anyone have a c-section?

Road2ANewMe

Cathlete
I had an account with cathe but for some reason, it kept denying my password and the e-mail on file isn't a current e-mail. So, i had to get a new account. Anyways, I haven't worked out in 10 months or so. I got pregnant and quit...stupid I know. However, this was my third baby, and I am now 3 weeks and 3 days post op.

I am wanting to get started again. I got the all clear from my OB (at 2 weeks non the less...isn't she nuts?!?) so now i just need to begin. However, cathe ain't no joke as you all know, so where shoudl I begin? Go back to the basic step? Also, for those with babies, what is it like to workout while nursing? I thought about joining a gym, but I have 3 kids now...4, 20mths, and 3 weeks. I don't have time to get to the gym, and my older kids won't stay at the gym!

thanks!!
Jessica

Congrats on the new baby!!!!

I had to get a c-section for the first and only time for my 5th pregnancy (twins). x( It took me a lot longer to recover than 2 weeks . So, you must have been good with taking it easy!!!

Hopefully, someone will have valid researched answers for you. I didn't work-out at all when I nursed any of my babies. My sister had told me that she had seen a report on the news saying that working out affected the milk. I didn't have time to look into it. So, I just didn't. Thankfully, the weight melted off by 3 months.

Best wishes!!!

Wendy

I had two c-sections. After each one I started back slow - taking walks with the babies in a stroller. If you want to do step, I would think starting with Basic Step or Low Impact Step is a good idea. You need to listen to your body.

As for exercising while breast feeding. I breast fed both of my children for a year each and exercised. Everything I have read said it is fine. However, it can change the taste of the milk. The baby might notice and not want to eat. The literature I read suggested pumping before your workout so taht you have good, extra milk on stand-by.

Hope this helps!

Carrie

It has been a long time since mine, 20 years, but I could not imagine going back to work-outs after 2 weeks. I was not allowed to even drive until 3 weeks, and lift nothing heavier than the baby. I started doing things around 5-6 weeks post-op. And then easy, walking, isometric crunches and such. By 3 months I had started working back into my regular weight routine, but really had some tenderness for quite some time after that. Made me appreciate the second birth which was VBAC, and much shorter recovery!

I had two c-sections and with both of them I started off walking. I did a light walk at first and then moved up to a very brisk 5 miles a day. Once I was ready for Cathe, I did her step workouts all low imapct. As far as resistance training I did Muscle Endurance and some of the easier ones.

I also worked out through both my pregnancies, so I was ready at two weeks to start working out again.

The nurses told me the best thing for my abs was walking, so that is where I started. They said that is what actually fuses the muscles back together.

Good luck, take it slow and enjoy the time with your new baby.

I had 3 C's and though I wasn't doing a regular exercise routine, I healed pretty quickly. I must say that I was told I couldn't do much but my regularly needed chores and take care of myself, baby and sibs for the first 6 weeks. That was 20 years ago though.

One thing I'd caution you about is (and here goes one of those horror stories) though I didn't have bad scar tissue, the doc was actually impressed, that about 7 years after the last one I did end up tearing my abs at the scarline. Quite excruciating. I am an active person and more athletic than most.

That would make me caution you to start anything too early. Let your abs heal and remember that your core is involved is just about everything you do. If you are active, you will get back in shape once you are healed.

Jacque,

That does sound painful!!!! I agree with you about not starting anything too early. My doctor held back from lecturing me because I went to the NICU every day to see my twins. He'd probably go off the deep end if I even thought of doing Cathe's Basic Step at 2 weeks postpartum!!!!

Just from going to the NICU everyday did have a negative impact on healing... that just walking to the car, into the hospital and being pushed in a wheelchair up to the NICU. It wasn't until my twins were in their elementary years that I didn't feel my scar pulling/tugging.

Wendy

I had a c-section with both my pregnancies, and worked out slowly at first (about 4 weeks after). I didn't do anything more strenuous than CTX cardio to start with, and with my twins I used a post partum workout that was very slow, more stretching and strengthening. And no real intense cardio until about 8 weeks at least.

I also nursed my children for one year, and never had a problem with changes in my milk. However, I did do the pump before you workout and wore two workout bras for extra support. (I am not a large person, but during breastfeeding, I definitely needed to double up!)

Congrats to you and your family!

Tricia

Thank you all! I am not ready to start back today, but I think i would be ready in a few weeks. I was beyone shocked when she said I could resume all activity at 2wks! (minus sex of course!)

I just am anxious to lose this weight and wear normal clothes again!

Jessica

Be patient, the body comes back, but it does take time. By one year after my first was born I was a total hardbody again. That may seem like a long time to you, but in the grand scheme of things, it really is not.

I would have to say that if you are nursing and running around taking care of a newborn and your household duties you will be burning extra calories anyway and should start dropping weight.

The toning will happen soon enough. And your body will remember lifting and exercise and shape right back up.

I've had 3 sections and you need at least 6 weeks to recover before you exercise.

I did aerobics after mine and the only thing that happened while working out was I leaked because I was nursing. Kinda difficult in a mixed group of people but most were moms and understood.

Once I had 3 I didn't workout till my youngest was like 3 because then the other 2 (then 5 and 7) could entertain him while I worked out.

Congratulations on the new baby!! Enjoy then while they are young they grow up fast.

Me. mom to now a almost 16 year old, almost 14 year old and a 11.5 year old all boys.

First off Congratulations on your baby.

I had my c-section 3 years ago and my doctor didn't want me doing any activity until at least 4 - 6 weeks. At about 4 weeks I started stroller walking usually 1hr every day. Shortly after that I would also do 30min floor aerobics and just slowly work up my intensity. It took me exactly 9months to lose what took 9 months to put on. I don't think I could imagine lifting my legs up to do step early on. It took along time for me to recover from the incision and even now I have to be careful doing forward lunges. When I come back out of a lunge it sometimes hurts at my scar.

Maybe you can find other Moms to go walking with or our YMCA had an organized stroller walking that was free 2/week.

I had a emergency C section 11 years ago so that was quite awhile. My lovely DS was stuck in the birth canal and was born with an Apgar score of 1.
Anyway. I worked out doing the Firm during pregnancy and after birth and 12 hours of hard back labor that ended up in you know what I felt pretty good except for any twisting and rolling over stuff. That was the hard part. It hurt to roll over in bed. I could walk and do stairs ok. Slowly. But.. The bad thing that happened to me had nothing to do with my exercising it was taking DS out of the car in his car seat while he was dead asleep and I herniated two disks. It was a twisting low to high motion. I had sciatica with foot drop. I didn't like the odds of surgery, 50/50 so I just did chiropractic and easy non impact workouts but it took over a year to heal.
Be careful. Your joints are loose for a long time after birth. It isn't just the tummy stuff.
Enjoy your new baby. Don't you just love the new baby smell. They are so sweet. Take good care of your self.
Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.