Anyone tried Spanx ?

No, don't stop talking, Lori. I want to know as much as I can. My life revolves around meeting with clients and making good impressions, and I can never know enough about this stuff, and can never seem to get it right. :(

So, keep on talking! :)

Nancy, I have just ordered this book from Amazon. Hope it's good, because between workouts, forum updates, and showers (yes water & lot's of soap), where else can I fit it in during my day?

I feel like it wil be a very interesting read.

Marla

Nancy, I have just ordered this book from Amazon. Hope it's good, because between workouts, forum updates, and showers (yes water & lot's of soap), where else can I fit it in during my day?

I feel like it wil be a very interesting read.

Marla

Okay, I've got another tip from the book: never wear a bra with a thin strap in the back, no matter how good it looks from the front. They say that MOST women have "flabby" backs, and the thin straps "are like knives slicing into any extra flesh you may have." You need a wide strap "that will distribute the pulling power over a wider area, thus reducing the flesh-digging capabilities".

The book is great. You're going to love it Marla. It's a fun little experiment to create the best look for you. To wear the right colors and cuts of clothes does so much for your appearance. I used to love black. I rarely wear it any longer. It just doesn't look that great on me. Marla, I bet you look great in red, the same with Nancy. You are both brunettes. Red isn't so great on me, unless it is a clear red. You will learn so much about color from reading this book.

Read the Golden Rules
http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_living/what_not_to_wear/what_not_to_wear_the_rules.jsp

Let me think of some other rules I have learned.
1. One of the most offensive things to do, unless you want to look like hell is to dress "mutton dressed as lamb". That means if you are 40 and still wearing embrodiered glittery jeans and sequiny half shirts, you have problems. :) Look at woman like Sharon Stone, Catherine Zeta Jones, etc. They are classy ladies, still look young, (they are young), but don't resort to dressing like a teenager.

2. Don't wear baseball caps, fanny packs, or big white marshmellow shoes in public. EVER. Did you see the cute pink Pumas Trinny had on on Oprah? That kind of sneaker is more like it. Something elegant and refined.
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/5509341/c/36169.html
This is just an example. There are millions to choose from.

3. In the new book you will find great tips on what sizes of accessories to wear according to how big your wrist, fingers, bustline is. So if you have big breasts, don't let long necklaces fall in your cleavage=unappealing. Don't wear "generic" looking jewelry such as herrinbone chains, etc. They are so predictable. Have fun with your accessories.

4. The girls love skirts. I have started to wear them by the tons. I have a lot of A-line skirts, a lot of them are linen. They hit right at the knee. They are nice and cool for the summer. I get loads of compliments. I wear nude Spank underneath. I feel feminine and cool, and I don't have to wear shorts or the dreaded capris. I will admit to still wearing capris at times, but not as much as I used to.

5. Makeup-keep it nice. No visible lipliner please. No streaks of blush or spider mascara. All common sense stuff. No long red fingernails! Keep them a nice length and neutral, it looks very sophisticated.

6. Wrap tops are great with girls with a big bosom like me. Also v-necks, scoop necks look great as I mentioned before. My mom is flatchested. She looks so great in turtlenecks, mock necks, and crewnecks. She looks bad in anything low cut. It just emphasizes that her breasts are small and all you see is bony chest. Look at Trinny, she looks sexy with her hi-cut tops.

Once you know the rules, you will feel like the best dressed girl on the block. You will mentally single people out, "oh she is wearing black with color, or those capri's aren't doing anything for her". I don't want to sound mean, because I was walking around in black pants with colorful tops for years! :)

I will think of more! :)

I need to post some more pics of myself in my new outfits. :)
Lori

Isn't that true about bras! Waocal's are great! T&S are so funny! People think because you can't see your bra and underwear that it's okay to buy some flimsy thing for 5 bucks. Support is crucial. That's why Spanx are so awesome. Everybody can use a little help now and then. Bras especially need to be taken seriously. So many people are hanging out of their bras, or have too tight bras, or their breasts are hanging to their knees. People can tell.

