Anyone ver tried Gliding (Mindy Mylrea)?

sanchiababy

Cathlete
I just tried it this morning for the first time (just got it yesterday). All I can say is WHOA!!! And that was just the basics workout. My legs are still feeling it! But sort of different from Cathe's Leanner Legs or Legs & Glutes workout. I'm not quite sure how to explain it. But it's different - and it seems to work!

Anybody else tried it? What was your take on it?

Sanchia

I just got the instructors package with a dvd, instruction book and a set of the gliding discs. It seems very similar to the sliding exercises of the past, but more adaptable. I got the set that you use on carpet, and I like it. Just have to practice it more.

It seems that it's more practical in a group exercise setting than gliding, because all you need is the discs. Me verdict: So far, so good.

I enjoy it. I even have used the discs in other workouts, such as Cathe's BootCamp, when she was doing the side lunges I jumped on the discs and did them that way. I seem to be able to do them better on the discs. I figure they can also be used when she does alternate lunges and what not.

My inner thighs haven't felt this sore ever and since I have added gliding and sliding into my routine my inner thighs are a talking. I even feel it more in my hamstrings.

Rhonda

I had the pro series workout, and just bought the kit from Walmart. I really like it (last week, I did 3 gliding workouts!) I like the lower body work, core work and the resistance work, but the cardio workout is one I will probably not do again (unless it's right after the buns and thighs workout) because the cardio is just so-so.

I use the discs on puzzle mats, which, I've found (after trying the yoga/pilates pro workout) has a bit more drag than carpet. By the time I was done with the second workout, I really felt it in the hamstrings and glutes. I like the way the disc allow you to get a bigger ROM without strain (by trying to get in and out of position), and the way the hams and glutes are worked when pushing back into a lunge (and the inner/outer thighs are worked doing side lunges).

And those lying hamstring pull-ins, especially with both legs! YOWZA! That's the most resistance my hamstrings have felt since lifting heavy in a gym and using a hamstring machine (but the disc version is better, IMO, because it's more functional and engages lots of stabilizer muscles, rather than just isolating the hamstrings.

One of the pro series workouts that I haven't done yet looks really fun: a circuit workout with Gay Gasper alternating step cardio and multi-muscle strength moves (you do a side lunge with foot on the disc while reaching forward towards the unmoving leg with a weight). Although if you're someone who only wants tough cardio and more complex choreography, it would probably bore you. Luckily, I like more simple moves with low impact.

Kathryn,

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought those hamstring moves on the discs were murder! I thought I was going to die this morning! I could sort of wrangle through the move using both legs, but when she went to one leg with one leg up - I just stared at her in horror! I couldn't believe that she actually meant for us to do that move! I tried to do it. I couldn't move! My hamstrings were screaming "No way! Not in this lifetime!" :)

I put Gliding in Cahte's suggestions forum. I really hope she does it one day!

Sanchia

>I put Gliding in Cahte's suggestions forum. I really hope she
>does it one day!
>
>Sanchia

I wonder if she'd even be able to, or if there is some kind of copyright restriction, or proprietary agreement that means that anyone filming a workout with the discs has to be approved by the company? Though there is no such restriction with the Step or the Bosu.

Kathryn and Sanchia!

Are you both refering to the SAME workouts? (The kit from Walmart-is it the same as the Mindy Mylrea Gliding?) What all is included in the kit? Price? Thanks for any info. It sounds very intriguing especially since I am trying to build my hamstring muscles stronger after my injury. TIA!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Kathryn and Sanchia!

Yes, the Walmart kit is the Mindy kit. I also have some pro workouts that I ordered online (and that are more advanced).

Kathryn,

I only got the ones that included Mindy. I wanted to make sure I'd like this kind of workout first. I've only done the Total Body Basics (from the "pro" website) and it really worked me! I also have the Cardio Blast, the Abs workout, and the Buns workout (not sure if there's one more in that lot or not; would have to check, but it's the ones from the infomercial). Will try those one at a time over the next couple of weeks.

Do you have those? And if so, what do you think of them?

Sanchia

Sanchia, The workouts that I have, and my general impressions, are the following:
The three workouts that come with the kit:
Total body and legs and glutes are enjoyable and effective. I'm not so fond of the cardio one, because the moves are a bit boring, IMO.

Add-ons: the abs workout and the cardio workout. I've just previewed these and haven't done them, but the ab workout is disappointing (three "levels" of workouts--5, 6, and 7 minutes long--rather than 3 completely different multi-level workout. Some of the moves are repeated from workout to workout, with more advanced variations as you move from one workout to the next. Level 1 seems pretty useless for anyone but a beginner, IMO. But it may actually be harder and more challenging than it looks.

The cardio workout add-on seems more interesting, and a bit more intense, than the one that comes with the kit. I think I'll like it.

Pro workouts:
Gay Gasper's step and gliding workout looks fun! Simple cardio on the step, alternated with functional compound weighted moves with the discs. For example: doing a rear lunge while reaching down to the forward foot with the opposite arm while holding weights.

A hi-lo workout. Uses more room and more variety of moves than the cardio that comes with the kit. Looks "so-so" to me. Alternates between gliding and cardio.

The core workout. Yeow, mama! This REALLY works the core with different plank versions using the gliding discs. Good ab DOMS afterwards!

A yoga/pilates workout. O.K. workout. Bizarre instructor! He often talks to us like "Now, my friends, I invite you to take a supine position," or "I encourage you to reach your arms forward." What is this, hyper politically correcteness? He is also very "Friend of Dorothy,"if you know what I mean. Like a 9.5 on the scale of 10!

Mindy's total body workout (not the Bosu one--my Bosu leaks!). Similar to the Total body workout in the kit, but higher intensity.

Here is a great way to work your abs and have killer (and i mean killer) shoulders.

Get into a pressup position, with the glider(s) under your toes. Then just walk with your hands from the letting your feet slide. All the pressure is on your arms and shoulders and core. Start at the beginning of a room walk to the end, and then walk yourself backwards. Easy! Or not. I love doing this and i have seen soooooo much improvement in my arms and shoulders.

I'm curious about these gliding workouts. Not sure what to buy. I want to trim the outer thighs, do you think this would work for that?

Shopgirl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.