Anyone bought the Girls Gone Strong 'Modern Woman's Guide to Strength Training'?

MomInVT

Cathlete
Just wondering if anyone has purchased this package?
If so, how has it benefited you?
I love GGS, love what it stands for, but at $100 for the basic package I'd have to be convinced it would really give me something I can't get elsewhere... :confused:
I only work out at home, and almost always with DVDs, so it's not like I'm wandering around the gym wondering how to strength train... seems like it would really be useful it that were my situation.
That said, I'd be open to doing non-DVD home strength workouts if they were really amazing.
Curious to hear thoughts/experiences.
TIA,
Roz

Hi Roz,

Can't comment on the GGS book, nor am I personally experienced in complete non-DVD programs (I need Cathe, Sagi, and others to motivate me!). My DH, on the other hand, has done several non-DVD strength programs and has enjoyed each of them for different reasons:

1) 5x5 training: Just Google this and you will find a multitude of free plans, but the basic idea is to do a 3 day split (2 days UB/1 day legs) where you do a few select exercises for 5 sets at a weight at which you can only muster out 5 reps. There are variations on this theme, but that's the basic idea. I think this program could be as short as 4 weeks if you want. It's not as long as the others I'm about to mention.

2) Body For Life workout: You can check out the book from your library (that's what my DH did) and it contains a 12-week plan that alternates heavy splits (3x/week) with HiiT cardio (2-3x/week, IIRC). A big component of this plan is also diet-related. My DH had significant fat loss during this one.

3) Visual Impact Muscle Building: A three phase workout (requires an online purchase of a PDF plan) recommended to last as long as 6 months, but it's adaptable. The first phase is muscle endurance/size; second phase is strength (involving a 5x5 approach); and the last phase is about muscle density (very few reps with very very heavy weights). Quite similar to STS. Go here for the website (sorry for some of the pics on the website, they show a bit too much flesh for my taste). The guy behind the program's name is Rusty Moore and he sends weekly email newsletters. The download is $47. His website says he has a new book for women, but my DH is doing the traditional program.

Of the 3 programs I've mentioned, my DH likes the Visual Impact program the best. I personally think I'd enjoy Body For Life more, but it just depends on your individual workout likes/dislikes.

Not at all what you asked for but I hope that helps to some extent! :)

Lisa

I'm in the middle of a 12 week non-DVD program now.

At first I thought I wouldn't be able to do it without someone to follow but I'm really enjoying setting my own pace which can be faster than a DVD instructor at times. (Its a "work-capacity" type weight training program by Matt Wiggens of Working Class Fitness called "Working Class Cardio"). I try to push myself as hard as I can knowing that if I need a break I take it and then go again as soon as I am ready without pausing or rewinding.

I'm three weeks in and have done more stuff than I thought possible and it just keeps building for the next 9 weeks as each week adds another layer of either reps, sets or exercises. Its a combo of bodyweight moves, explosive lifting moves and traditional lifting moves and some days you get to pick your own move. It will say triceps, 3 sets of 8 and you decide which tri exercise you want to do. I think it works well because I have so much experience with Cathe's lifting workouts I can always quickly come up with an exercise.

Typically what I think you get with a non-DVD program is some type of PDF workout sheets, a calendar, some type of explanation and maybe some links to videos to demo the moves. You might need an interval timer for some parts in order to time rests or intervals. They are easy to download apps for on a phone or tablet.

(I also like that I can jam to my own music on the non-DVD program. Not that I don't like Cathe's - I also like mine!)

I'm in the middle of a 12 week non-DVD program now.

At first I thought I wouldn't be able to do it without someone to follow but I'm really enjoying setting my own pace which can be faster than a DVD instructor at times. (Its a "work-capacity" type weight training program by Matt Wiggens of Working Class Fitness called "Working Class Cardio"). I try to push myself as hard as I can knowing that if I need a break I take it and then go again as soon as I am ready without pausing or rewinding.

