Any opinion on Jillian Michaels 30 day shred?

js70

Cathlete
I was wondering about the 30 day shred or her other workouts. Is it challenging or effective? Did anyone try it and like/dislike it?
Thanks,
jera

I tried it, but I had it from netflix, so didn't have it around long enough to do it much, but I just didn't like it much. After doing Cathe, it just wasn't challenging enough for me, and that was with me doing 2 & 3 back to back. I know a lot of people really like it -- partly I just didn't care for the format of it.....

-Beth

I LOVE 30 Day Shred!

I do 2 levels back to back in order to make it about a 50 minute workout.

It's very challenging, very effective and has seriously tightened up my core/abs area.

I also love Jillian's NMTZ and BFBM!

I enjoyed 30 Day Shred as a change of pace. I did not find her strength work particularly challenging. The second time I did this workout I used it more as a cardio and abs workout. I did the cardio sections twice. I enjoyed her Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism DVD more.

I enjoyed 30 Day Shred as a change of pace. I did not find her strength work particularly challenging. The second time I did this workout I used it more as a cardio and abs workout. I did the cardio sections twice. I enjoyed her Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism DVD more.

Jillian's workouts (30DS, NMTZ & BFBM) are absolutely NOT strength oriented. If you'll use them for endurance, cardio and core benefits, you'll find they work amazingly well.

I love Jillian, but her workouts aren't intense enough for me. I modify everything to make them more intense. They do break up the schedule, though and are a nice change of pace sometimes.

Yeah, totally not strength focused but I find Shred to be a nice change from a P90x rotation or the like. I really like Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism.

Sparrow

The workouts themselves are pretty good, and it's a great vid to bring while traveling, but I can't stand Jillian so I never do it. I never watched BL so I don't know much about her, but I just don't click with her.

I love Jillian, but her workouts aren't intense enough for me. I modify everything to make them more intense. They do break up the schedule, though and are a nice change of pace sometimes.

I am curious which ones you modify, and exactly how you are modifying them. I think they are good how they are, for what they are intended. I think Jillian uses 3 lb dumbbells, and I use 5 lb dumbbells, but other than that it's the moves themselves and the combinations that work so well.

The best part of all of them, in my opinion, are all of her combinations and variations of plank moves.

I haven't used 30 day shred. I did do her 30 day program from her book "Making the Cut"...I found it to be challenging; there's a different circuit workout for each day. The exercises change about every week or so. I found it challenging--I think it boosted my fitness level. I think it's actually most effective if that is your goal, because if your goal is fat loss, you'll likely need additional cardio (and the workout itself kind of wipes you out) and you can't use heavy enough weights for it to really be for strength or muscle gain.

I've used her kickboxing video also, it's up on Netflix Instant, it's good for being short..it's only about 25 mins and it's pretty challenging. It's alot more simple than a Cathe video; like basic moves..kicking, punching, and jumping jacks.

I checked it out from the library and the eeejit person that I am, did all 3 Levels. It is high rep/low weight workout. She does several sets of pushups and planks. 2 minutes of cardio which are high impact and one minute of abs. Intense cardio for 2 minutes takes my breath away, that is for sure. Overall it is not a bad workout. Good for a change a pace and a quick workout.

I'd have to look at the DVD again, but depending on the day, I'll add weight (a lot--10 lbs at least) and add in some extra intensity for cardio.

I am curious which ones you modify, and exactly how you are modifying them. I think they are good how they are, for what they are intended. I think Jillian uses 3 lb dumbbells, and I use 5 lb dumbbells, but other than that it's the moves themselves and the combinations that work so well.

The best part of all of them, in my opinion, are all of her combinations and variations of plank moves.

I love 30 Day Shred, Jillian will have your heart pumping in that workout. I also do two of the levels back to back...the cardio in it takes my breath away,i mean iam really screaming for air. She's intense. I will also modify and use 5lb dumbells which are more than enough for me. I use it as a circuit workout.

Jillian has an take no crap attitude and i admire her for that..she will push until you get it done.(or turn the dvd off:p;))

I tried to like the 30 day shred, BUT...Jillian's voice and mannerisms drive me nuts and the fact that you can't fast forward through that boring introduction is annoying. I'm definitely going to sell, or give away this dust collector.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.