Anyone watch Dr. Oz today?

No matter whether or not you care for his program, I really like his books. If it wasn't for Dr. Oz saying to try giving up HFCS I would never have thought to abstain from it. Breaking that addiction made a huge difference in my life.

Dr. Oz is the person that introduced me to the idea of using exercise instead of antidepressants. Many years ago, someone I know was prescribed antidepressants for severe anxiety and PTSD. He has been hooked on those ever since. The drugs have destroyed his ability to sleep on a normal schedule and consequently his ability to keep a job. He will be awake for 3 days and then sleep for three days. He has absolutely no desire to do much of anything. He feels no pain. He will not even think about giving up the drugs. Why? Because its addictive. Not only that, but it caused a huge weight gain to the point where his large belly causes him so much back pain that he can't even bend over to the floor to pick up a tissue. What does this have with Dr. Oz? After watching my friend suffer, and then being offered antidepressants for my own emotional issues, I just knew that I didn't want to become another antidepressant junkie. It was Dr. Oz that said there was a study that showed that just 30 min. a day of physical activity had an equal effect to that of taking antidepressants over a one year period.

Lets just say, I wasn't a Cathlete yet. If it wasn't for Dr. Oz offering me a way out of my blues without drugs, I wouldn't have become a Cathlete. I don't know if I would have continued to choose to live. I was in a real bad way.

I owe Dr. Oz my life. And all he did was suggest exercise instead of pills.

No matter whether or not you care for his program, I really like his books. If it wasn't for Dr. Oz saying to try giving up HFCS I would never have thought to abstain from it. Breaking that addiction made a huge difference in my life.

Dr. Oz is the person that introduced me to the idea of using exercise instead of antidepressants. Many years ago, someone I know was prescribed antidepressants for severe anxiety and PTSD. He has been hooked on those ever since. The drugs have destroyed his ability to sleep on a normal schedule and consequently his ability to keep a job. He will be awake for 3 days and then sleep for three days. He has absolutely no desire to do much of anything. He feels no pain. He will not even think about giving up the drugs. Why? Because its addictive. Not only that, but it caused a huge weight gain to the point where his large belly causes him so much back pain that he can't even bend over to the floor to pick up a tissue. What does this have with Dr. Oz? After watching my friend suffer, and then being offered antidepressants for my own emotional issues, I just knew that I didn't want to become another antidepressant junkie. It was Dr. Oz that said there was a study that showed that just 30 min. a day of physical activity had an equal effect to that of taking antidepressants over a one year period.

Lets just say, I wasn't a Cathlete yet. If it wasn't for Dr. Oz offering me a way out of my blues without drugs, I wouldn't have become a Cathlete. I don't know if I would have continued to choose to live. I was in a real bad way.

I owe Dr. Oz my life. And all he did was suggest exercise instead of pills.

That is awesome that he was able to help you so much. There are so many stories I have heard of people he has saved with his advice. :)

It is so true that a lot of people don't want to change their lifestyle. It's sad! I am signed up for a continuing education class about training obese people; that population has a lot of additional challenges ahead of them compared to average people. This type of information is so necessary nowadays. I'm looking forward to it; I think it will really help me help the people who really do want to change!

It is so true that a lot of people don't want to change their lifestyle. It's sad! I am signed up for a continuing education class about training obese people; that population has a lot of additional challenges ahead of them compared to average people. This type of information is so necessary nowadays. I'm looking forward to it; I think it will really help me help the people who really do want to change!

Yes, I see this all the time. It's hard to understand why some people are so unwilling to help themselves, they just don't want to give up anything in order to get healthy. I think it's awesome that you are getting educated in order to help these people. Good luck to you, keep us posted. :)

Today was ACE's Effective Strategies for Training Obese and Overweight Clients. It was very insightful and I feel prepared to help this population.

I heard some interesting stories; several people have this type of client already. For example, one trainer has a client who shows up for all planned sessions 2xweek (60-min) and works hard, never cancels, but just cannot or will not change the eating habits and won't do anything other than the scheduled appointments.

One tactic is to add an additional day (30-minutes only) doing something completely different than the other 2 sessions. I hope it works out; it's frustrating for the trainer; he's done everything he can think of (even a food diary); his client did the logs for a while and lost 7 pounds but doesn't want to do it anymore. Another tactic he is going to try is a day-timer; account for all activities during every hour of every day. This will show blocks of time that may end up being readily available to *work work!*

The workshop didn't get into the psychological aspect of this populations' mentality which was a disappointment but I can do more research on that as well as additional motivational tactics. One would think being able to stop diabetes or blood pressure medication or have to have knee and hip replacements and be able to play with grandkids would be enough motivation but obviously there is something big and deep going on with them that has yet to be uncovered; everyone has his or her own trigger that hits home. All we can do is keep trying to uncover the layers and be supportive and encouraging, and try new things.

I hope this post helps someone who might be going through something similar. Take care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.