Anyone Watch What Not To Wear?

petramom

Cathlete
I just started watching this show, mainly because I really need help learning how to dress myself. Most of the time I think the people look quite a bit nicer, but sometimes I just don't get it. They had a woman on who had lost her husband a few years ago. She worked at a concrete company, I think. When they were done with her I thought she looked heavier than when she was wearing her (admittedly awful) old jeans and t-shirts.

The main thing I've gotten so far is that you're supposed to wear clothes that accent your thinnest part (usually the waist area). But I'm still confused about how to pick out clothes for my short (5'3") chubby (150) middle-aged (45) body. Jeans are especially a mystery for me. I have big thighs. I have never seen them successfully dress a woman with fat thighs in a pair of jeans.

I watch this occasionally and agree. Sometimes people look great and other times they just look boring. Many times I see how they dressed people and all I can think is I wouldn't wear that anywhere! I feel that way about HGTV makeover rooms sometimes also. Often there is no character and they start to look like hotel rooms. Not a plus for me.

I watch it. Sometimes its good and sometimes its bad. Lets be honest, the woman who works at the concrete plant is not going to wear $300 heels and $100 jeans to work. I do like that they often put people in colors. I get so bored with black/gray/brown. And I LOVE the shoes. But, there is a time and a place for jammie pants and hubbys Tshirt. Not at the grocery store or the playground, but on Friday night in my living room watching a movie or playing board games, that is what I'm wearing. If I'm going to the hardware store, I'm wearing jeans, sneaks, and a Tshirt that fits me. I'm not going to wear nice heels or flats, designer jeans, a shirt, a jacket, earrings, necklace, a bracelet and a bag to match. I'm going to buy plywood for crying out loud!! I think the "take away" from the show is "wear clothes that appropriate for what you're doing" I think most of us know not to go to a cocktail party in our pajamas. However, I think they tend to over dress people for some things as well - like running errands.

Nan

I watch it sometimes and I am usually wondering how Stacy and Clinton have nerve enough to tell people what to wear when what they have on is usually pretty awful!

The hair and makeup on the makeovers usually makes the person look better, but the clothes are usually tacky and ugly.

I think that most of the people look way better afterwards. Maybe it isn't my style exactly, but look at what they started from.

I do take issue with the practicality of how Stacy and Clinton dress up people oftentimes. Let's face it, I am not going to wear heels to the grocery store or to work. It's just not gonna happen. Also, I just don't really feel the need to spend that much $ on clothes and make it that big of a part of my life. It seems kind of excessive, but most of these ladies do need help.

Another thing I often wonder is how they expect people to dress in the summer. One of their favorite things to do is to create a flattering figure for people using layers and jackets. How are these people supposed to dress in the summer when you can't keep everything contained in a jacket?

I think that most of the people look way better afterwards. Maybe it isn't my style exactly, but look at what they started from.

I do take issue with the practicality of how Stacy and Clinton dress up people oftentimes. Let's face it, I am not going to wear heels to the grocery store or to work. It's just not gonna happen. Also, I just don't really feel the need to spend that much $ on clothes and make it that big of a part of my life. It seems kind of excessive, but most of these ladies do need help.

Another thing I often wonder is how they expect people to dress in the summer. One of their favorite things to do is to create a flattering figure for people using layers and jackets. How are these people supposed to dress in the summer when you can't keep everything contained in a jacket?

Gosh ditto. I don't give a rip if they think wearing workout gear is a glamour don't. I workout sometimes 2 times a day and when I have to run to the post office or something I'm not about to make sure that I'm wearing my kitten heels and form flattering jacket. I just got bored with the show after a while.

I watch the show occasionally, and sometimes it's an impressive result. But I feel like they give everyone the same advice and same look. I wish they offered more variety. I find it boring that they don't try to individualize their advice more. Surely fashion isn't so black and white.

Amy

The other thing that bugs me about Stacy and Clinton is how hateful they are to their makeover subjects - making fun of them and railing on them about how they dress. I guess it's all staged for the drama of it, but I think it is offensive and unnecessary.

Love WNTW!!!!

I just started watching this show, mainly because I really need help learning how to dress myself. Most of the time I think the people look quite a bit nicer, but sometimes I just don't get it. They had a woman on who had lost her husband a few years ago. She worked at a concrete company, I think. When they were done with her I thought she looked heavier than when she was wearing her (admittedly awful) old jeans and t-shirts.

The main thing I've gotten so far is that you're supposed to wear clothes that accent your thinnest part (usually the waist area). But I'm still confused about how to pick out clothes for my short (5'3") chubby (150) middle-aged (45) body. Jeans are especially a mystery for me. I have big thighs. I have never seen them successfully dress a woman with fat thighs in a pair of jeans.

Wow! I guess I'm in the minority in this discussion - I love the show & actually apply some of their advice to my own wardrobe.

Wow! I guess I'm in the minority in this discussion - I love the show & actually apply some of their advice to my own wardrobe.

