August 2015 Fit Mommas Check-in

Hi Roz!

Great workouts for you! What has been your overall impression of the programs so far? What is your favorite aspect of what you've been doing lately (like just having fun with it, or seeing results in certain areas)? Just curious! ;)

We've been sick over here (simple colds), so workouts the past few days have been sporadic. I did a KCM Step Boxing workout on Thursday, but then I hurt my right foot that evening. I think I have another foot issue I need to deal with. I'll email you more about it. I'm still able to walk, but high impact cardio is out for now. Yesterday I felt well enough to do MM UB premix. I have definitely made improvements in my UB strength. One area where I notice it is push-ups. I still do not like them but I am going longer, lower, stronger in all my push-ups. Yay! :)

Have a wonderful rest of your weekend. Look forward to hearing what you've been up to! Hugs!

Lisa

Sending Happy Monday vibes your way! How are you today, Roz?

I don't think I mentioned this yesterday, but Sunday was a rest day. Today was STS Meso 1 Disc 12 Legs. My foot can tolerate this right now without any pain whatsoever, just not any high impact cardio. Weird. Reminds me of what was randomly bothering your foot a few weeks ago, except this is in my toe box area.

Off to run errands before the rain strikes! XOXO!

Lisa

Funny, I thought I posted this yesterday, but I guess my mommy brain made me trail off... o_O
Hi Lisa,
Is it really August?!
Geez, so sorry to hear about your colds. :( I hope your sporadic workouts have brought you some good energy. Nice work on your KCM workout and MM UB! And yay for strong upper bodies! You're awesome! :) And isn't it so great to have strong arms for toddler-hauling? Man, I don't know how I'd do it all without strength training.
I'm really loving GSF2 so far, but I've only done 3 workouts (no new once since last check-in), so I think I need another week before I can say why I'm enjoying it so much.

OK, that's where I trailed off yesterday! :rolleyes: I'm glad the forum saved my draft...
Yesterday, I ran four miles with the stroller. I know, what?! But it was a really nice morning, and I didn't feel like sprinting, but wanted more than walking. It was fun! Although I forgot how HUNGRY 'regular cardio' makes me. I ate plenty of food, but I still felt crave-y all day, not in a particularly pleasant way.

Today was week 2, workout 1 of GSF2! Sleep was lousy last night, but I guess biofeedback saved the day again, because I had a great workout. Goblet squats, a superset of bodyweight lateral lunges and RKC planks, and DB Romanian Deadlifts. I added on ManBearPig from LWF2 (only 10 mins) -- I was proud that I made it though the finisher, and it was fun!

Not sure what tomorrow holds, but hopefully tonight holds better sleep...
Hope you're foot's OK -- what a pain! Ugh. I hope your foot isn't getting in the way of everyday life... I look forward to your update, but no rush (as ever)!
Today was errands for us, too -- hope your are going well!
Hugs, Roz

OK, that's where I trailed off yesterday! :rolleyes: I'm glad the forum saved my draft...

LOL, my life in a nutshell. :)

Niiice workouts, and yeah, I'm just as shocked as you by your 4 mile run. Not that you aren't powerful enough to manage it, just that it's not something you (or I) prefer to do. ITA on the hangry cardio monster, especially when it comes to running. Also, you've done ManBearPig before, correct? Is that one of your faves, like me + Strong UB Live? :p Look forward to your GSF2 review once you get more familiar w/the program.

Today I did a 30 min KCM Plyo routine + some standing core from her Circuit Burn. Followed the low impact modifier and foot felt just fine. I was definitely sweating. Felt great. Also this little foot tweak has made me glad I pre-ordered ICE. I need some more workouts that aren't 100% all out killers.

Have a great day. I made some yummy all-day, not-just-for-breakfast cake this morning. Can't wait to dig in later. If the smell is any indication of taste...WOW!!! Thanks for enabling my CB obsession, girl!

XOXO,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
While I'm interested in your workouts, I must say I'm at least equally eager to hear your cake report. ;)

Yes, I did ManBearPig once before, and loved it -- I will do it again soon!

