Anybody gets migraines???

Rose11

Cathlete
Hello everybody. As I'm posting this I am having the worst migraine. I was getting ready to workout but I've had this since 3 or 4 in the afternoon (that's for almost 6 hrs) and my meds are not working. I want to know who else gets migraines in here, how often, under what circumstances, and what do you do about them? Now I have to move my rotation up one day because my body is saying "Oh no honey not tonight I have a headache". Oh well...

I get migraines and they are usually hormonal. I am guaranteed one for two to three days, once a month. I have to take medication for them. The trick is to take it a soon as you feel that first twinge that it's a migraine or even the meds don't work. I know sugar and caffeine in particular set mine off. I have learned to accept when I have to take a day off from exercising and move on. I hope you feel better - migraines are awful.

Unless you experience them yourself, you cannot know the pain of a migraine. Mine are hormonal and usually occur just before, or during my period. Luckily, I only get 2 or 3 full-blown migraines per year. I also take prescription migraine meds, but I have to catch it early. They are the worst:(

I have not detected any pattern to my migraines, but I do get migraines with aura, so I can tell when they're coming on and can *sometimes* lessen the severity of it. I also get "fallout headaches", as I call them, the next day.

I soon as I feel the numbness in my hands and the visual disturbances, I take my maxalt tablet, a glass of water with a packet of "Emergen'C" in it, and three Excedrin Migraine pills. If I'm not at work, I lie (lay?)down.

If I get to the slurred speech stage and the numbness in my face, I'm a gonner and it's too late - the train has pulled out of the station!

Now I have to say I am not recommending you do what I do to help your headaches. I only meant it as a gauge as to how severe yours are.

I haven't had a migraine for at least three months. Fortunately mine are rare. They are certainly the worst. The worst "worst" is getting the aura while I'm teaching. It's hard to pay attention to your students when your vision goes awry and you can't talk straight!

Em, my son gets the same type migraines as you do. He is living away from home for the first time going to college. He takes preventative meds (amytriptyline) everyday, which has reduced the occurrence to about 3-4 times a year. He called me yesterday morning with a duzzie...slurred speech, etc. And...he's allergic to all the Triptiphans (sp) such as maxalt and imetrix. We haven't found anything to help much. If he takes some advil and get to sleep at first symptoms (he gets them mostly on awaking in the a.m.)It's not as bad. But,if he can't catch it early, like waking up with a full blown one, he's toast for around 6 hours. Then he barfs, sleeps a long time and is over it. I have so much empathy for migraine sufferers as I have witnessed his pain so many times. Plus the stigma that mostly females suffer from migraines. I get them and have only had 2 in my lifetime with the severe symptoms.
Sorry to be so long. I say the best thing is to see a neurologist that specializes in mirgraines. Seems like everytime we find one he likes, they move on. Good luck.

Oh, my sons seems to be triggered by change in sleep patterns. He's a drummer in a band that is under a production contract right now, so that and going to college is challenging the amount of time he sleeps (plus, I'm willing to bet there's partying in there too;-) )
Lack of sleep and stress. Also, he has only tried Asian food 2 x's and both times got a huge one. Must be the MSG

I get migraines, luckily rarely. But I get an aura--zigzag patterns, double vision--and if I take a couple of Advil right then and there and get to a dark room, it keeps it to a minimum. I'm set off by glare--typing on a comp in a dark room or watching tv in a dark room, or just glare from my computer or overhead lights--so I try to be careful about the lighting situation in those circumstances if I can. Hormones set me off at times, too. I always have a headache for two or three days afterwards--it feels like the inside of my brain is sore.

My neurologist recommended a combination of a good-quality multivitamin, plus B100 complex, Vitamin E and magneseum. She said many of her patients have great results with this. (I have!)

This IS awful. Tonight is going to be a long night. I get migraines about 2-3 times a month (minimum once a month). At least I'm not alone with the odd symptoms. My right side is usually the one that hurts and I get really blurry vision on my right eye. Slurred speech is another one of my symptoms. Medication rarely works, but when it does it gets rid of the pain, but not the palpitations on my right side, my blurry vision, or my slurry speech. What worries me the most or rather what I would like to do about my migraines is to control them just so I still keep doing what I do daily. Migraines affect my productivity. They paralize me. I know there's not a cure yet, but I would like to get used to the symptoms. Maybe train my mind and my body in some sort of way so I can continue to do what I do without letting them affect my daily life. Does this happen to you? Do you get paralized and stuck when you get migraines? There has got to be a way to deal with this. Thank you for the replies. Take care everybody.

