Any great page turners you can suggest?

janiejoey

Cathlete
This is the time for me to do a little reading. Can't get out much because of the weather and my house is, well, kind a clean.

Want to curl up in a blanket, near a fire, (or as in my case an electric blanket) with a cup of Joe, and read a book you just can't put down. Especially after a great workout and shower.

Any suggestions?

Janie

My sister also highly recommends it. I just now ordered it from Amazon for only 8.??

If it is that good, I'm sure I'll be done with it in no time. Any more suggestions out there?

It's appreciated,

Janie

Well - I haven't read The Shack - but I am game.
Have you checked out Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath or Heller's Catch-22?
I could read these books over and over.
Keith

I have never been much of a fiction reader but I finally read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and simple could not put it down. It is an amazing book and was I saddened when it ended. I have every intention now of reading anything and everything Betty Smith has ever written.

I am currhttp://www.thecathenation.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1794345ently reading Colum McCann's "This Side of Brightness" To quote Library Journal Called "New York's most visible up-and-coming Irish writer" by the New York Times, McCann skillfully evokes early 20th-century New York, where Irish mixed with African Americans and Italians to dig the tunnel under the East River. I met the author at the New York Library Association Conference and I was fascinated. It didn't hurt that he was quite the cutie with an Irish brogue who has nothing for respect for librarians :D

I also plan to start reading "War is Beautiful" which is a memoir written by a young man who was an ambulance driver in the Spanish Civil War. The reviews are good and I am looking forward to it.

The Appeal by John Grisham

While it's not brand new, I found it enjoyable and "couldn't put it down."

I have heard others say (in real life) that The Shack is great, but I had forgotten about it. I'm glad it was brought up again here in this forum. :D I have added it to my must-read list, as well as other books that have been suggested.

OH! Beavs....A Tree Grows in Brooklyn IS good!!! Excellent suggestion.

I'm currently reading Philippa Gregory's The Queen's Fool and LOVE IT!

Gayle

You're going to say "Oh please..." when I give you mine but here it is:

Fatal Voyage by Dan Kurzman. I couldn't STAND to put it down. My mother, who never read books read it and loved it. She loaned it to her brother and he couldn't shut up about it. A review from Amazon.com:

"Quint couldn’t have told it better...

The best scene in the movie "Jaws" is when captain Quint, played by Robert Shaw, recounts the horrors of having been a survivor of the USS Indianapolis disaster. In Dan Kurzman, this event is given a storytelling treatment worthy of the man who would soon become shark bait himself. The Indianapolis story is a horror not only because of what the survivors of the sinking endured (dehydration, delirium and, of course, shark attacks), but because of the bureaucratic bungling that caused them to be left in the water for many days beyond when the sinking was first reported. Granted the war was in its last stages and important things were happening (the Indianapolis was returning from having delivered the Atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima) but the neglect the ship's survivors received was inexcusable. Kurzman is an excellent journalist and writer. This book and "Left to Die" his account of the sinking of the USS Juneau, are first rate accounts of nautical disaster."

I've read this book three times and still it grabs me and breaks my heart. It's true, real-life, first rate suspense.

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series

I've had them for years and just started rereading them once again. Excellent!

Here is an amazon link detailing the 1st book:

http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Diana-Gabaldon/dp/0440212561

I'm sure you can find it at your local library.

picture.php

The Shack - no thanks, I KNOW poignant,brilliant and moving.....no thanks!
All those books are really worthwhile...but..........at this stage of my life, at this time of year........anything by Sophie Kinsella works for me!!!! Can you Keep a Secret? The Undomestic Goddess, The Shopaholic Series.....yup....gotta laugh....

Thrillers/Mysteries
The Alphabet Series - Sue Grafton
Harry Bosch Series - Michael Connelly
Jack Reacher Series - Lee Child

The Quiet Game, Blood Memory and/or Dead Sleep - Greg Illes

General Fiction
Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
The Center of Everything - Laura Moriarity
Stones from the River - Ursula Hegi
Oh My Stars - Lorna Landvik

I'm not usually a fan of newer fiction; most of it seems to be written specifically to be read for book clubs these days, but I really enjoyed these.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

And I just started The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I second the Outlander series!! It's soo good - and the best thing is that the books are thick and meaty, so when you read one, you can settle down for a long while! I hate stories that are over too quickly!

I also enjoy Phillipa Gregory and her King Henry VIII series. I've read them all.

If you haven't read the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, I would suggest that... however, they are total brain candy... very light, but completely engrossing and enjoyable.

I second the posters that mentioned Phillipa Gregory books.. they are a great read as well.

I haven't read anything too fabulous in the last month or so, so I'm taking notes on all of the suggestions that have been posted as well!!! Thank You! :)

Take care, Lynn M.

Have you read the Southern vampire series by Charlaine Harris? Also total brain candy, but quick, light reads that are kind of fun. The first one is called Dead until Dark.

anne

I can't wait to begin these books!

I'm on my Third book of Stephenie Meyer (twilight series).

Read a few books that were mentioned, but the ones I haven't read will be purchasing through Amazon.

Thank you so much for sharing, and for the great variety of books to look forward to.

Janie

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.