Anyone use a pedometer?

Amy100

Hi!
I just bought a Sportsline pedometer at TARGET, for only $6. But I don't think this particular model is very accurate. Do any of you use one?
-Amy

Yes! I've been trying to promote the use of pedometers for a while now, and not long ago I posted, "Everyone should use this nifty fitness tool - it's cheap, and boy, does it work! It acts as a prompt to move around more, and has helped me lose some nagging pounds that have been very stubborn. I have read that people who wear pedometers on a regular basis do better at keeping their weight down than folks who follow a regular exercise program. This proves to be true for me, a hard-core 6 days a week exerciser. My problem was my weight training days and that 7th day off which did not include a lot of moving around. I find myself going on a mall walk, or, like yesterday, doing an extra cardio session to get those numbers up. I also took an honest look at my calorie intake and did some tweaking(lowered it by about 200 per day), AND I upped my fiber intake. All these steps were painless, and I do not feel deprived or starved." There is a book out now called "The Step Diet Book" which includes a pedometer. I haven't read it yet, but I'm going to buy it on e-bay. On Thursday I got in over 23,000 steps.

Thanks for your reply! What type of pedometer do you use? I read on the internet that Consumer Reports rated the Omron HJ-112 Pedometer number one... Apparently it is very accurate and counts steps when you walk or jog, and even counts calories for you! I am thinking of getting this one since the one I bought at TARGET logged in ~600 steps while I sat in front of a computer...

I've had 3 now, 2 of which did a lot of "stuff" like count calories, played music, etc., and they broke when I dropped them! Now I have one that I got from Prevention Magazine that simply counts steps, and has not broken when I dropped it several time. I don't know how accurate it is, but it clicks every time I take a step (NOT when I'm not moving, however!). I DID buy the Step Diet Book, and will let you know what I think of it.

I bought a $4.00 one from Wal-Mart to use now that I'm still recovery from a hysterectomy. Even though walking makes my stomach even more swollen, I've been trying to get at least 10,000 steps in a day. Now that I know I like it, I am looking to get a more accurate one (I don't think this one is counting all the steps - had to laugh at the 600 steps sitting at the computer - although if you are moving your feet, it will count them) . . . anyway, I just wrote this info down last night but can't remember from WHERE -

Recommended:
Omron Digital Premium HJ-112 ($35.00 at Drugstore.com)

Freestyle Tracer ($20.00 at Best Buy - available at other sport stores)

Rachelle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.