anyone use FAM???

Zora

Cathlete
Hello-

I'm not sure if this forum is the right place in which to post my question, but I figured that you guys would be the experts in this area. Anyway, DH and I are NOT TTC, but I'm going off the Pill this week (I don't like adding the synthetic hormones to my body - or the added health risks!) and want to try FAM out (figuring that I should get the hang of it before actually trying to TTC in a few years).

So, do any of you use this method as a reliable form of birth control? And I guess my biggest question is how were you able to make it a regular part of your daily routine? I just read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and plan on using the Ovusoft program for charting, and while I feel kind of excited to start doing this next week, I'm wondering how difficult it will actually be. So, any words of wisdom or personal experience will be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA!

Yes, I used FAM, but not as form of birth control. I used it to TTC, and it worked like a charm. I'd be interested to know how well it works as birth control, but it makes perfect sense to me that if a woman is conscientious, it can.
Manmohini

FAM = Fertility Awareness Method.

This method entails tracking your fertility signs through basal body temp., cervical fluid, and cervix position. I'm obviously more interested in knowing when I'm infertile, seeing as I'm trying to avoid pregnancy. I'm very new to this (technically starting Cycle #1 today!), but I'm liking what I've been hearing/reading about it. The book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a great introduction to this method, and there's another book by Katie Singer that's good, but I forget the name of it.

Hello! I've used FAM for over two years for birth control. From what I've read and my experience, as long as you have regular cycles, it can be very effective. I'm not the best at remembering to take my temperature every morning, though!

This month, we're seeing how it works for conception:)

I used FAM after going off the Pill and was pregnant within two months. We were trying to avoid then. Then with DD#2, I used it to TTC, and it worked the first month.

The software is really helpful.

It may take a few cycles for your body to recover. You may experience various charting patterns (short cycles, long cycles, longer menses, limited mucus, variable return of peak type mucus, short luteal phase, etc.). Just be patient.

I use a cervical mucus only AKA ovulation method. I check (well should;)) before and after every use of the bathroom... it becomes a habit. Leave a post-it notes where needed... if that is possible.

Here is an article that may be reassuring:
Fertility detection good as pill for contraception
http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSCOL27377620070222

HTH!

<<Can this method be used after pregnancy if you haven't resumed a <<cycle because of breastfeeding?

Yes, but working with a teacher may be helpful as you navigate through the signs of fertility.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.