Great job on your KCM workout! So sorry about your foot pain, though. :(

Today was GSF2: one-arm push presses, a superset of suspension trainer inverted rows and suspension trainer face pulls, and a superset of double racked carries and resistance band pull-aparts. Lots of volume, so no finisher -- I was finished already! :)

Thank you so much for your lovely message, my friend. I will get back to you when my, um, 'manager' gives me permission. ;) We're getting an eye tooth -- ouch!
Big hugs,
Roz

While I'm interested in your workouts, I must say I'm at least equally eager to hear your cake report. ;)

Obviously. This goes without saying! ;) I had to halve the leavening agents as I do w/every recipe since there is something about where I live that gives leavening agents super powers and I cut the sugar to 1/3c so it wouldn't be too crazy sweet (1/4c might even be better). The end result? Perfection in a pan. This will be a go-to for sure, and you could have all sorts of fun with add-ins on this one.

Today was GSF2: one-arm push presses, a superset of suspension trainer inverted rows and suspension trainer face pulls, and a superset of double racked carries and resistance band pull-aparts. Lots of volume, so no finisher -- I was finished already! :)

Whoa, this workout sounds rigorous!!! Maybe one of the toughest you have described yet. On the whole so far, do you feel energized or depleted by these GSF2 workouts? Maybe it's too soon to answer that query as well...

Foot is doing progressively better and new shoes are definitely helping. Thanks for your concern. :)

Today I did GS CT. I was majorly dreading those push-ups but ended up doing the best I've probably ever done. I've done them all on my toes for a long time now but my range of motion was almost on par w/Cathe's. But let the record reflect that I still hate push-ups. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, we must abide by our manager's instructions. My manager #2 has helped me become wickedly good at 1-handed typing. ;)

HUGS + CB all-day cake!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
The cake sounds divine -- I will put it at the top of my to-make list! :D

Great job on GS CT. That one is a toughie for sure. I remember doing it after STS Meso 3 thinking I'd really increase the weights Cathe uses. Nope! Those pushups are a pre-workout finisher -- you're done before you start!

I definitely feel energized by the GSF2 program -- I think much of what I love about it is that you listen to you body on a daily basis and choose your own adventure, so what you're doing that day is bound to feel good! At this point I don't feel I have room for metabolic/LWF2 stuff on off-days. I'm really feeling it -- no hardcore DOMS but I've got some soreness all over. In a good way. :)

I've actually continued running and run-walk-sprinting on off days (including today). It's nice to get my heart pumping, include DD, and let my muscles (mostly) rest. Not sure how long I'll continue, but it's working for me as I acclimate to GSF2.

I had a large spoonful of that new CB cream cheese on a bowl of coconut rice this morning. Yum! Like you, I'm not a bagel person, but there are some serious options for CBCC vehicles! :D

Tomorrow's deadlifts -- wish me luck!
Hugs, Roz

Howdy Roz!

Thanks for the GSF2 program feedback. It really does seem to be suiting you. :) Also, I'm sorry if I sounded discouraging about your running adventures. If it feels good, GO for it!!! Plus I am sure your little princess loves those fast carriage rides. :cool:

Today I did RWH Low Impact HiiT One for the first time. I Loved It!!! Totally low impact but not the typical apple pickers, squat presses, and so on. I wanted a wee bit more so I just repeated about 10 mins of the moves. My foot is still weird but this felt 100% comfortable and pain-free. My fave move was the thrusters to surfer stance. Fun fun fun!!!

Oh, CBCC, you will be in my belly as soon as I get to TJ's. I agree, many uses besides bagels. I'm thinking a dollop in smoothies, homemade CB cheesecake, in oatmeal, on fruit, slightly melted and stirred into plain Greek yogurt. Currently drooling on my keyboard. :)

Have a great day, my dear, and dreaming of crazy awesome deadlifts for you tomorrow!

Lisa

TGIF!!!

GS BSB for me today. Felt really strong. Not much more to say than that, just the usual goings on over here! I hope to be back tomorrow and then Sunday will be a rest day as usual. Did you get to those deadlifts today?

Hugs!

Lisa

Great work!! Love that one. IIRC, Cathe really takes no prisoners on the biceps (and forearms and wrists).

And yes! I did conventional deadlifts today, as they tested best. I decided to test my one-rep max (Dave suggests doing this at some point, and you're supposed to do it again on the last week of the program). Another PR, 245! Which is a hair over 1.75x bodyweight. Yeah! 2x bw (275) is far away but I think I'll get there at some point...
Anyways, today's workout was LONG, probably because I need a bit more rest between DL sets? Not sure. Anyways, conventional deadlifts (mostly working around 205# for 4 reps per set), chinups, and a superset of kroc rows and standing resistance band crunches.

