Anyone using dumbells instead of barbell for weight w/o's?

CassBHealy

Cathlete
For those of you who have used GS and Pyramid DVD workouts, are any of you using dbells instead of barbell (like Cathe uses)?

Would like to hear how that is working out for you and are dumbells easy to incorporate into both of those workouts?

Thanks!

I only have the Pyramids, but I love using dumbbells instead of a barbell for PLB. It's just so much quicker -- messing with my barbell is a pain (the clip that holds the plates is old and hard to work on mine). And since I don't go too heavy on lower body (trying not to get bulky), it works well for me.

I have only done the pyramid lower body once and I used the barbell cause I wanted to go as heavy as I could at least once in awhile.
But when I do the MM if that is my second or third workout in the week I use 10 lb dumbells for the lower body instead of the bar and it works fine. I'm trying to find out how much I can do and not get my thighs too big for my jeans.

Paula

Well, the bar that Cathe uses in her DVD's is the one I was going to buy and that maxes out at 80lbs. I have a full set of dbells and if I wanted to could go 40 lbs each hand, though that is heavy!

My main reason for not thinking the barbell would be good is for back/neck reasons. Once you start packing on a decent amount of weight, you are asking for trouble if you have any back/neck issues.

Cass

Yes, I always have. I just make sure to keep the dumbells straight and held as though they were a barbell. It's very easy.

>Yes, I always have. I just make sure to keep the dumbells
>straight and held as though they were a barbell. It's very
>easy.
>

what do you average for weight with dumbells in these workouts (lower body pyramid)?

Cass

Cathe never uses 80 lbs for anything. The most I've seen her use is 40 lbs for lower body work.

There are some exercises I sub dumbbells for, just because I find it more comfortable, but mostly I use my barbell. It seems to work the muscles differently.

I use dumbells. I have a barbell, but prefer to use the dumbells for some reason. I love using them for the gymstyle workouts. However, in Gymstyle, she uses dumbells quie a bit.

RE: Anyone using dumbells instead of barbell for weight...

I only have dumbbells so that's all I ever use. For the most part, it's easy to substitute. The biggest difference is Cathe uses a lot more weight on the barbell. My biggest challenge was figuring out how to hold the dumbells for squats. Someone recommended holding them up like at the top of a bicep set. It's been working really well for me.

I should add that I've always been a woos (sp?) with weights. Cathe is pushing me to do more and I've actually graduated to my 10 lbs dbells for the top of my pyramids. I know that's not much, but for me it's great. I'm looking forward to using my 15's next.

>The biggest difference is
>Cathe uses a lot more weight on the barbell.>
>

How much weight, exactly, does she use? I thought it was something like 40 lbs total with the barbell, which equals 2 - 20 lbs dumbells, which does not seem like a lot. Is this weight about what she uses in her DVD's for lower body work or am I totally off?

Cass

I never have (and probably never will) own a barbell. As others have mentioned, it's just too "fussy" for me. I have a nice set of assorted dumbells and feel that this is all I need. I either use two 10s or two 20s for Cathe's various strength workouts. I don't feel that I need anything more than this, as I am not really trying for big muscles. I just want to be toned and strong.

Cass -
You're right - Cathe doesn't go any higher than 40lbs on the barbell (at least not in the DVD's I have). But, if you'll see my original post, I'm a woos with weights - I generally only use one dumbbell at a time or am using the lighter weights.

If you can do two 20lbs, you're all set!

Thanks everyone! I did PLB with no more than 30 lbs total and I could not walk for 4 days! truth be told, I found the hardest, most excruciating part of the workout to be on the ball! OW!!!!

Cass

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.