Anyone became vegan for health?

Some good vegan protein sources (if you're worried about it...I think many people eat too much protein: look at the strongest animals in the animal kingdom: buffalo, hippos, elephants, they are all herbivores and get enough protein to build big bodies):

Tofu (use asceptically packaged tofu--Mori Nu--to blend for dips, soup bases, vegan "cheesecake"; use the water-packed tofu to cube and sauté for stir fries, to crumble for scrambled tofu, to press and marinate for baked tofu...using asceptically packaged tofu for these gives a very unpleasant texture, IMO, like cooked egg white, without enough solid texture).

Tempeh (an Indonesian soy product, made with cultured soy beans: steamed and grated, it makes a good substitute for chicken in mock "chicken or the egg"--reminds me of both--salad)

Seitan (the protein part of wheat. Almost all protein. Good sliced and stir-fried (I stir "fry" in mirin--a japanese cooking wine--or cooking sherry, with a bit of oil), chopped and used in chilis (once I made seitan chili, and someone was convinced I'd used meat and wouldn't believe me when I said I hadn't!) or stews.

Quinoa (a small grain that is a complete protein, good in pilafs, instead of couscous, or in tabouleh. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare)

Hemp (a complete protein nut. I snack on hemp bars).

"Writer" also mentioned a pea/rice protein from www.veganessentials.com . It not only has protein, but vitamins, minerals, digestive enzymes, and makes a nice quick meal replacement.
Beans and legumes are also good protein sources, especially when combined with grains (as are many traditional recipes from other cultures): Lentils (soup--yummy); black soy beans (in place of black beans in salads, soups, chilis); edamame (green soy beans; use them in salads, in succotash, as an ingredient in stir fries).

For more info, I highly suggest the book Becoming Vegan, which has lots of nutritional info and other sources. You can get it from www.veganessentials.com .

My personal preference for protein is beans; kidney beans, black beans, etc. They are a great addition to salads and I love rice & beans and bean burritos. I was also concerned about adequate protein until I ready Dr. Furhman's book "Eat to Live". This book discusses adequate protein, he even points out that broccoli has more protein than steak.

What really makes me feel better about my own source of protein is looking at how people in other countries eat. For example, on average the Chinese (who are near-vegetarians) consume about 30% more calories than Americans yet weigh about 25% less. I have also spent some time in Japan and I have seen the staples of their diet and meat plays a very small part, they are fish eaters, but their mainstays are rice and noodles (udon, soba, raman, etc.). A large source of their protein is from kale and bok choy.

>A large source of their
>protein is from kale and bok choy.
>
>
Oops! I mistyped (and it's too late to edit my message). Returning to a vegetarian diet also had me concerned with calcium. However, I have since learned that calcium (including kale & bok choy and other vegetables) are excellent sources of calcium and plant sources are more easily absorbed by the body.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.