I think I'll run again tomorrow (oh, and I totally didn't feel judged by you! I agree! It's totally not something I'd normally do), then rest Sunday. Hopefully I can work in some circuits on off-days soon, but I've just been needing more non-lifting days with GSF2. I guess that's a good sign! :)

'See' you soon, my friend!
Roz

Oh good, I'm glad I didn't offend about the running so now I have the green light to tease with reckless abandon! :rolleyes: Kidding, of course. I can only imagine the gush of wind people feel as you rush by on your run. Hope it was a fun one for you today.

Stellar work on those deadlifts! High fives up high, down low, all around, repeat repeat repeat!!!

Yep, biceps and forearms DOMS for me today. Had a good workout with Cardio Boxing + Lower Body Blasts Live from April. I'm soooooo glad I purchased the Everlast boxing gloves. Most definitely my best fitness toy purchase this year.

I'll likely be silent tomorrow so 'see' ya on Monday, mi amiga!

Lisa

Great work!! Love that one. IIRC, Cathe really takes no prisoners on the biceps (and forearms and wrists).

And yes! I did conventional deadlifts today, as they tested best. I decided to test my one-rep max (Dave suggests doing this at some point, and you're supposed to do it again on the last week of the program). Another PR, 245! Which is a hair over 1.75x bodyweight. Yeah! 2x bw (275) is far away but I think I'll get there at some point...
Anyways, today's workout was LONG, probably because I need a bit more rest between DL sets? Not sure. Anyways, conventional deadlifts (mostly working around 205# for 4 reps per set), chinups, and a superset of kroc rows and standing resistance band crunches.

I think I'll run again tomorrow (oh, and I totally didn't feel judged by you! I agree! It's totally not something I'd normally do), then rest Sunday. Hopefully I can work in some circuits on off-days soon, but I've just been needing more non-lifting days with GSF2. I guess that's a good sign! :)

'See' you soon, my friend!
Roz
Geeze Roz...great job!! Impressed here!!

Hi Lisa,
Great job on the Live workout -- I don't think I've done that one. I've often contemplated buying some of those gloves, but I always end up just holding a pound of weight in each hand. Ah, maybe soon!
And I hear ya about increasing excitement for ICE. ITA that less-than-100%-intensity workouts are so useful! I'd love them now, actually. I ran again on Saturday (6 miles!), but I'm starting to tire of running. Hoping I can find some good LWF2s that feel more like a straight cardio workout. I'm still getting toasted from every GSF2 workout! Including today's: front squats (I FINALLY started holding it in the two-finger rack position instead of the arms-crossed ones [feel free to insert the correct terms]), a superset of bodyweight lateral lunges and crunches, and finally DB RDLs. I finished it off with an 8-min LWF2: The Bodysnatcher! Fun!
Hope you had a great rest day yesterday and a great workout today! Talk soon.

Tom and Lisa, thanks for the high fives! Gotta say, I'm loving the deadlifts these days. :) And they actually feel good. Biofeedback testing to thank?
Roz

Roz, I'd been doing kickboxing workouts for years w/1lb weights or weighted lifting gloves but the Everlast gloves have a much more authentic, boxy feel. The are lighter--12oz as opposed to 160z--but my body feels much more connected to the punches since they feel like a natural extension of the hands. Plus I got the pink ones so they are super cute. :) The only drawback is that the hands do get sweaty inside the gloves but it doesn't bother me much. Sorry, not trying to be pushy but rather give a complete assessment as to why I like them so much.

Woot woot for your 6 miles! Almost a 10K! Since I'm being pushy already today, I may as well continue...if your budget allows, have you considered adding Cathe Live back into the mix for a month or so? It might give you the cardio variety you are looking for. Just my obnoxious 2 cents. ;)

Another great GSF2 workout for you today! I honestly don't know the correct terminology for the front squat hand positions either, so you could call them whatever you want and I would just think "wow, that Roz is so smart!" :)

I decided to delve into Meso 2 legs today, your favorite LOL! I selected Disc 20 and had a superior workout. I always use my notes from the last go 'round of each STS disc and add new notes each time, and I'm proud to say I had a couple PRs: a PR on the 45 degree same leg lunges and a PR on the slide back disc lunges (which I truly truly loathe). My legs have been screaming at me all day so I'm pretty sure some awesome DOMS are in store!

