. DH left science to pursue Journalism and he got into USC's Annenberg J-school so I followed him there so now I'm stuck...erm pursuing my Ph.D. in molecular biology/biochemistry (I do more of the latter but the official title will be in the first) at SC. I specifically work on molecular switches in aging and DNA repair.

Just wanted to chime in that even though I'm Canadia, I certainly know Cal Tech and its repped as highly as MIT here when individuals are looking to attend a science based graduate program in the US. Because of proximity, many of my engineering and nanotechnology obsessed friends end up going to MIT or other schools in the East. I orginally earned my first degree in food science and nutrition (i know the cadbury secret...shhh) and was this close to going to Cornell...than one of these huge life altering experiences happened and I ended up surprising everyone by changing professions and another degree (I'm a nurse) and yet another degree :rolleyes: after working and becoming obsessed with public health, health policy and health promotion. I totally feel you on the supportive partner/family thing...I could not do this without Faith, Family and my completely amazing fiance who is just as crazy and an overacheiver :rolleyes:. That restaurant looks good, have fun....I can't wait to here your reviews. I look forward to visiting and eventually living in California soon..!!!
P.S. Your project sounds amazing! Do you see yourself staying in research?

Last edited:
Hi there Ivy....

Hello again! I just finished B&G Premix 2 and I was ok till the end. At the end when it was down on four leg lift I wasn’t into it, then I skipped the second round of leg lift. My mind is somewhere else right now. I have to go to the doc tomorrow to get this heart rate monitor that I must use for 24 hours to make sure nothing is wrong with my heart since I’ve been feeling extra hard beats in my chest, don’t know if it’s the heart or not, but doc wants to make sure.

I hope you had a great workout today! Kudos for having a great MD who is checking to make sure that everything is physiologically okay with your heart. Wearing the monitor will be a bit awkward at first, but than you won't notice it and soon you will be exercising away. My thoughts are with you...please try not to worry...the monitor will know lol :D

Hi there jojobean...

Caitlyn has to have open heart surgery. She was born with a heart defect and had surgery when she was around 2. Now she has to have the artificial conduit they put in her heart replaced. We knew it would have to happen eventually, but it was still quite a shock. The surgery isn't until Sept. 18.

QUOTE]

Hi there,
I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers will be with your family. Justine :)

Hi everyone...

Ohhh..I splurged big time on dessert with yesterday (the most nuttiest Baklava... 4 large butter cookies) and today DVD's...I finally ordered CTX DVD version to replace my overly used VHS tapes and 6 classic Firm DVD's. I don't feel guilty at all:confused:

Kathy, Nurse34, Lori, Iris and bitmover,
I hope you had an amazing workout today...

Chris,
That's an awesome picture...is Kathy nice in person. She seems so personable on tape

Last edited:
You girls have been busy today!!

Hottie: Glad to hear your knee isn't serious. Rest sounds like a good idea. I'm not so sure I could sit and watch ANYONE do a Cathe workout, while I 'rested' though! Though it is super cool that your DH does the workouts too. Mine is uber supportive of me and my workouts, encourages me to get whatever I want (new workouts, equipment, etc), but he doesn't work out. He's always got some project he's doing in his spare time, and never gets to workouts, though he sometimes wishes he did! The High Step is used in so many weight workouts (i.e. LEG PRESSES!!), as well as HSC and HST. I'm so glad I got it! it's made a difference.

Thanks everyone for commenting on "kathy & me" picture! I used to post on Kathy's site (she was teamed up with iVillage and has since severed that relationship), and got to know her there. She did a lot what Cathe does here. Answers questions, etc. She asked about "Success Stories" , and I happened to be one! I used to do just about ALL of her STEP workouts, and that's what I did when I lost my ton of weight. She is VERY nice, VERY healthy! AND has a ton of energy. She was running around her house, making smoothies for us! ... trying to make us feel comfortable. She sat and talked with me a bunch, and shared pictures of her family. And, before the commercial, her and her manager/best buddie (who's also in Project: YOU workouts) took me up in her bedroom, had me trying on some of her workout outfits, AND gave me one! (She had 2 closets FULL of them! :D). I had my make up done in her bathroom ! Isn't that crazy? She's super SUPER nice!!

It's almost 8 here, I got to go, so I can watch Michael Phelps swim!!!

Hi again everyone!!

