Anyone lost a lot of weight??

Skyy2

Cathlete
Good morning everyone

I am hoping that someone can help me. I am determined to lose 50 lbs, but I don't know the best way to go about it. Has any one lost a lot of weight here in Cathe land? And if you have; how did you do it?

I have been physically fit in the past and I am just getting back into it after recently having a baby.

I have been working out a lot (cardio 25-60min at least 4 times a week) but the scale is not moving in the right direction. Any advice??????:(

Do you monitor what you are eating? You may still be eating more calories than you are burning. That was my problem. Once I started logging every single thing that passed my lips, I started losing weight - so far I have lost 40 lbs in the last year, but gained 10 of it back because I stopped logging what I ate - so now I am back to logging again, and this week so far I have lost 3 lbs (probably a lot of water weight, as I have also lowered my sodium intake. I hope this helps a bit - Cathe's nutrition software is great, but there is a free site on Sparkpeople.com which is also very good. I prefer Cathe's because it allows me to monitor my nutrition, vitamins, minerals, etc, and make sure I am eating a balance diet. Good luck! :D
Kirsten

I have not lost a lot of weight yet - but I have started losing weight by logging everything I ate and getting the gowear fit device that tells me how many calories I'm burning. This is the only thing that has worked for me in years. I'm down 10# and have at least another 20# to go but hopefully I can get another 40# off.

Thank you Kristen and parkercp. I am going to look into the gowear fit device. I started to log in what I've been eating but can't understand why I am losing so slowly or not at all. In the past when I wanted to shape up, all I had to do was put in a few more cardio sessions a week. now that doesn't seem to be working!!

how long ago did you have your baby? My baby boy will be turning one next month (June 9th). I was very frustrated when I first started trying to lose the weight. I began working out immediately after my six week post-partum check-up. I started with cardio 3 days a week, then four, then five, then doing a Cathe weight workout. I was so frustrated b/c the first few months, nothing came off and when it did, it was like a pound here a pound there. I think two things played into effect 1. hormones (even though you are not pregnant anymore it takes your body a while to adjust 2. my age (with my first baby I was 28 and did not have much trouble losing the weight, this time I am 31 and it stayed around longer. After almost a year, I passed my pre-baby weight (which was 172) and am going for another 12-17 pounds. I am 5'9" and I fit into clothes that I didn't fit into before the baby. My advice. . . do not get down about how slow it will take to lose the weight. . keep working and it will come off. Monitor what you eat and log it (like the posters said) and change up your workouts every 4-6 weeks (this really has worked for me the last few months). When you are not working out, still move, take the baby for walks, dance with the baby, whatever. One mistake I made in the beginning was I'd sit with the baby all day and then workout for an hour and think that is all I needed. You should be active more than an hour a day, right? Also, I don't believe in depriving oneself. If I want a cookie or a piece of cake, I have it. I just always make sure I eat no more than a serving size listed on the product. The only thing I completely cut out is soda and I have no regrets about that. . . so many empty calories in one can. Drink water, water, water!! And that's about it. Sorry this is kind of long, hope this helps.

Kristin

After the birth of my second son I started a yo-yo dieting career that spanned over 9 years and took me from 130 lbs to 277 lbs (I am sure it was more but I stopped going on the scale at that weight). Finally, last year a light bulb went on and I have lost 97 lbs and 18 % body fat since July 08.

I don't count calories or protein/carb/fat percentages. Logging my food and planning makes food the center of my universe and I will start binging. I eat mainly plant-based whole foods, grains, nuts, seeds and some fish. No meat or dairy. It is very similar to the food in the book The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose.

I exercise 6 times a week. Mainly running with my dogs between 2 and 10 miles per day for a total of 20 to 25 miles per week. I am a Cardio Coach addict, running with my dogs and Cardio Coach is more than a workout for me, it's my therapy session. Currently I am doing a Slow and Heavy rotation with pretty visible results after 2 weeks. Other than that:

3 15 min. ab workouts
4 to 5 20 min. yoga workouts
2 Qigong sessions (stretching, breathing, meditation)
Slow 30 min. evening walks with my dogs or jumping on the rebounder for 20 min. on alternating days

It sounds a lot but it is really not. I work out anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours per day that includes stretching/yoga.

This works really well for me, I am rarely hungry, I have no binge eating attacks anymore and I feel awesome.

I hope you find what works for you.

I did weight watchers and slowly started working out. That was 2001; it took me about a year but I lost 45 pounds and have kept it off.

Another weight watchers member here. I am 40 years old and lost 68 lbs. last year. I followed the online program and have been keeping the weight off for the last 5 months. I have decided to lose an additional 10 pounds and am now following the program again.

Keeping track of what I eat, eating healthy foods and exercising daily has been working for me.

Less now than before!

Hey

I was in the same boat as you! I gained alot with my first son and then did not loose it before the second. I have lost alot by really eating clean. I use the Tosca Reno approach. Nothing processed (minimal for me), 6 small meals , protein and complex carbs at each meal. Her site is eatclean.com and has alot of good info. The next big thing that I have done to get to the next level too was adding in weight training and uping the intensity of my cardio.
Now I actually weigh less than I did in grade 9.

Good luck
Heather

I lost 40 pounds 10 years ago and my twin sister lost 50. We both have kept the weight off.

I didn't keep track of calories because I'm not a numbers person. I just looked what I was eating and made changes. I actually read the food labels and was SHOCKED at the stuff I was putting in my mouth. I cleaned out the kitchen and replaced the junk with healthy foods. I will admit it was hard but it can be done.

I exercised about 5 days a week with Taebo. I lost about 3 pounds a month so it took a while but it was worth it.

Losing weight is a slow process (at least it was for me) so don't get discouraged. Make healthy choices, exercise and you will see changes.

Good Luck!

You can totally do this. I don't count calories, or weigh myself. I just don't like to over obsess over numbers and I've been known to do that in the past. I did go from a size 12 to a size 4. My best words of advice is to take it slow. Make small changes and find a workout that is fun so you'll be more opt to do it. Come hang out with us here on the forum for some daily pep talks and just to share challenges and ask questions. Eating right is very important but again take it slow. Just make small changes like drinking more water or switching to whole grains and remember we all have set backs, just try to be consistent and remember it is a lifestyle change.
By the way love your pic. You and your baby are soo cute. My little monsters are 6 and 8 and I remember the times when they would just lie there and suck on their toes. They grow really fast.

I have to say I really dislike counting calories..it's so time consuming. Everyone says you have to have an exact number not to go over or under on

I wish it was as easy as just eating a clean diet..but I notice when I eat clean I might not be eating enough.. as long as we are eating good foods, does it matter if our calories are lower?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.