Any other military wives out there?

It's amazing how the little things amaze me about the support of our country. We live about 30 minutes from McGuire AFB/Ft. Dix (they are attached).

DH & I are in the motorcycle market & went "shopping" last night. We were looking for a helmet for me & went into the accessories department of the shop. There was a huge sign thanking the troops & offering a 20% discount on all items for those serving in the armed forces as appreciation for their service. I thought how cool is that. Ok, this guy is still going to make money on whatever sales he makes & anyone shopping in Mt. Holly, NJ obviously isn't deployed. But hell, he could just do & say nothing. It's that kind of little stuff that will make me go back there (WAY out of my way) to buy my helmet when the time comes. Because we're retired, we won't get that discount but I will support any business that will support out men & women of the armed forces in whatever way they can.

Hi,

I am an Air Force wife. It will be 20 yrs for my husband in August. We are currently stationed in Italy. I have been working out to exercise videos since 1985! I found Cathe in 1994 when we were stationed at Memmingen, Germany.

My husband is not deployed, but there are many troops here that are. Some just came back in Dec. and then had to pack up and go back over there. For those of you w/ your DH deployed, hang in there. Our prayers are w/ you. Keep busy and keep up the good work w/ your workouts.

Lollie

web site to show support to military deployed

Today on a speach I heard the web site of how we civilians can show our support for the military. I was driving and didnt have a pen does anyone know what it is... its was www.us (forget the rest) :(

Me again Kathy!

When you click on the icons on this site, do they show up AFTER your link for your signature? If so, just copy that icon link where you want it in your post. For some reason, even though I put my cursor in a certain place for the icon, the link shows up AFTER my "DANCE" logo. I just delete it. Does this make sense to you? Take a look at my signature and you'll see what I mean if I don't delete it.:+ Ha! I'm not sure I understand what I just wrote!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!:+

Support Options for the Troops (Sorry its so long)

Hi! My whole family is military, me my husband, my sister, my dad (before he died) and my soon-to be step-father. I heard a young troop (about 19 years-old) on AFN (Armed Forces Network) this morning say something very profound... "No one wants peace more than a US soldier. I am willing to lay down my life to give an Iraqi soldier the chance for freedom. He won't do the same for me."

Here are some thoughts for supporting the troops.....

Give Blood! Support the Red Cross (Armed Forces Emergency Services and International Response Fund)

Another alternative is to support members of the military through a unique program called Military Connect. This is an on-going program that offers Americans the opportunity to purchase prepaid calling cards for overseas servicemen and women in $15, $25 or $50 increments. The card keeps service-people and their family and friends together by providing an attached voice mailbox where family and friends can leave voice messages for their loved ones by using a toll-free number. The serviceperson can then retrieve voice messages via phone or email. Cards can be purchased in one of two ways: Online at http://www.militaryconnect.org or by calling 1-888-682-7020. Ten percent of the proceeds from calling card purchases support Red Cross programs and services.

Community members wishing to send e-mail messages to service men and women can do so at http://anyservicemember.navy.mil. Dear Abby, the U.S. Department of Defense, and the U.S. Department of the Navy's LifeLines2000 Services Network in association with SPAWAR SCC (National Capital Region) are providing this private and secure online resource that will allow you to send a Sailor, Marine, Soldier, Airman, or Coast Guardsman a message of support.

To donate a calling card to help service members keep in touch with their families: http://www.operationuplink.org.

To donate to "Operation USO Care Package": www.usometrodc.org/care.html. A $25 tax-deductible donation covers a care package. (You can also donate toward a care package by calling 800-876-7469 anytime or by sending a check payable to the USO to USO World Headquarters, P.O. Box 70264, Washington, D.C. 20024).

To make a donation to one of the military relief societies:
Army Emergency Relief, www.aerhq.org;

Navy/Marine Relief Society, www.nmcrs.org;

Air Force Aid Society, www.afas.org.

Send a thank-you note to the troops: The Pentagon says surface mail floods the delivery system, and security concerns over what could be in envelopes led to the end of the Any Serviceman letter campaign of the past. Instead, send e-mail to service men and women through the official Department of Defense Web site, www.defendamerica.mil.

A few more support ideas....

Other ways by which you can show your support. Service members do value and appreciate such expressions of support:
Visit Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals and nursing homes. Volunteer your services to honor veterans who served in past conflicts. The Department of Veterans Affairs web site can be found at http://www.va.gov

Support the American Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency Services at http://www.redcross.org/services/afes/
Support families whose loved ones are being treated at military and VA hospitals through a donation to the Fisher House at http://www.fisherhouse.org
Reach out to military families in your community, especially those with a loved one deployed

U.S. personnel deployed to the Arabian Gulf region and other overseas locations can now receive personal messages from family members, friends, neighbors, colleagues and supporters via the pages of Stars and Stripes newspaper as well. "Messages of Support," a daily section that debuted March 17, gives family and friends of deployed service members a chance to pass their greetings, words of encouragement and announcements free of charge. "Messages of Support" can be e-mailed to Stars and Stripes 24 hours a day at [email protected], are limited to 50 words or less and will be printed on a first-come, first-run basis.

RE: A few more support ideas....

It is my understanding that the DOD suspended the Dear Abby aka send email/mail to "any service memeber" due to security reasons after 9/11. Perhaps you can still send emails, but I'd check into that before you do anything. But with packages, while most people have good intentions, those without good intentions can send dangerous materials to service members. Thank you.

RE: A few more support ideas....

Absolutely - in fact the research I did limited everything to email ONLY unless you actually KNOW the airman, soldier, sailor, marine, or coast guard service member (in that case you should have information from them on how to reach them and what to send).

The Dear Abby program, to my understanding, is now exclusively email based. In addition to security concerns it overtaxes the military postal/supply system.

I'd be curious to know what, if anything, catheites actually do...

Katie

Hi Naveywifey and all other military wives, husbands, and families. I so much agree with what the others have said......My prayers and good thoughts go out to all the troops and their families. Stay strong, be safe, and God Bless You All.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.