We have been a chatty bunch today!! It is great..It just may take me a while to get through them all. HAHA

I decided to do PowerMax today off the Cardio Hits DVD..I was sweating like crazy. I used the 8" step and lowered to 6" for the very end. I think the last 10 minutes..

Iris: I agree. Hamstrings and glutes are the worst. Getting in and out of the car is painful and going to the restroom isn't fun either. I also don't enjoy sore chest muscles. You know when it hurts to raise your arms up in the air!

Ivy: How was the park this morning. We are enjoying some nicer weather too..Hope the heart is ok. enjoy those cookbooks. I have that one Jessica Seinfeld wrote with adding veggies to food. It is great!

Lisa: What kind of step class did you do? Was it Cathe intense?

Chris: Thanks for sharing the photo with Kathy. That must have been so exciting! I have a few of her DVDs and years ago I did them alot. Not so much anymore. I do have a pilates one that I do occasionally that I like. How did you get involved in that project.

Joanne: I am keeping Caitlyn in my prayers. I hope everything goes ok..

Beth: What kind of camp do your kids attend? I can't believe that the summer is almost over. Boy did it fly by!!

Lori: That is an amazing run. Not sure I could go that long. Maybe I would have a better shot at it with music to listen to. I usually run with anything and I get bored. I know I am liking the nice weather. But, the pool will be closing soon and we haven't felt like swimming lately..

Hottie: Yes, Cedie was in Powermax..She looks great in all the workouts. I think Rhonda was in it too and the other 2 not sure who they are..I would get a second opinion too if it doesn't start feeling better soon. You want to catch a problem before it gets worse! Sounds like great plans for your hubby's bday! What awesome presents too! Something that he could use and enjoy as well as you..

Justine: Big hello..Enjoy those dvds..

Hi

I hope you had a great workout today! Kudos for having a great MD who is checking to make sure that everything is physiologically okay with your heart. Wearing the monitor will be a bit awkward at first, but than you won't notice it and soon you will be exercising away. My thoughts are with you...please try not to worry...the monitor will know lol :D

Thanks so much :) I'm glad he's my doc. The ones I had in VA were awful! All they wanted to give me was meds without checking me out.

Hi again everyone!!

We have been a chatty bunch today!! It is great..It just may take me a while to get through them all. HAHA

I decided to do PowerMax today off the Cardio Hits DVD..I was sweating like crazy. I used the 8" step and lowered to 6" for the very end. I think the last 10 minutes..

Iris: I agree. Hamstrings and glutes are the worst. Getting in and out of the car is painful and going to the restroom isn't fun either. I also don't enjoy sore chest muscles. You know when it hurts to raise your arms up in the air!

Ivy: How was the park this morning. We are enjoying some nicer weather too..Hope the heart is ok. enjoy those cookbooks. I have that one Jessica Seinfeld wrote with adding veggies to food. It is great!

Lisa: What kind of step class did you do? Was it Cathe intense?

Chris: Thanks for sharing the photo with Kathy. That must have been so exciting! I have a few of her DVDs and years ago I did them alot. Not so much anymore. I do have a pilates one that I do occasionally that I like. How did you get involved in that project.

Joanne: I am keeping Caitlyn in my prayers. I hope everything goes ok..

Beth: What kind of camp do your kids attend? I can't believe that the summer is almost over. Boy did it fly by!!

Lori: That is an amazing run. Not sure I could go that long. Maybe I would have a better shot at it with music to listen to. I usually run with anything and I get bored. I know I am liking the nice weather. But, the pool will be closing soon and we haven't felt like swimming lately..

Hottie: Yes, Cedie was in Powermax..She looks great in all the workouts. I think Rhonda was in it too and the other 2 not sure who they are..I would get a second opinion too if it doesn't start feeling better soon. You want to catch a problem before it gets worse! Sounds like great plans for your hubby's bday! What awesome presents too! Something that he could use and enjoy as well as you..

Justine: Big hello..Enjoy those dvds..

Kathy: WTG on Power Max, that's one of my fav workouts on CH. The park was very nice. The weather here is getting great! It used to feel like an oven before, but now it's starting to feel nice outside. Thanks, about the heart :) I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. Now I'm going to bed..Goodnight everyone!

Chris: That is super awesome! I can't believe you got a wo clothing from Kathy. Do they still show the commercial you were in?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.