Are you "obsessed"

tvan_horn

Cathlete
My husband informed me last night that I am obsessed with exercise. I usually don't check the forums at home (gotta have something to do at work, right). Anyway, it was rainy outside, so I was on the computer and he came in to see what I was doing and found me on this website.

He said that if I am not working out, I am either reading about it, looking at workout gear in a magazine, on Cathe.com or something workout related. I have been working out with Cathe for nearly 8 years, so he should be used to it by now.

My birthday is this week and so I let him off the hook and ordered new shoes for by b-day present. I also treated myself to a couple (4) new pairs of shorts and few new pairs of sock and some much-needed new sports bras (which he doesn't know about yet). I don't want anything for my birthday that isn't workout related. Still want to get some more of the Hard Core series too, but gotta let the credit card cool off.

In some ways I know that he is kidding and just jealous of my commitment to my own well-being. He really does enjoy the benefits of my efforts! But I also know that he gets a little jealous of the time that I spend working out, instead of time spent with him.

So how does your obsession manifest itself and how do you deal with those who think you are obsessed?

I kept thinking of the post from a few weeks back with the quote: "Obsessed is a term lazy people use to describe DEDICATED!"

I certainly couldn't bring myself to repeat this to my husband and incinuate that he is lazy!

Just wondering who else is obsessed!! Misery loves company!

Tina

RE: Are you

I am right there with you Tina!!! I am positive I drive my DH crazy with my exercise. I do joke about myself and say I have OCD, with exercise being the drug that helps...:)...

My DH also come here when I am on the Cathe forums and wants to see what I am doing. I really think he just wants to see the pictures of some of the ladies here!!!

I don't really worry what people think about my obsession...as there are worse things to obsess about...:)...

I have worked out with Cathe for about 13 years besides distance running and it makes me very happy...:)...Carole

YAY!!! I'm not alone!!!

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who's DH thinks they are nuts!!

The funny thing about my DH is that I workout early in the morning when he is asleep which doesn't affect him and I workout during my lunchbreak at work which doesn't affect him and he still has something to say.

Another funny thing is that he got me everything I have in my home gym which is quite a bit. Now...if I didn't use it he would have a fit!! I do use it and he still has a fit!!

I've determined that you just can't please anyone so just do what makes you happy as long as you keep things in perspective.

~Marietta
FITXME
http://www.picturetrail.com/fitxme

Maybe my husband has a twin that I don't know about because he is the same way!!!!! I know I motivate him though by talking about it so much and working out. He just hates for me to talk about ONE thing ALL the time. Once I get my mind set on something, my mouth takes over... and it never shuts off, and it drives him nutso! Needless to say, I am set on working out all the time and talking about it so I feel for him! LOL! Can't help it, but I am a very passionate driven person!!!

Charlotte~~

I'm obsessed, I know I am. The other day my dh said that if we win the lottery (fat chance there!) then we'd go to the Bahamas and other islands like that and just leisure around. My first thought was, "Will there be a gym I could go to and how am I going to get my Cathe's in?" I didn't say this outloud, however, he probably would have divorced me! LOL!!!
Debbie in OH

If it's an obsession, it's better than most!

Or is it a "hobby," which is something people spend a lot of time on. Certainly more useful than something like collecting dolls or stamps or Star Trek memorabilia.

Or is it a "lifestyle"? Something that is part of your everyday life?

I'm good in this area, cuz my hubby is amost as obssessed as I am with fitness. He doesn't go on any forums on the computer, but he works out religiously every morning (him in the basement and me on the first floor). We both get up EXTREMELY early to accomplish this and he also reads men's fitness magazines. We want to grow old gracefully and exercise helps us accomplish this.

He does, however, tell me (from time to time) when he sees me working out on my rest day -- "you know, Lora, it won't kill you to take a rest day". Other times he says that it won't kill me to take recovery weeks (which I kind of actually just started doing very recently, but not that often). He also understands I'm trying to lose a few pounds and want to do the extra cardio on my "rest" day and most of the time he is right there with me for the same reason. Call us obssessed, but at least we're both in it together. LOL....my cat's seem to have obssessive compulsive behavior also and I just mentioned that to a coworker the other day. I wonder if it's cuz they live with us.

Like you, I visit this forum very often (twice a day, usually), read magazines, etc. I think that is a way to keep motivation going and, like Marietta says, as long as you keep things in perspective, I don't think that is unhealthy. In fact, the oppossite is true: You are caring about your health!

(Obssesion is overtraining, abusing your body, or having anorexia.)

I guess I'm lucky because my DH is as "obsessed...dedicated" as me. Like Lora and her DH, we both get up early. He goes to the gym and I work out in the basement. I know some of our friends and family probably think we're nuts. Oh well! Like Carole said, we could be obsessed about worse things!