Me too!
I've learned a lot, and I find that I "dress up" a lot more often than I used to. It makes me feel better to know that I don't look scrubby all the time.

I actually preferred the British version of this show, with Trinny and Susannah. There were TERRIFIC! (They don't do it anymore). They liked to use their own bodily imprefections to show people how to hide them and what to accentuate - which is NEVER something you would see Stacey doing! They're much more free and honest about what we ladies struggle with, and they do a great job of hiding it. And they were very blunt with their "subjects", but also gave them great boosts to self esteem when they needed it.
They've created some basic "rules" that every woman should know about how to dress to flatter her figure. What to stay away from, specifically, and what will work. I use these every time I shop now, and I can say that in pictures, I notice the difference!
Their website is great, and if you're a fan of WNTW, I highly recommend checking it out.
www.trinnyandsusannah.com

Last edited:
The other thing that bugs me about Stacy and Clinton is how hateful they are to their makeover subjects - making fun of them and railing on them about how they dress. I guess it's all staged for the drama of it, but I think it is offensive and unnecessary.

From an article I read somewhere, the comments are written in. I would love to be on this show, especially for ahir and make-up, I'm clueless, but do agree not everyone wants to go to the grocery store in high heeels:)

I watch the show every night. I love it. :)

If you're talking about the show last night, I do agree that the woman looked heavier with her new look rather then her old look.

I don't know how to dress my body either. And jeans, forget about it. I don't even try to find a pair that actually fit me.

I love that show! Most people (IMO) look better afterwards. There are some unreasonable requests though like wearing kitten heels and nice clothes where are are home with kids all day and just going out to run errands. Really! Come on!

charlene

Trinny and Susannah have a new show, Making Over America on TLC. I caught part of an episode-it's kind of a revamped What Not to Wear. They do use their own bodies as examples. In the episode I saw, they were in a New Jersey diner-on the counter-showing off their trouble spots to the patrons! The subject was a waitress-they even tried to wait tables, too! I like their books, too-very imformative.

I just watched this show for the first time this weekend. I would love to be on that show. I have a hard time finding clothes that fit and flatter when I am on the heavier end of the scale. I find if pants fit me in the legs then I have an extra 3-5 inches at the waist. I go down a size and the legs look too tight. Although when I am thinner, the legs being tighter doesn't bother me. (it depends on the style of pants) I really need to stop fluctuating so much. I have 3 different size pants in my closet...so frustrating.

I saw the episode with the 25yr old nurse who only wore t-shirts and scrubs. Yes it was to an extreme but I think there are sometimes, its okay to look like a slob (or should I say more comfortable). I usually don't judge people at the grocery store about how sloppy they look.

Do they really make them get rid of all their clothes? I mean $5000 dollars doesn't buy a lot of clothes when they cost $200-300 a piece. And the girl that I saw, she was saying some of the t-shirts have sentimental value. I know I have alot of clothes like that. I would be fighting with them. :cool:

I do think they offer a lot of useful info though.

I also love this show and find it has changed the way I dress. Not completely, but somewhat. And I definitely think about my clothes more now. Klaudia, do you know when Making Over America is on? TLC is one of the few cable stations I have. Thanks!

anne

I do not know I have a love hate relationship with that show. On one hand I think they do help a lot of people by making them look better after the show. Many of the people that are on that show were not dressing appropriately for their professions. Some of the guests were job hunting and I could not see them getting a job dressing the way they were before. So they probably have made a positive impact on a lot of lives.

However I am one that believes in individual style. I can understand that if say you work in a conservative office not dressing punky or whatever the person's style was like before every day to work. However what is wrong with having some fun with your clothes on the weekends or when the occasion is appropriate? I know due to my figure I look best in empire wasted shirts and trousers jeans but if I had to wear them every day I would be bored out of my mind. I know wearing too much black and winging out my eyeliner is not going to win me any points with the fashionestas of the world but I really do not care. Some of their suggestions seems a little impractical. Like I remember one episode where they suggested flats and a dress that probably costs hundreds of dollars for walking the dog. When I walk the dogs I wear jeans, sneakers and a t shirt.

That was a great episode with Trinny and Susannah for Making Over America, but I think they only did that one show. I TiVO WNTW and when I saw the ads for T&S, I checked to see if there were future episodes - there weren't :(.

So I think they just did that show while they were here.
I wish they'd do more, I love them!

I watch the show every Friday. Most of their advice is good and I see improvements in most of the makeovers.

However, what these people get for $5000, due to the expense of the clothes, isn't going to give them many outfit options. When the seasons change (summer to winter, or vice-versa), they'll have to shop for the new season on their own dime. And probably not have money for a tailor, as is often suggested.

I wish they would do a What Not To Wear and shop at Target and Old Navy. They could get more for $500 than they do at the high end places for $5000. And that's probably where these people shop anyway.

Diane

ETA - I think Nick overdoes the straightening iron. For a special occasion, you might take the time. But for the girls with really kinky and long hair, you know that's time-consuming and impractical on an everyday basis.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.