Anyone on Hormone Replacement Therapy?

Well, I couldn't deal with the lack of sleep due to hot flashes anymore. I also felt like I was irritated a lot. I just haven't been my "Shirley Temple" self. So, as of 2 days ago, I have started HRT: patch and a pill. How are you doing, @catwoman7631 ?

Well, I couldn't deal with the lack of sleep due to hot flashes anymore. I also felt like I was irritated a lot. I just haven't been my "Shirley Temple" self. So, as of 2 days ago, I have started HRT: patch and a pill. How are you doing, @catwoman7631 ?

Hey Nancy, so far so good for me (knock on wood, haha!). The bouts of hot flashes come and go and have not been too terrible. It's like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...it can't go this smoothly, can it? I do wonder if I'm in full menopause because I have had some random bleeding. Doctor did some tests, all is fine, and he insists that the blood test indicates I'm all in. I go for my annual next month, and I may ask to have that test run again.

I hope you can get some relief with the HRT!

Thanks so much for this very interesting thread. :) I love that Cathletes support each other regardless of decisions made - each person's decisions re treatment will be individual, as some posters have eloquently stated.

I am 6 years post-menopausal now...wish I had all this info from the fabulously insightful and helpful posters years ago when I needed it. I really suffered for 10 years with peri-menopause and then menopause itself. Not sleeping more than 5 hours straight for several years was the hardest part. :( This affected my mood, energy level, weight, etc.... I sympathise, Nanbo!

I encourage anyone who is suffering with these challenges to read Cecififi's post from Oct. 6/15 on this thread. Sooooo many super helpful tips!!! I went to the doctor and he said, "I sleep 5 hours per night, so what is your problem?" !!!:(:confused::eek: So I went to another doctor and she gave me a prescription for acupuncture which really, really helped me with extending my uninterrupted sleep. My acupuncturist was trained in both traditional and North American acupuncture which I would recommend. It was not painful - I found it relaxing.

Like Cecififi, I have a generally happy, productive and healthy life, but the years going through menopause were very, very challenging psychologically and physically. Many people do not understand the often profound effect these changes/challenges can have! But, with individualized treatment there can be relief! I now see many benefits of menopause....it prompted me to clean up my eating habits, it prompted me to look for and DO evidence based, intense workouts (with much more weight training.... thanks Cathe! :)) and to do them more regularly, it made me realize the super importance of valuing and getting our needed SLEEP (I now structure my day to ensure I get 7-8 hrs.), it prompted me to fit in more stress-busting stretching/yoga, and it prompted a life long change to really taking charge of my own health. I am now healthier and stronger and better rested than ever. My % body fat has gone down (from 36% to 22%) and I feel I would not have made these changes for the better if menopause hadn't beaten me down to a point where I had to look and find answers to my health questions.

I've lost about 10 pounds as well along with clean diet and exercise. Hot flashes too lol! I take an OTC supplement called Menosense that helps tremendously and buy it at Vita Health here in Canada so wake up maybe 1-2 times/ night but not every night. They also went away for about 6 months then returned. Otherwise I'm quite happy about the weight and my general mood/ energy levels etc. Peri-menopause was the difficult time for me and I seriously thought I was having a nervous breakdown at one point but at the time didn't realize what was happening as it started when I was maybe 42 so certainly glad I've come out on the other side in one piece!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

It's a year later from my last post and I am still taking thyroid meds (they really boost my energy and have allowed my hair to grow in amazingly!) I still take 100 mg of progesterone at night which gives me that deep sleep. my doctor tried to put me back on estradiol but i gained so much weight from it within weeks that I went off it. I deflated. I also take testosterone daily - one click. It improves the libido and helps with my metabolism too. other than that - I've had to really focus on quitting sugar - no sugar = no hot flashes. sugar = hot flashes. I can handle hot flashes except when I am in front of clients. I feel so uncomfortable hot flashing in front of clients so i avoid sugar on those days, including simple carbs. and that's where I am at with the bio hormones. i hope you all find your way through menopause. I've really had to learn this stuff on my own 'cos i went through it so young and i do not weather discomfort well. the book by dr. john lee (forget the name) was the main book that helped me if anyone wants to look it up. good luck.

That's awesome Nancy! If you don't mind my asking, what are you taking? I recently started on a low dose HRT (Mimvey Lo) and it hasn't helped with sleep that much. I think I may need to try something else.

Judy

I'm in the peri years (started at ag 41) so estrogen is fine but I run out or progesterone before end of cycle. It cause night sweat, insomnia and the "out of control" feeling for about 8 days before period. I started progesterone cream I got from health store. It's been working for 4 years "thank-goodness. The funny thing is I don't' need it every month. The dying hormones have some months that actually but-out LOL

SO I see HRT in my future when I hit meno

and I'm happy for you Nanbo for getting some sleep. I remember how awful the feeling of waking up sweating and changing my soaked pj/s

That's awesome Nancy! If you don't mind my asking, what are you taking? I recently started on a low dose HRT (Mimvey Lo) and it hasn't helped with sleep that much. I think I may need to try something else.

Judy
Hi Judy,
I'm on a bi-weekly mid range dose estrogen patch and daily progesterone pill at bedtime (my nurse practitioner said it was the progesterone that helps give you the deep sleep). Last night wasn't as good for sleeping as the night before; my upstairs neighbor had a Christmas party that went until 4 am! :rolleyes: Looking forward to tonight!

Thank you Nancy. I think I will check with my doctor and see if I can try something like that instead of the Mimvey.

Do any of you seem like forgetfulness is taking over? I am noticing that I forget to buy things at the grocery store even though I have a list in front of me. Today, I went to Sally Beauty Supply with a 15% coupon to use for a new blow dryer and forgot to give it to the cashier. This is driving me nuts!:mad:

Do any of you seem like forgetfulness is taking over? I am noticing that I forget to buy things at the grocery store even though I have a list in front of me. Today, I went to Sally Beauty Supply with a 15% coupon to use for a new blow dryer and forgot to give it to the cashier. This is driving me nuts!:mad:

I know the feeling. :(

HRT Update: Hot flashes GONE, sleeping well (maybe TOO well!); however, I've put on 10 pounds in 2 months! I'm doing the same amount of exercise and eating the same way but somehow my weight has been going up. Anyone else experiencing this?

Hi Nancy,

I am guessing its the estrogen. My understanding of HRT is that it gives your both estrogen and progesterone, whether you need it or not. I take bio-identical hormones (bhrt) but stopped taking the estrogen. I gained about 5 pounds in 1-2 weeks on the estrodial. google estrogen and weight gain - lots of info on it. And, i wasn't sure the estrogen was helping. maybe consider seeing a women's health dr - someone who prescribes the bio hormones. I don't think a general doctor looks at your blood work the same way - or at all. the progesterone gives you the deep sleep. you just might not need the estrogen. that was part of the controversy around hrt - women were being given estrogen when they didn't need = breast cancer increase for many.

i can't emphasize enough about sugar and hot flashes - and i mean fruits, dried fruits, simple carbs, juices, alcohol, chocolate (WHAT!) etc... restrict this stuff and you might see a dramatic change with hot flashes.

To the poster who said she had deep sleeps from acupuncture - me too!!!!

Good luck

I know this thread is about HRT and I hope no one minds me chiming in on this, but I have seen a significant improvement with both my hot flashes and sleep problems by taking Nature's Bounty Complete Menopause supplements. I had been struggling for a while and really want to go as natural as possible and these really help!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.