Dallas

>YAY!!! I'm not alone!!!
>
>I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who's DH thinks
>they are nuts!!
>
>The funny thing about my DH is that I workout early in the
>morning when he is asleep which doesn't affect him and I
>workout during my lunchbreak at work which doesn't affect him
>and he still has something to say.
>
>Another funny thing is that he got me everything I have in my
>home gym which is quite a bit. Now...if I didn't use it he
>would have a fit!! I do use it and he still has a fit!!
>
>I've determined that you just can't please anyone so just do
>what makes you happy as long as you keep things in
>perspective.
>
>
>
>~Marietta
>FITXME
>http://www.picturetrail.com/fitxme

Marietta, this is the first time viewing your pics. You are beautiful! I love the biker outfit. It's HOT! :) :)

Lori

Yep ;) I'd have to say I'm somewhat obsessed, myself. I don't workout everyday, because I really can't with a toddler underfoot, nor do I have the energy left to spend w/ my hubby & doing other things I love. I do have to prioritize a bit.

However, working out is VERY important to me, especially since I started with Cathe in March of this year. I've seen changes that have never happened to me since working out with Cathe, and I have been working out fairly religiously for almost 15 years. My hubby loves the benefits as well! Hubby kids me about my obsession but doesn't mind it. He doesn't workout as much as me anymore due to working full time and going to law school part time, but he does do it on the weekends.

I swear, I check the boards & oftentimes if I wanted to rest you gals motivate me to get going. Sometimes that is good and other times we do ourselves in, you know? I love it all the same though :)

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

>The funny thing about my DH is that I workout early in the
>morning when he is asleep which doesn't affect him and I
>workout during my lunchbreak at work which doesn't affect him
>and he still has something to say.
>

Yes, I do the same with BF & he always has something to say too!

Oh, I'm obsessed as well. My job does not require a lot of concentration, so I spend a lot of time during the day on the forums. But sometimes I'll log on at night as well. DH just shakes his head.

My hubby works out every day as well, but he's not as avid about reading about it as often as possible! He will make comments like, "You really work out hard." But, he's quick to add, "But that's a good thing." (Of course, if he's suffering gtom MPS (Male Pout Syndrome) then he doesn't add that last part, but, I pretend he does as I know he likes the results.

As women tend to be more motivated in a social setting, and we use Cathe DVD's in a home environment, then I think a forum like this keeps us motivated. I love the ideas that y'all come up with, and you push me past what I thought I could do. So, let my DH make his little comments. I'll just ignore them.

I loooooooove to work out. My hubby and I work out together every morning at 5am Mon thru Fri. at the gym. It is so funny that you bring this up. We talk about fitness at home sometimes - it is really our lifestyle though. We are both very active. Last week I "graduated" up to using 40lb dumbbells at the gym for some of my exercises. I sent my hubby and email this morning saying if all is relative then he needs to use 70lb dumbbells!!

His response: "You were wielding those 40’s around … I was impressed. Now, I can do 70’s but they are a bi*** to get off the ground to my chest and to put down again."

I realize I am fortunate and I am really thankful I can share the fitness craze with him.

I do feel much better knowing that DH and I are BOTH normal!! I can usually ignore comments. Sometimes I do wonder if it is his way of complimenting me though.

I work out early a.m. and he thinks it is crazy to get up that early (4:15) every day, but atleast it doesn't interfere with anybody else's daily schedule!

He is going to think I am really nuts when I tell him that I am going to drive over 2 hours to get together with the St. Louis Catheites in a few weeks!!!! We truly HATE to drive in, around or near St. Louis!!!

Thanks Ladies!!!!

Tina

Yup, obsessed here and no problem admitting it. I figure there are way worse things I could be doing to my body than exercising and a lot worse ways to spend money than on fitness stuff. As a matter of fact, for my birthday I've asked my kids and DH for 20lb. dumbbells and a 25lb, and an 8lb medicine ball, I just can't think of anything else I want (except cake)

:)
Sherry

My DH doesn't think I'm obsessed but I know he wishes I'd relax a little more about my eating. So, every once in awhile I'll make him feel better by eating a serving of ice cream. Of course, I do this only to make him feel better :9 .

Actually, when DH was younger, he used to be obsessed. He played Rugby and was heavily involved in Track and Field in college. He also did several triathalons in his 20's. Now, he runs about three times a week when the whether allows. He has taken to running in the a.m. on the weekends when I'm exercising because it's cooler.

I don't think I'm obsessed with exercise and eating...but I am fascinated with the human body and how we can push our bodies to limits beyond our expectations and then some. The human body is one of the wonders of the universe, IMHO :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.