Anyone tried Spanx ?

nancy324

Cathlete
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm home sick today reading "What You Wear Can Change Your Life" By Trinny and Susannah.

In the underwear section of the book I felt good reading the bra section, because it seems that I'm one of the minority of women who wear the right bra. Unfortunately, however, it seems I am sadly lacking in the underpants department. Apparently, my bikinis are allowing my big tummy to do a hangover, and this is, um, not good. Women with flabby tummies "need a waistband on your panties that reaches up to your ribcage where there is less flab". One of the recommendations is Spanx Power Panties, but there's not much detail. Has anyone tried these?

For anyone who has tried them, how do you wear them with pantyhose? Doesn't it feel like wearing two pairs of pantyhose? How comfortable are they? How do they feel on your waist?

By the way, this book is a riot and I'm learning a lot. I love how it's truly meant for real women, and it was brave of Trinny and Susannah to print unflattering photos of themselves to show us what we are doing wrong.

-Sick but Stylish in Brooklyn

I haven't tried the "power panties" (QVC sells them, though. They go way up to under your bra-line, so there's no "waist" to speak of), but I've tried regular spanx. They are pretty much like the top part of a pair of shaping panty hose (or "super shaping"!), with a less 'pulled in" waist and leg band. I think wearing nylons and them would be a bit hot, but I've worn shapers (the modern replacement for "girdles") over nylons before. I've also found some shaper nylons from Leggs that are very firming at the top. I don't wear them often (when I go to conferences and give presentations). The "What not to wear" women were just on Oprah, talking about how most women wear the wrong bra. They put Spanx on most of the make-overs, and Oprah said she wears them every day.

Thanks for the comments, Kathryn. I'm going to order some today. I can't believe I'm doing it, because I avoid control-top panty hose like the plague. I can't stand the constricted feeling. But I'll give them a try and see what I think. If nothing else, I can wear them under my gown at my stepson's wedding. If I like em, I'll buy more.

It took me several days to get used to wearing the "right" bra, so I'll give the Spanx a few days too.

Thanks, Mindi, for directing me to the spanx website where I got to learn about all the products. I didn't see a coupon, though.

I was very disappointed to learn that the products need to be hand-washed. Considering that you wear a fresh pair everyday, that's an awful lot of handwashing. I'm not so sure I want to add another time-consuming chore to my already overflowing days. :(

Nancy, I have the regular Spanx too. I love them. I would either wear control top hose or spanx, not both together. I throw mine in the gentle cycle or handwash cycle and line dry. They are fine. That might make it easier for you. They also have similair things alternatives to Spanx at better department stores. I bought a panty made by Hanes at Dillards, and I am pleased with it.

Did you catch Trinny and Susannah on Oprah Friday? I hope you are feeling better soon.

Lori

No, I didn't catch them on Oprah, Lori. Wish I had seen it. Does Oprah love them as much as I do? Don't know where I'd be without Trinny and Susannah. Yes I do, I'd still be wearing baggy crewneck t-shirts and turtlenecks. I'll never buy another crewneck or turtleneck again in my life. I swear.

Thank you for saying you put them in the washing machine. No way do I have time to hand wash anything.

Thanks for all your comments Lori, and for your good wishes. I still feel pretty lousy. :( I sure do hate colds.

-Nancy

Lala,
Trinny and Susannah are so funny about bras. They say:

"Sagging udders should be left to porky mammals slurping swill with 16 piglets attached to their teats. They don't do good bras for pigs, but they do for us women. A decent shape can do the same job as a cosmetic lift allowing you to wear and look great in clothes you haven't worn since the teen years."

LOL. :+

What kind of bra you should wear depends upon your shape and your size. Generally, if you wear a D cup or more, like me, they say the bra is the most important item in your wardrobe and you should spare no expense on it, even if it means not being able to buy anything else for a year. It's just that important and can change the look of everything in your wardrobe. (I went to Bloomindales and spent the day letting the salespeople fit and measure me and make recommendations, and the results were great. Considering what my new Wacoal bras do for me, $54 seems like a bargain).

If you're as flat as Trinny, they recommend the Wonderbra.

Nancy, Oprah was so good. Yes, she loves them and follows their advice. The show on Friday was their third appearance. Oprah said she through out all of her capris, and all of her tapered trousers. She said it was really difficult but she did it! :) It was a bra show, swimsuit show, and makeover show. The girls looked absoulutely stunning. Susannah's dress was to die for. :) They talked about Spanx a lot. Oprah says she wears her Spanx everyday.

Lori

Lori-
I wish I'd seen it!
Yes, Trinny and Susannah hate pleated, tapered leg pants with a passion. Apparently, there's not a woman alive who they look good on.

Nancy - I don't handwash them either. I put them in the gentle cycle - cold water and hang dry. They last forever too.

So what kind of pants are the best to wear?

julie-
well, I don't have the first book, which covers that stuff, but every picture of the ladies is in pants that flare at the bottom. The flare at the bottom of the pants balances the hips and therefore makes them look smaller, and makes the body look more well-proportioned.

It appears that you don't need to have wide hips for this to work. Even Cathe Friedrich seems to look better in pants that have a little bit of flare (can just be boot cut) at the bottom.

I think they don't like pleats because it adds unnecessary bulk at the tummy, which most people just don't need.

just my luck. :( I wrote to Spanx to get their size recommendation, and I was waiting for the response. I guess I should have ordered yesterday.

One more comment about bras, lala, they say 70% of American women are wearing the wrong size. Getting the right size is one of the most important factors.

I loved the first book, and the Occasions book too. They are quite simple at first glance, but they are full of great info. I love the third book WYWCCYL. It's fun to study that thing to death, especially the color part.

Julie, if you want a good idea of what the WNTW girls are about, this is a brief rundown. They don't pair black with color. In their opinion it's boring. Picture a pair of black pants with a red shirt. Pretty boring. They would rather pair the red top with another color, it's much more interesting. Also, as Nancy said tapered trousers are a big no no. Especially tapered pants with pleats. They don't think anybody looks good in shorts. They love feminine dressing, fitted clothes, skirts, etc. They don't like big white clodhopper marshmellow sneakers. If you have a big bosom v-necks and scoop necks look better. If you are flat chested, crewnecks look best. I could go on and on. :)

They don't like leather pants. They say to wear these if you want to look like a biker, or are a biker. They say leather pants make you have a sweaty crotch. They don't like capris at all, unless you are very tall and very thin. They don't like anything that looks like menswear, such as big t-shirts or button down baggy oxford shirts, shapeless jean jackets, or manly jeans. They think your hair is your crowning glory, and to pay special attention that it always looks good in public, and has no roots, and is nicely cut. They aren't the gospel, but it's fun to follow their rules, because it does improve your appearance.

I post on the bbcamerica boards, and I read an interesting thread that I think is so true. A third color pulls your outfit together. Say you are wearing a khaki skirt and a pink shirt. Pretty boring, run of the mill, but say you had on a pair of orange sandals, or a handbag in a different color with a complementary colored scarf tied around your hanbag, or a cute scarf tied around your waist as a belt. Or a blazer in a complementary color. It adds interest and gives a more pulled together look.

I will stop talking now. :) :)

Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.