Anyone Else Anemic?

tneah

Cathlete
Hey All,

I am having surgery on the 10th-hip replacement. The blood tests came back, I am .5 or something. In other words my heavy periods over the years have caused my to become anemic.My red blood cell count is at the level that most people are at after a major surgery, so they are concerned. They asked me to take 3 iron tablets a day.I also have been scarfing down the spinach and vitamin C which is supposed to help with absorption. Funny, my cardio capacity is great, so geez, I wonder what it would be like when I have normal levels??

The doctor told me that I may need blood transfusions, should I be scared? I am kinda freaked out about this, I am nervous about the whole recovery thing anyway (and the ability to exercise afterwards-I can of course, but I still am upset my body will be "under the weather for 6 weeks.)
I know some of you are nurses, and wondered what you thought about this?
Well, at least I know why I crave and eat ice like mad, until I chipped a tooth that is!
Anyway, thanks for your input, I am just a little scared about the whole deal.

tneah

I just found out I'm anemic too. Like you, I'm craving ice big time! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Why ice? I bought ice shavers (one for home, one for work) to help save my teeth. I can't even sleep, sometimes, for craving ice.

I have no idea if this is anything to worry about or not. My doctor didn't seem too concerned about it, but I'm not expecting surgery anytime soon. Good luck with yours.

Shari

Hi tneah, I have had slight anemia on and off, probably due to periods and being a regular blood donor. I just take extra iron. Three iron tablets sounds like a lot, but I guess it's kind of a rush job to get your H&H up before the surgery. Did anyone warn you about constipation? You may want to ask your doctor about that, if no one mentioned it...

Anytime you get a blood product, there is risk involved. (I work in a lab) They screen the units carefully for HIV, CMS and hepatitis. They also will crossmatch your blood type with the units you may recieve to make sure they are compatible. There is always a chance that a error may be made, so know your blood type and ask the nurse who is hanging the unit what type she is giving you. There are all kinds of checks before they give the blood to you, but if someone isn't paying attention...They will also monitor you while recieving the blood to make sure you aren't having a reaction. While there is risk, it's no more than the risk you are already facing with having major surgery. Good luck and keep us posted.

Count me in, I have pernicious anemia. Try as I might my hemoglobin is chronically low. I avoid iron supplement because of the 'bunging up' factor, I know I should take them but my energy level is very good and I eat well.

I am like you, good cardio capacity, and wonder what I would be like with higher counts. I hope you can rest you mind and not worry too much, anemia is pretty common. The doctor is obligated to cover all bases which is good but knowing the 'worst case scenario' can be pretty alarming. All the best to you...you are in my thoughts.

Take Care
Laurie:)

You know I had mentioned to a friend a while ago that I really craved ice cream all the time and that I was beginning to think it was the cold I craved and not necessarily the sweet. He immediately told me I was anemic! Shocked me. He is not a doctor but someone who only eats organic, is holistic etc. Also lately I have been very low energy and I guess I should rethink this whole situation and find out if I am actually anemic. I am past menopause but do not eat any red meat and haven't for over 30 years.

Thanks for your input. I have been taking Milk Thistle and sometimes, the Oxypowder and Paratex-Lauramax had talked about this in an earlier post. It really helps with the "bunging up" factor!:)

Shari, I bought a snowcone maker, just to be able to eat the shaved ice!Crazy stuff huh? But the iron is working, because I have not had to urge to "ice munch" all week long.:7

I am glad I am not the only one with this. And Robin, thanks for the input, I will get tested again before surgery and will make sure I am aware of my blood type. I will let my DH know as well-not that he will remember!:)

Thanks for the advice.

I am anemic too. Although the iron pills have done a pretty good job of getting my levels back up. I was taking two iron pills on my own, because the thought of needing a transfusion was a bit overwhelming for me, and also the doctor mentioned surgery to get my heavy periods under control, and I also wanted to avoid that. I told my gyno that I had been taking 2 iron pills a day, and she told me not to do that. She said taking more than one iron pill a day was a waste of time, because your body can only absorb soo much and it doesn't matter how many more you take aside from the one. I guess doctors have different opinions, so when I saw yours said take 3, I thought that was interesting.

Also, my mom was recently diagnosed with anemia too, and her doctor has her on a series of injections that normally bring the iron levels up pretty quickly. Has your doctor suggested this for you before surgery. It may be worth a shot.

I used to have problems with low iron when I donated blood and was running 4-5 days a week. The blood center gave me: http://bloodcenter.stanford.edu/donate/PDFs/Iron-Community.pdf

I actually have had incredibly high levels of iron, ironically since I stopped eating red and white meat and only eat fish. (I think it's due to also drinking soy rather than cow's milk and all of the vitamins they add to my soy milk.)

The urgency you're hearing is likely due to your surgery coming up fast. Like Iris said, iron can be a slow one to add to your system. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.