Anyone breastfeeding after returning to work?

tricia

Cathlete
I'm going back to work in two weeks and am wondering how much I need to have pumped before I go back - Anyone already doing this?

I have a hard time remembering to pump when the baby is napping, and I'm not sure if I should be on the side she just ate from or on the "full" side? Who knew there were so many things to consider - I just want to do what's best for me and Isabella.......Maybe I'm overthinking it?? Any input would be so appreciated.

I'd also love to hear how anyone handles breastfeeding after the maternity leave is up.

Tricia

Hi Tricia! While I'm still on leave from full-time I have started back teaching part-time. I pretty much started pumping what I can and the result is that I have a variety of oz. bottles (disposables). I pump prior to feeding and even after if I need the relief still. Currently, the longest I've left my daughter is for 5.5 hours in which she was brought to me to feed afterbut she hardly nursed at all and my husband (who was "babysitting") said she was still fine.

The other thing that seems to affect her need for or duration of daily feedings is whether or not she nurses at night. She usually nurses twice during the night.

I don't know if this helps or not. Just an idea of what I've been doing...maybe try a lactation consultant for guidance if you don't find it here?

Take care! jeni

Hi Tricia!

I, like you, also wished to continue breastfeeding after my maternity leave was up. I wanted to breastfeed until she was one and we were able to. I simply fed her right before I went to work at 7:15 and then again when I picked her up at 4:00. While at work I pumped during my lunch break. Typically I always pumped enough at work to cover what she needed the next day (typically 9-12 ounces depending on how much water I drank that morning). It worked great. We maybe supplemented half a can of formula, but she just always seemed to eat what I had pumped the day before.

It was kinda nice to have my lunch hour back, but I was so glad that it worked 6 months. I'm a school teacher, so I would just lock my door and pump. Some work places have a designated room where you might be able to go.

Some of my friends froze milk before returning to work, but I was only able to freeze maybe 12-8oz packages. One girl was able to freeze a weeks worth. If I remember right she really drank a lot more than ususal and pumped twice at work.

Hope something here helps....but don't feel bad if it doesn't work out for you and your baby. Good Luck! -Sami

I pumped after I went back to work (after 10 weeks). My daughter was on exclusive breastmilk for 9 months then supplemented with formula until she was 1. I worked at the Pentagon and they have "nursing mother's rooms" with hospital quality pumps, sink, and a place to keep all your stuff. The atmosphere was great because I got to know other moms and we encouraged each other during the rough spots.

Pumping during the day is not as "difficult" as when you are home with the baby. I had the same experience worrying whether I would empty myself and the baby would wake up hungry. When you are at work, the baby is not around so you don't have to worry about that!

Overall breastfeeding and pumping were great experciences. Here are a few rougher things: You must pump two to three times while you are away from the baby (depending on how long you are apart) or your supply will not keep up. Also, all that pumping takes time, so you have to have an understanding boss. At the Pentagon, your boss has to sign a paper saying he/she understands the time commitment and "allows" you to do it.

The strategy is to pump enough today for tomorrow's day care. I would also keep a little reserve in the freezer at home and at daycare for days when she wanted a little more.

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.