Be back tomorrow!!! Have a good one.

Lisa

More random STS workouts from me! Today I reached for Meso 2 disc 21, Back + Biceps. More increases in my weight loads from the last time I did this disc. Yay! I also added some cardio acceleration moves during the 1 min breaks because otherwise I'm just bored. ;) I realize I'm not doing STS the way it was designed but I've done the program from start to finish so many times that I feel like I am knowledgeable enough to tinker with it. Plus, I'm really trying to keep my workouts as playtime these days and I am just focusing on having fun while being balanced.

Hugs and I'm off for the rest of the day's activities!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Great work on your STS workouts, and high fives for your progress and PRs! That's great!
And ITA that workout time is playtime. I fully support you in pursuing any sort of program-unorthodoxy that feels right (e.g., STS dilettantism). I have been LOVING owning my workouts. No one/no program can 'make' me do a workout I'm not in the mood for/up for!
Speaking of, I had a blast with LWF2 today. I did Breathe and Burn, subbing BB for sandbag and KBs. Those explosive lifts really wind me! Finished it off with ~10 mins of Jill Coleman's LWF2 contribution, Delt Domination, which I've done a bunch of times (but rarely do all 15 mins of, as it's so intense), and love.
Thanks for the info on the Everlast gloves -- they sound great! I love the boxing cardios.
Re: Cathe Live, I will definitely get back to it at some point (maybe with the ICE release), but I actually feel up to a bit of LWF2 on off-days now -- yay! I fully support your Cath-e-nabling me, though! Honestly, the main thing is that, if I do a DVD/video workout, I try to squeeze it in during naptime (or before DD wakes, which has me getting up wayyyyy too early), whereas if I'm just lifting on my own, I can stick DD in her workout high chair and give her breakfast and multitask (and do something else during naptime) -- which at this moment, is kinda gold for me.
What are you doing for the chinups/pullups in Meso 2 back? I've only done STS using the tubing option, but I never loved that one.
OK, I'm off -- have a great day! Tomorrow I'll probably just walk/hike/yoga, so you might not hear from me till Thursday.
Hugs to you and the gals,
Roz

Roz, you always make me chuckle. Love your wit. You really could write your notable quotables down and sell them. Thanks for being a natural source of Prozac for me! :p

Hope you get in the movement of your choice today. I did RK w/ heavy bag bonus.

Xs + Os.

Lisa

ETA: we have Cathe's power tower for pull-ups and chin-ups. It gets the job done but I would like to graduate to something else eventually...of course, I guess I should actually start doing pull-ups regularly first.

Hi Lisa,
Oh, I think you know how much I love RK! Great work! :D

Yesterday walk walking and yoga. Today was GSF2 with barbell push presses, a superset suspension trainer inverted rows and DB reverse flys, and a superset of double farmer carries and biceps curls.
Finished it off with Iron Mitts for 5 mins and 'The Back Rub' for ~5 mins (both LWF2). Fun!

Tomorrow I'll probably take a little hike, and be back Saturday.

Hugs!
Roz

More STS dilettantism for me today with Disc 19 CST and this one is 69 minutes looooong! Of course I randomly selected the STS week with the 69 minute whopper of a workout! I added cardio blasts during most of the 1 minute breaks but when it got to triceps I fast forwarded through the breaks since my ability to push the weight load on triceps is limited (or, more honestly, non-existent).

Ahhh, The Back Rub. That sounds relaxing. I'm pretty sure she tricked the world with that title! ;) Nice job on pumping the iron and bodyweight today, and hooray for your walking and hiking.

Since I won't be seeing you until Saturday, I hope the rest of your week is terrific. Hugs!

Lisa

PS Have you done any more experimenting with the CB cream cheese? I haven't made it out to TJ's yet but I'm itching to get my sticky CB fingers on some!

Cardio for me today, KCM 30 Min to Fitness Quick Cardio. A nice little hi/lo routine. Did both workouts which amounted to 50 mins. She has such a pleasant personality and really makes working out fun.

Hope you had a lovely hike today. Take care!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.