I'm three weeks in and have done more stuff than I thought possible and it just keeps building for the next 9 weeks as each week adds another layer of either reps, sets or exercises. Its a combo of bodyweight moves, explosive lifting moves and traditional lifting moves and some days you get to pick your own move. It will say triceps, 3 sets of 8 and you decide which tri exercise you want to do. I think it works well because I have so much experience with Cathe's lifting workouts I can always quickly come up with an exercise.

Typically what I think you get with a non-DVD program is some type of PDF workout sheets, a calendar, some type of explanation and maybe some links to videos to demo the moves. You might need an interval timer for some parts in order to time rests or intervals. They are easy to download apps for on a phone or tablet.

(I also like that I can jam to my own music on the non-DVD program. Not that I don't like Cathe's - I also like mine!)

I love working out with a non-DVD program. Go at your own pace, jam to your own music, sometimes pick your own exercise. Love these type of workouts. I worked out to Brett Contreras, "Great Glutes" like this. Great program. Definitely agree with dmerz.

Last edited:
Thanks, dmerz and Karen. I value your input. The reopening of this thread came just as I was reconsidering purchasing the GGS program, so perhaps I'll go for it. I've been playing with doing self-led weight training recently, and I agree, I really enjoy going at my own pace. Plus, for me, working without a DVD seems to allow me more mind-clearing (one of the main reasons I work out in the first place).
I also really enjoy the articles and tutorials on girlsgonestrong.com, and support what they stand for.
Thanks again,
Roz

I also follow GGS and enjoy their articles and tutorials. I say go for it. You'll never know until you try. :) I've tried to follow paper workouts in the past without much success but I'm finishing up month 2 of Get Glutes this week and I'm loving it. I have a decent home gym so that helps and I'm enjoying actually using the equipment I do have. LOL I hope it works for you.

I also follow GGS and enjoy their articles and tutorials. I say go for it. You'll never know until you try. :) I've tried to follow paper workouts in the past without much success but I'm finishing up month 2 of Get Glutes this week and I'm loving it. I have a decent home gym so that helps and I'm enjoying actually using the equipment I do have. LOL I hope it works for you.
Thanks, Rhodalyn. Glad to hear you also enjoy GGS.
Is Get Glutes also Brett Contreras? What sort of training is it?
Roz

I love working out with a non-DVD program. Go at your own pace, jam to your own music, sometimes pick your own exercise. Love these type of workouts. I worked out to Brett Contreras, "Great Glutes" like this. Great program. Definitely agree with dmerz.

Let me correct my mistake, my apologies. I did the "Gluteal Goddess" workout in Bret's "Strong Curves - A Woman's Guide To Building A Better Butt And Body." Bret (one t, oops) Contreras and Kellie Davis. Not sure who does Get Glutes. Could be Bret Contreras, he's known as the glute guy.

You have now heightened my curiosity. I'm definitely going to check out "Girls Gone Strong"

Yes, Get Glutes is by Bret Contreras and Kellie Davis. They are total body workouts with an emphasis on the glutes. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let us know what you think about GGS program if you buy! I loved some of the moves from today's e-blast thinking I may have to try those goblet walks.

Rhondalyn - How are you liking it? I have his book but I just haven't jumped in with both feet.
I also follow GGS and love their articles.

Hey, Nancy! Yes, I am liking it. I'm doing three total body strength workouts a week. It's great when I'm able to get some cardio in but if not, I'm okay with it. I don't have the book. I'm actually doing it online. You get three strength and three conditioning workouts a month with instructional videos. I am using Cathe for my WU and stretch though. I tend to cheat on these if I do on my own. [emoji14] I'm also using videos for most of my cardio when I do it.

http://www.getglutes.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let us know what you think about GGS program if you buy! I loved some of the moves from today's e-blast thinking I may have to try those goblet walks.
Will do!
Agreed about the goblet walks. I have been looking to GGS recently for inspiration for core work. Love Cathe's, but a lot of the more traditional moves really bother my tailbone and neck. GGS has me doing Turkish Get Ups now, love 'em.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.