Anyone diagnosed as pre-diabetic?

kgalas

Cathlete
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone out in Catheland is/was a prediabetic? I just got my blood test results back from my yearly physical. Here are my numbers: 152-total cholesterol, 47-triglycerides, 45-HDL, 97-LDL and then the kicker-101-fasting glucose. Normal is 100 or less.

I'm a bit freaked out by it. I have no other risk factors. I'm 35 years old, weigh between 115-118 at 5'6'', work out with Cathe 5-6 days/week, eat relatively healthy, etc. Now I have to go back for a second test and am a bit concerned.

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks,
Klaudia

My whole family on my father's side had diabetes, and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, so looking at the odds I have a good chance developing diabetes at some point in my life.
I have a glucose monitor at home(bought for $ 20 at Rite Aide) and test my sugar periodically. That 101 fasting sugar doesn't mean too much.
Mine sometimes 86, sometimes 105 depending more on the exercises than on the food I ate the day before.
You don't seem to fit the profile of a pre-diabetic but if you are very worried and have a family history of diabetes invest in a glucose monitor and check your sugar once in a while.
Again, I don't think you should worry too much about that 101, since everyting else looks good.

My DH had a similar reading, but his reasons are obvious. The doc essentially told him that if he loses weight, his blood sugar will be normal. My guess is that he has at least 30 lbs. to lose. You, on the other hand, are obviously very slim. I'll bet it was just an anomaly.

Sometimes there isn't much you can do about diabetes. My DH was diagnosed with Type 1 about 7 years ago. He has always been in great shape, slim, active, eats mostly healthy etc. The docs thought he had Type 2 since he was older and it is unusual to get Type 1 when you are older and not overweight. But his dad has Type 1 and my DHs diabetes just took longer to show I guess. He could not have done ANYthing to prevent it. It sounds like you are doing just about everything right, so try not to be to hard on yourself. Your test could have been high due to hormones, but then again it wasn't really high if normal is 100 or less!

Mary

With your physical attributes...and Unless you have diabetes in your family, I wouldn't base too much on just that one test. And plus, it wasn't THAT out of range.

My son (12) has Type 1 Diabetes too. He was diagnosed when he was 9. One of his first cousin's also has Type 1 , diagnosed around age 12.

~Chris

Having a reading of 1mg/dl off means pretty much zero, since most meters have an error rate of something like 7%. I expect you got yours done through a lab, though, so I don't know what the lab values are.

Seriously, I can check mine 4 times in a minute and get 4 different results that can be about 30mg/dl off. Again, on my meter. (Type 1 since I was 10, 21 years.)

You're not diagnosed as pre-diabetic unless you have a fasting blood sugar that's greater than 130-140.

Actually, normal blood sugars range from 80-120, so you are well within the normal range!

It's nothing to be freaked about, I promise you!!!

>You're not diagnosed as pre-diabetic unless you have a
>fasting blood sugar that's greater than 130-140.
>
>Actually, normal blood sugars range from 80-120, so you are
>well within the normal range!
>
>It's nothing to be freaked about, I promise you!!!

Actually the above is not true anymore. Normal fasting blood sugars are <100 and a normal non-fasting blood sugar is <140. Diabetes is diagnosed when fasting is 126 or higher or a random sugar or glucose tolerance test is over 200. Numbers between diabetes and diabetes are pre-diabetes. The American Diabetes Association has a lot of information on diabetes and pre-diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.org/about-diabetes.jsp

I do agree that this is nothing to be freaked out about though. Recent research showed that people with pre-diabetes who walked 30 minutes 5 times weekly delayed the progression to diabetes by almost 60%. As a Cathe fan my guess is you do more than that already.

Not everyone with diabetes is overweight or obese, overeats, and is a couch potato. There are people who do everything right in terms of a healthy lifesytle and they still get diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol problems etc. The underlying cause is genetic. There are also people who are obese, eat junk all day, don't exercise, smoke, drink too much etc and they don't have a thing wrong with them. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

All you can do is the best you can.

I've had Type 2 diabetes for 20 years now so I do know a little about how scary this can be. If the second tests confirm pre-diabetes I'd suggest you research as much as you can. Also ask your doctor for a referral to see a diabetes educator.

Diana

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm a hypochondriac, so to actually get a call back from my doctor so soon requesting another test really scared me. Hearing all your responses helps put things in perspective. I appreciate it a lot.

Klaudia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.