Anybody else feel more sore with endurance v. strength?

beanqueen

Cathlete
hi,

i've been doing the bfl program for 2 weeks now, and find that although i was a little sore in the beginning with the pyramid style workouts..i'm not as sore as when i do workouts like power hour (endurance type workouts). i'm lifting as heavy as i can , while still keeping good form and challenging myself.. on my pub/plb workouts. but..the endurance ones seem to get me more sore. i know the goal is to be sore (tearing muscle) and since i'm not as sore with the pyramids series......i'm wondering if i should throw in an endurance workout somewhere in the midst of my bfl type rotation?

anybody else experience more soreness with endurance type workouts vs. strength building?

thanks so much!

For some reason, I always feel the soreness more with Power Hour than I do with either Pure Strength or Slow & Heavy.

I'm not sure why this is. I use fairly heavy weights in all of them, so it isn't a difference in weight.

Maybe someone else can clue us in as to why this happens!

I am the same way, I always feel more sore after an endurance workout. Also right after an endurance workout my muscles feel so much more fatigued than after a strength workout where I am lifting my heaviest.

I've never understood why this happened... educated crowd??

Tina

Me too!!! I am way more sore using lighter weights.

Recently, I've pulled out my old Cindy Crawford tapes and my legs and shoulders and chest are on fire....even after doing Cathe strength tapes for a while and not being sore, these CC workouts made me sore. Especially in the inner thighs, hamstrings, glutes...even Abs. My obliques were really sore. It hurt to laugh.

I wonder why this is.

I only get sore at the beginning of something new. For example, at the start of summer I did a S&H rotation. The first week, my legs were killing me! But after that, no matter how hard I push, I don't get sore. A few weeks ago I switched to a circuit/endurance rotation and the same thing happened, sore in the beginning and then nothing. I know I am working hard because the muscles feel fatigued during the work out, but after the intial bout of soreness I don't feel anything until I change my rotation. I think everyone's body is different in how it deals with latic acid build up, etc. that causes soreness. I have heard that endurance does cause more lactic acid in the muscles and there is a tendency to be more sore from it. Plus, the rests are usually longer in a strength work out, which helps get rid of some of the lactic acid. I wish I could remember where I saw this, so I could direct you to a more in depth and informed source, but it was a long time ago that I read it. The bottom line is that what matters is how hard you are working and if you are fatiguing your muscles and soreness is not the best indicator of that.

Lactic acid is the burn felt in the muscle as fatigue is achieved. It is unrelated to soreness and neutralized pretty quickly once the exercise or set is complete.

The soreness we typically feel a day or two afterward actually stems from micro-tears in the muscle fibers, which repair and rebuild even stronger during the rest phase following a strenuous workout (not to be confused with recovery rest period directly after a set).

Because endurance work tends to have more volume, we are placing overload on the muscle even with our lighter weights. The overload is what typically creates the soreness experienced. However, soreness should not be an indicator of how hard you have trained. Some people experience very little in the way of soreness even though they have worked very, very hard.

-Roe

thank you, roe..that was very informative and helpful! :)

you know the 'micro-tears' you referred to...can those only be achieved via heavy/strength workouts? or can it also be achieved by overloading the muscle with moderate weights in an endurance type workout?

thank you so much! :)

Hi, I feel like im getting a better workout with endurance type. Sometimes like some of the other say, when I change from endurance to strength I do get sore the next day vise versa. I alway thought that the PUB was more towards an endurance workout because you really don't rest. I would assume that the PUB Upper premix is more strength, correct me if Im wrong.

I find PUB in it's entirety to be a blend of both strength and endurance. To build size, reps of 6-8 or 8-10 with heavier weight is usually recommended, and endurance typically falls within the 12-15 or 15-20 rep scheme, still using weights that challenge the muscle within that range. I don't have my textbooks on hand today to post the exact chart.

One thing I do know is that 75-80 percent of our strength gains come from the neurological system being able to recruit more motor units to contract within the muscle fibers per workout, and only 20-25% percent actually comes from getting larger muscles. Genetics is what really plays a key role in how defined a person will become. So, one can get stronger without getting bigger.

The lack of rest in PUB is a training format known as High Intensity Strength Training which falls into the strength category in a true personal training fashion. A true pyramid style workout allows for complete failure with every set as you pyrmaid both up and down, and requires a spotter from a personal trainer. It is much more intense than in your living room because the trainer really pushes the client hard with the weight load.

And yes, the micro-tears in the muscle will occur in any type of workout where overload has been place on the muscle.

-Roe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.