Attitude of gratitude article?

pjlippert

Cathlete
Hi all,

Quite some time ago I had read an incredible 'article' or write-up regarding having appreciation or gratitude for the things we often take for granted. If someone has the full write up, could you please post it? It went something like this....

When I complain about doing laundry, I remind myself that I should be thankful that I have clothes on my back that need to be washed and that I have the means to keep them clean.

When I complain about doing the dishes, I remind myself that I have healthy food to put on the table to nourish my family.

When I complain about cleaning the house, I remind myself that I am very blessed to have a roof over my head regardless of how big or small it is, it protects us from the elements and keeps us safe and warm.

When I start to yell at my kids, husband, or other family member, I remember that many people don't have or know or are estranged from their family members.

I wish I had the full 'real' version and would appreciate having it again. It truly changes the perspective of things and can be a very beautiful reminder of all that we are soooo blessed with!!

Thank you!
Pam

Sorry that I can't help you with this, Pam, but I just wanted to say that I really try to live my life with this "attitude of gratitude" and want my children to do the same. You're so right that it really changes our perspective of things! :)

Erica

I couldn't agree more. I also heard a study mentioned on the news that stated those who were more grateful tended to be happier people.:) I would presume those folks might also have less stress and perhaps live longer lives.....but I am just speculating.

I always try to remember that today is just another day in paradise. Even though it's kinda tough to feel that way on a Monday.:p

I hope someone has the full article......I'd love to see it.

I used to complain about having to go grocery shopping. One day my mom told me that I should be glad I have enough money to BUY groceries. She is right. Now when I'm tempted to complain about it I just remind myself how lucky I am.

Annie

I can't answer your question but I just wanted to add that when I complain about paying bills I remind myself that I am fortunate to have the money to pay them. That thought brightens everything up and I can actually enjoy what I view as chores.

A couple of years ago I was going through a bad time. I wrote up a gratitude list and kept it by my bed and read it every night before I went to bed. It was a great reminder of what is really important.

I love all of these great stories!! I started keeping a gratitude journal at the beginning of the year. I love the list idea by my bed, it's a great way to begin and end the day!! :D

Pam

I don't know if you meant this one, but it was published in an Ann Landers column.

Things To Be Thankful For

Dear Ann Landers: I hope you will print something a friend in Australia sent me. I think it's perfect to run on Thanksgiving. -- Bee in Fairfax, Va.

Dear Bee: Please send my best wishes and warm thanks to your friend in Australia. Here's the thoughtful piece she sent:

Things to Be Thankful For
• Be thankful for the clothes that fit a little too snug, because it means you have enough to eat.
• Be thankful for the mess you clean up after a party, because it means you have been surrounded by friends.
• Be thankful for the taxes you pay, because it means you're employed. • Be thankful that your lawn needs mowing and your windows need fixing, because
it means you have a home.
• Be thankful for your heating bill, because it means you are warm.
• Be thankful for the laundry, because it means you have clothes to wear.
• Be thankful for the space you find at the far end of the parking lot, because it means you can walk.
• Be thankful for the lady who sings off-key behind you in church, because it means you can hear.
• Be thankful when people complain about the government, because it means we have freedom of speech.
• Be thankful for the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours, because it means you're alive.

You might also like this little book: Attitudes of Gratitude. Now is a fitting time for me to re-read it myself. Thanks for your post!

Hi Cathy!! THAT'S IT!! This is the article!! Thank you sooo much for sharing! What a great Mother's Day gift!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! :D:D:D

Yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Pam

I received this in my email and it made me think of this thread. I thought I'd post. Sometimes a little perspective is a powerful thing!;)

Taking Care of You

Drink plenty of water.
Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.
Eat more fruits and vegetables and eat less that is manufactured in processing plants.
Avoid eating food that is handed to you through a window.
Live the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy.
Play more games.
Read more books than you did in 2009.
Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
Sleep for 7 hours.
Take a 10-30 minute walk daily. And while you walk, smile.

Your Outlook

Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
Don't have negative thoughts of things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
Don't overdo. Keep your limits.
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
Don't waste your precious energy on gossip.
Dream more while you are awake.
Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
Forget issues of the past. Don't remind others of their past mistakes.
Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
Learn a new word every day.
Smile and laugh more.
You don't have to win every argument.

Your Relationships

Call your family often.
Each day give something good to others.
Forgive everyone for everything.
Spend time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
Try to make at least three people smile each day.
What other people think of you is none of your business.
Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.

Your Life

The worst promise you can break is one made to yourself.
Do the right thing!
Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
The best is yet to come.
When you awake alive in the morning, thank God for it.
Your Innermost Self is always happy. Follow it.
No matter how you feel, get up, dress up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.