Anyone in, near or know St. Louis, MO?

tsagona

Cathlete
My DH was laid off and his last day is this Friday. However, he learned today that he may be offered another job in St. Louis with his company. The office is actually in downtown St. Louis.

My question is: where would someone want to live or not want to live in the St. Louis and surrounding areas? Downtowns are not usually a place you want to be but he would have to be able to make a reasonable commute.

Please tell me there is somewhere really great to live in or around St. Louis!!!

Thanks,

Tracy

well, i did not live there, but my sone was stationed at scott AFB for 4 yrs. it is about 30m from st. louis. we went there several time and it is a nice town. they have great stuff to do. a great zoo, museums, forest park. it is a great place to vixit. now, it is waaay too cold for me in the winter. i live in s. texas. :) and the 12' one day was just tooo much. and the snow, no thanks. and it is pretty . rollin gh ills and farmland. i'm sure someone who lives there will post to you.
cathy

Yes, I'm afraid of the winters there. I currently live in Louisiana so I'm used to the nice warm temps. Although I did live in VA for 9 years so I understand cold and snow but I prefer warm. But, I also prefer working as opposed to the unemployment line.

Thanks for your info. I previously heard about Forest Park. Also, Dardenne Prarie ??

Tracy

Tracy,

Check your private messages. I sent you some info.:)

I wanted to add something my husband wanted me to tell you. Chesterfield is the most popular area for out of state transfers. The commute is a straight shot down hwy 40, but they have the hwy shut down for construction. Once it opens, commute should be a breeze. Chesterfield area is beautiful.

Last edited:
I personally like the Brentwood & Richmond Heights area because it is centrally located and there is lots to do. It has some older but nice established homes with big trees. The area has really been growing and is extremely convenient for working downtown. It has the mall with the trendier shops in the St. Louis area (called the St. Louis Galleria). There are several major universities in that area too. Because of that there are lots of fun restaurants and lots of diversity. Lastly, there is public transportation in this area including buses and the rail system that goes downtown.

I agree with the other poster that Chesterfield is nice. I think the drive there from downtown feels long (to me) and seems like the population is predominantly (not completely) white affluent 40 somethings. There is nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.

Definitely ask people you meet at your husbands company too because it would be nice to know some coworkers live somewhat nearby. Also, as with most cities, there are many parts of St. Louis that are dangerous. A real estate agent would be a definite to help steer you to the nicer areas.

Good luck!
Monica

I lived there for about 2 years. It was about 4 years ago. I had lived in Atlanta since college (about 15 years) and loved it. Then we moved to Va Beach for 2 years (hated, hated, hated it) and then my husband took a job in St. Louis. I thought we were going back to Atlanta and then he hit me with St. Louis. I was so MAD. I went KICKING AND SCREAMING. When the plane landed in St. Louis and the pilot said "Welcome to St. Louis, Missouri", I said, "St. Louis is in Missouri? I thought it was Kansas". Well, anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised. I REALLY liked it there (even though I didn't want to). We lived in Chesterfield and it was beautiful, pleasant and affordable. The people there were always welcoming and very friendly. The schools were excellent. There is a group, I think it is called New Neighbors and it is a social organization for women who are new to the area (they have a ton of activities such as bookclubs, walking groups, kids play groups, card game groups, wine tasting groups, etc). It was a fantastic group and I met so many wonderful people. St. Louis is a fabulous place to have kids. They have this great (I mean GREAT) kids museum called the Magic House and another called the City Museum. It is very easy to get downtown from the burbs. Also, if you have kids that need to learn to swim, there is this excellent summer program at this woman's house. She has 3 pools in her backyard.

I loved Chesterfield. Brentwood is nice, but it's a more long time established neighborhood where people who have been in St. Louis their whole lives stay. So, it's harder to meet new people. I found that the people who lived there already had friends and were friendly, but not really looking to make new friends. There is a strong network of people who go back to St. Louis after school.

My husband commuted to Downtown from Chesterfield. He did not mind the commute at all. But, that's after he used to have a 60-90 minute commute in Atlanta. I found it very easy to get around in St. Louis. Traffic was never really a problem.

The winters are cold, but not horrible. We did not get a lot of snow when I was there. Maybe 5 days in the 2 winters we lived there. It does stay colder longer than in Atlanta. But I'm from Florida and I survived. I found that a really good down coat made a huge difference. The one bad thing is that in the winter, it is grey and gloomy and that does get depressing.

I am very happy to be back in Atlanta because for me, it is home. But I enjoyed our adventure in St. Louis. I think it's a fantastic place to live. If you want a referral to a realtor, let me know. I thought the woman who helped us sell our home was fantastic. It was the 4th time we sold a house and of all the realtors we used, she was the most on the ball. She is also involved in the New Neighbors group and could help you get involved in that.

Good Luck!!!

Lauren

Wow ! What great responses. Thank yall very much.

Cynthia, what great info you provided. I'll have to print it if we find out for sure we're going to St. Louis.

We should hear something tomorrow about the possibility of us moving to St. Louis.

Keep you fingers crossed and we accept all prayers, ha!

Thanks again yall,

Tracy :D

I live in West County, suburb outside of St. Louis. Eureka is very nice, it is in stl county, but, there are also some outside areas in jefferson county, boarding Eureka, that are very nice(acreage properties) and still part of Rockwood School District, great public school district, helps keep our property values high. Eureka is a straight shot down I-44 to downtown. Close to a lot, but a bit separated because of parks, keeps it feeling not too crowded. Check it out!!

Eureka is a very nice area! It is more of a country setting without being too far from civilization. My husband has a membership at The Legends Golf club.:) The homes are very nice.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.