Anyone else get their Fitbit?

jennifur

Cathlete
After a long wait, I received my fitbit yesterday in the mail. I forgot to check the mailbox yesterday so I found it there this morning:). I got the shipping notice on Thursday and it was in may mailbox on Sat. wooohooo.
I'm charging it right now and hope to start wearing it before bed tonight. I am really curious to see how it stacks up against my GWF -( I was sooo tired of people making comments about it, and cracks about me being obsessed,etc)I like the fact that the FitBit is small enough to be discreet and that there is no monthly fee.Anyway........did anyone else get a FitBit? I'm so curious to compare the two ! I will update when I've had time to familiarize myself with this.

Please post after you have used it a couple of days. I'm curious on how accurate you think it is and if it's as easy to break and some have complained about.

I read on it and it seemed to just be pedometer on steriods. So I would be very curious if it is comparable to the gowear fit in it's calorie burn stats.

Got mine too!! Today will be the first full day. I'm wearing both my GWF and the fitbit at the same time. I just discovered that the fitbit also has a 'trip' tracker, so that will be useful. So far it seems to be in the ballpark, if a bit under estimating steps and calories burned vs. what GWF tracks. But I will wait to pass judgement until I at least get a full week of comparisons.

Positives so far - EASY to sync. Just walk past and it uploads. :) The download was easy, but you do have to initiate it. It seems to clip pretty securely (without the holster) to my bra. And it is much more discreet that the GWF. You can check your stats by pressing a button - similar to the GWF display.

Semi-Negatives - You do have to 'put' it into sleep mode. That's not a huge deal for me. And the wrist band slides around. Not sure if that is a problem for tracking or not. I'd rather have a different 'motivator' than the 'growing' flower. Something to remind me to move. But GWF doesn't have this either.

The website is similar to the GWF website AND it's free!!.

I too plan on wearing both, at least for today. So far I like it. i've noticed calories and steps are a little lower with FitBit, the sleep feature was very close, off by about 5 min. So far I like it. Let's see how it goes. I figure, if I'm consistently using one device it gives me a baseline whether or not it is exactly the same as GWF does not matter as much as its consistency , if that makes sense to you.

I have never heard of the Fibit -- Very interested in your results. I have the GWF also. Please let us know! Thanks!! :)

I'd love to know how the FitBit stacks up against GWF. I'd really love a GWF but the monthly subscription fee is really keeping me from getting one.

FitBit is the one they use on Biggest Loser, isn't it?

Actually it's the BodyBug that they use on the Biggest Loser. You can find info about it at fitbit.com . I am going to wait a few days to post more, but.....while I'm here... so far the fitbit is running about 200 calories less than the GWF,the steps are different with the Fit bit being lower by about 50. I wasn't losing using the GWF and my intake was about a 750 calorie deficit at the time. I don't know if I wasn't accurate with logging my intake or if maybe my calories burned according to GWF were more than what I really burned, not sure. This is an interesting experiment. I do love how discreet this is though. Enough of that. I will update in a few days.

The one activity I'm wondering on how the fitbit performs is the calorie burn while doing weight training. I'm wondering if just detecting movement will make the calorie burn way off when doing STS.

If you wear both the fitbit and the gowear fit that's a perfect test !

The one activity I'm wondering on how the fitbit performs is the calorie burn while doing weight training. I'm wondering if just detecting movement will make the calorie burn way off when doing STS.

If you wear both the fitbit and the gowear fit that's a perfect test !

I didn't press the activity trackers on either device. But I was wearing them during the workout. I did Cathe STS Meso 1 Week 2 - Back/Triceps. It's about 1hr long. Both recorded similar readings. I got comparatively low calorie burns during the workout on BOTH devices. It was in the 160-180 range. Next time I will press the trackers for both. But that won't be until the end of the week.

For the full day yesterday The fitbit was lower for BOTH calorie and step count. Calories were lower by about 120 calories in fitbit. Step count was lower by 700 steps. That is a 4% variance for each.

I'll be monitoring for awhile, so keep in mind this is VERY preliminary.

So far I'm noticing very similar results. I didn't set either when I did Disc 1 today either, but I was also was wearing my F4 polar which registered 224 calories. Gee, it does seem like I have a lot of gadgets :D

So far I'm noticing very similar results. I didn't set either when I did Disc 1 today either, but I was also was wearing my F4 polar which registered 224 calories. Gee, it does seem like I have a lot of gadgets :D
My kind of gal!! :D

From today's lunch walk
I used the activity/trip setting for both
I use Cardio Coach and interval between brisk walking and racewalking
(today was Vol 8 short warmup + challenge 1 + challenge 3 + 5min from Vol 7 challenge 1)

GWF vs Fitbit

367 vs 170 calories
4861 vs 3951 steps

GWF minutes = 5 moderate, 27 vigorous
Fitbit distance = 2 miles

It appears as though the fitbit doesn't differentiate between different walk types :(

I'm still using both. Overall these are my findings

- FB (fitbit) shows fewer calories burned and steps taken per day than GWF (GowearFit). The variance is not consistent. It seems to depend on the activity and can range from 50 calories (which I consider to be very good) to over 200 calories per day.

-The activity with the largest variance seems to be racewalking. It just doesn't seem to 'register' correctly with the FB. I can get a 100 calorie difference just in my 1/2 lunch walk. Steps are also much lower with the FB for this. Jogging and regular walking are much closer in tracked calories and steps. Not sure what about my racewalking gait is confusing it. :confused:

- FB also tracks fewer calories for Cathe type workouts. I did STS cardio core circuit today. FB = 347 calories. GWF = 450. FB DID say it was the equivalent of 2+ miles :D

- FB has the distance walked which I love. GWF does not.

- FB is SO much easier to sync and is much more discreet.

- I still consider GWF to be my 'gold standard'.

- FB website and tracking is FREE

My GWF subscription is up in May. Will I continue? probably not. but that's because I already have a long history of analyzing my activities. The GWF was invaluable with my recent weight loss. Having both the GWF and the FB has shown me the differences between them. I can add in activities into the FB website if I care to. But for daily tracking after May the FB will probably be 'good enough'.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.