Lori

I love Trinny and Susannah. I have really kicked up my dressing by taking their advice. Cut and fabric are everything and it is amazing how you can accent the positive and vanish the negative....re: Spanx..They look uncomfortable and have yeast infection written all over them IMHO!! I'd rather work out to Cathe and not need to suck it all in. Just looking at them makes me itch! I'm surprised Oprah wears them every day.

That is true Sunset, it is better to create your own natural girdle. But if you don't quite look like Cathe yet, it's nice that there is a little help. Some people can't stand "girdles", or control top pantyhose. They don't bother me that much.

Lori

I think T&S think that everyone needs to wear Spanx to get rid of panty lines. I don't think it necessarily has to do with being jiggly, and I don't think it relates to what kind of shape you're in.

<<They look uncomfortable and have yeast infection written all over them IMHO!! >>

Sunset Beach, I had the same reaction when I looked at Spanx. I have hard enough time wearing pantyhose even in the winter; if it's warm enough to get away with no pantyhose, then the last thing I need is form-fitting underwear that doesn't breathe.

What do T & S say about thongs? No pantylines there and if you're working out hard enough, jiggling isn't a problem either.

Hi Bunbun. How are you feeling? I still feel rotten. :(

I think they are generally opposed to thongs because most women have some cellulite and sag at least a bit. I suppose it's no problem though if you're under 30 and haven't developed any cellulite yet.

I can't believe I just read somewhere that T&S are opposed to shorts. I think that's going too far. No way I'm giving up my shorts in the summer!

Hmmm - interesting. Thanks everyone. I need to get this book too. Basic info that I seem to need nowadays for some reason.

Re spanx - I bought them because I hate panty lines and now I'm hooked. Not a big fan of thongs.

Hey Nancy. Sorry you're still under the weather (literally, almost, given the current weather--ick!) The sore throat subsided to a very low roar and my head is mostly clear, so I actually got in a treadmill workout this morning and felt great. Not as great this afternoon. Oh well! Feel better!

I guess I don't really wear skirts that are so form fitting or light colored that you can actually see my cellulite! I do own one form-fitting skirt, but I wear it with a slip and you can't see pantylines or any unsightly bulges. I do like the idea of Spanx--I'd feel less undressed, I guess. But the breathability worries me. How breathable are they?

Give up shorts?!! Crazy Brits! :) Seriously, I bet they haven't gone through an East coast summer, or at least not where you actually have to be outdoors and out of AC for any extended period. Think about it--Spanx in the middle of an August heatwave while waiting on a packed subway platform in NYC. Spanx while stuck in a really bad NJ or LI traffic jam where you have to turn off your AC or your car will overheat. Yeah, right.

That said, I will probably order a pair to try it out--LOL.

Yes Nancy, to give up shorts is difficult. I mainly wear mine to workout, gardening, beach, stuff like that.

T&S live in London. It's a much different climate. They have said if you live in a tropical climate to wear cotton skirts.

Lori

Thanks, Lori. I actually have gotten several compliments on some red Dickie scrubs I wear to work. Man! I would pay some serious money to have you dress me! You sound so knowledgeable! I also remember you read Allure. Me too! I'm a big time make-up addict.

Marla

>I can't believe I just read somewhere that T&S are opposed to
>shorts. I think that's going too far. No way I'm giving up
>my shorts in the summer!

Oprah asked them about this, and stated that American women are not willing to give up shorts. They said that if you MUST wear shorts, take a pair of pants that fit well, and cut them off at the knees. That is the type of short that will look good on you (doesn't really look that good to me: kind of fuddy-duddy).

Bunbun-
I'm so envious that you got to work out this weekend! I mostly just slept and watched TV. But I think I really needed the rest.

I'm totally with you on the New York summer thing. Summer weekends outdoors, I say anything goes. I'll stick with my shorts and string bikini underwear. The heck with the "rules". :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.