I have read supplements can be helpful. My DH suffers from migraines and clusters so when I read about magnesium, feverfew, COQ10, and some other things that I can't remeber... I saved the info. I found it in a health magazine from the health food store. My doctor swears by Feverfew and he is VERY skeptical about non-medical remedies. Anyway, if anyone wants the list of vitamins and stuff with dosages feel free to pm or email me. I'd post it, but I don't think I can credit the author.

So sorry you have this. In my case it apparently was food.

I used to have very bad migraines from the age of 12 till about 22yo. I had the kind with the aura's. And I could feel them coming on cause I would get this fuzzy feeling in my head. I would take a large dose of painkillers and go to bed.

At age 22 I finally saw a neurologist. He put me on a diet with lots of foodgroups I wasn't supposed to eat. It was a very hard diet and I lost quite a bit of weight (and I was only 105 pounds at the time). After six months I was allowed to add in one food group at a time and found what triggered the migraines: chocolate and cheese. Now I absolutely love those two so over the years I have been experimenting with the kinds and amounts I can eat. I haven't had a migraine sinces but I do get a bad headache occasionnally (once/twice a year).

Dutchie

Wondering if youhave ever seen a chiropractor. I was a non beleiver till a couple of years ago when I really twisted my back at work.Happened I also ended up with a headache the same day.It went away when he manipulated my neck.However if you try this you need to find someone reputable.
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel.

I get migraines as well. Fortunately for me not that often. They used to be much worse and I got sick of going to doctors and through tests. I usually can tell when I see little floaty dots that I am in trouble and take Imitrex. I don't know everything that causes them, but I did find that those brach cinnamon star candies do. I kept eating them for several days in a row and right after I would get the headache. My daughter has terrible ones. She went to a neuroligist and finally got relief. He took her off of birth control and said Exedrin is terrible stuff. I think I have been a major contributer to the Excedrin company:) I know I have woke up with one before and could not imagine jumping around on my bench without heaving. I hope you find relief from these.
Diane Sue

Shobsie, my son gets migraines, too. He is only 13 and has been getting them since he is about 7. He also has a heart condition which required balloon dilatation when he was 7 - it causes his bp to go up, but the cardio swearst he migraines are not related.

Anyway, his seem triggered by a combination of food triggers (sodium particularly) and excess activity (yes, really, isn't that awful?). He always wakes up about an hour or two into the night and cries for about three hours before throwing up and passing out, and then he is fine.

It is an awful experience for all of us. :(

Marie

I've had migraines since I was 6 years old, only I did not know they were migraines at that age. However, I am lucky that I only get about one or two a year, but I'm not sure what exactly triggers them. I can always tell when my migraine is coming on when my hands start going numb. I know that it will spread to my face and then my tongue will feel very thick and my speech and vision blurs. I can think coherently at that time but I can not talk and say what I am thinking. Somehow the path stops at the thought process I guess. The only thing I can do is lay down and try to fall asleep before it hits. After I awaken it is gone completely but I do have some residual head tenderness afterwards.

The worst part is now that I am pregnant my migraine symptoms keep coming on. Sometimes it is triggered by exercise and other times by I think low blood sugar or maybe hormones. Normally after I try to relax and eat something the symptoms will subside, but afterwards my head will still ache and be "tender". This past Friday at work I had an episode and when my boss asked me if I was okay I could not explain to him the symptoms that I am having. He thinks that it is nothing, but only because he is the type of guy who likes the attention all for himself and doesn't want anyone outdoing him.

If someone has never had a migraine before I don't think they could ever realize how much pain is involved. I think some people say they are having a migraine but instead are just having a bad headache. I sympathesize with those who have to deal with migraines on a continuous basis. I'm very thankful mine are rare. My dad would have migraines for 2-3 days straight. He would stay in his dark bedroom until it finally went away.

Oh migraines are awful!! I've had them my whole life and was so thankful at 28 years old (several years ago) to finally get be diagnosed and get some medicine for them. Now I get them monthly and they last for 2-3 days. Usually I get them before my period and after.

Not eating breakfast is a triger for me. I usually get 2-3 full blown ones a year - where they are so bad I stay home from work.

Definately taking meds (I take Zomig) at the first sign is really important. Sometimes I don't take enough medicine and the migraine keeps coming back. Lovely...

I know having them can put a damper on working out. But don't let it stress you too much, you'll be back on track soon.

I may not get sick alot with colds and flu, but I do have my share of headaches and migraines.

Ellie

I get migraines all the time. I have had one for a week now. I have gone thru about 10 Immitrex. It is still lingering this morning. I broke my neck when I was 17, and if I get stressed, and have tight shoulders, it kinks up my neck and I am miserable. I have tried the chiropractor, but I am afraid of them. They whip my neck around, and it hurts. It's terrible. yesterday I had the aura vision.
Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.