anybody have herniated disc

lwseymour

Cathlete
I had an MRI 2 weeks ago and just got my results yesterday that I have a herniated disc. Anybody else here ever been diagnosed with a lumbar herniated disc? What kind of treatments did you have to help it? I am so hoping that I don't have to have surgery. I have tingling and numbness in my legs and feet and some annoying symptons but not bad pain (in fact very mild pain on occasion is all). Does it get worse or better with time? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa! No, I don't have any info for you but wanted you to know I am thinking and praying for you and hope you do not have to have surgery. Are you able to workout??? I'm glad the pain is not too bad but hope they can remedy it for you soon. Keep us posted.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi Lisa, my heart goes out to you. I had a bulged disc and I was in so much pain and had no feeling in my left leg or foot.I had to pick my foot up to get dressed and well I shouldn't of been driving, I was a little dangerous driving, but I had one mile to drive to work. After doing an MRI, the doctor said I could have surgery or try a cortizone shot.
I opted for the cortizone shot. I had 3 shots in a years time, and I finally got the feeling back. It took months for the Insurance to o.k. the shots. I still worked everyday but my leg was always giving out on me. I fell backwards down the stars because not thinkin about it I stepped up with my bad leg. To this day I am much better and erercise helps me the most.I know I have nerve damage in my leg every once in awhile my leg just gives out on me, it just kind of falls forward and does what it wants. I wish the best, and yes you can and will get better. I just didn't want anyone cutting on my back and removing a disc.

God Bless, take care of yourself.:)

Deb

Your symptoms sounded a lot like mine. I also had (have) a herniated lumbar disc but the symptoms weren't severe enough to warrant surgery. Most surgeons will only perform back surgery or injections if there is nerve involvement in the lower legs (like Deb's). Because I was already actively involved in an exercise program and my flexibility was good my orthopod told me to continue exercising at home, do lots of core strengthening and yoga as well, and if the pain didn't go away in a couple of months to see him. Well, it took about a full year but I can honestly say that now I'm almost pain free. Initially, I cut back on high impact aerobics and stepping and just focused on yoga and core work, but after a couple of months I was able to go back to my usual intensity. The key for me is to keep an eye on my form at all times. I make an effort to tighten my core when lifting and when doing aerobics. That wasn't so easy at first because as one gets tired one tends to let their form go, but it does become second nature with practice! If you want further info feel free to PM me!

Leslie

Hi, Lisa,

My disc started out as herniated, then ruptured. I tried the doctor's suggestions, but to no avail. By the time I had surgery, I was just about insane with pain and numbness.

I still kick myself about waiting to have surgery - I was scared to death. It was so easy! I woke up in the recovery room feeling 100 percent better - yes, there was some pain and soreness from being cut open, but nothing like what I had been putting up with before. Also, I had very good drugs!

I went home after 24 hours, and back to work in 2 weeks. Easiest surgery I've ever had and I've had plenty!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.