Any formerly overweight Cathe-ites??

crystal

I could really use some hope from someone who has overcome being really overweight and is now fit and doing advanced videos.

At times I get so discouraged/disgusted! Today is really one of those times. I know I'm not unique and like many, I want to lose weight (and have ALOT to lose). I won't go into the whole sad story of how I got to this point.

I've been "coming back" to exercise since January of this year and love videos including Cathe's, but right now I'm only doing the ones in my fitness level (so many of my videos including most Cathe's are out for now) and progress is sooo sloooww.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hang in there, Crystal

Would you consider 50 pounds really overweight? I thought it was when I decided to shed it. Of course, I'd been losing the same weight over and over again all my life (you know--first 20, then 30, then 40, etc.) so I had faced the same discouragement/disgust time after time.

Give yourself credit for making good health and fitness a priority. Doing something is way, way ahead of doing nothing.

I did not own (or know about) many videos while I was losing weight. I did Kathy Smith's March to Fitness, Susan Powter's Lean, Strong and Healthy, Cosmopolitan Tonetics, and some other low impact workouts I found at discount stores. Compared to the tapes I have now, they were kind of boring. And I hadn't learned about the importance of weight training for building up a higher percentage of calorie-burning muscle. But I just kept doing them day in and day out.

I assume that you are on a sensible nutrition program. (No starvation!) Also, I hope you've checked with your physician to determine if there are any other obstacles to effective weight loss, such as thyroid deficiency. As long as you are being consistent, patience will pay off.

It took me a year to lose those 50 pounds. But I've kept them off for four years--and more importantly, I've changed my eating and exercise habits for good. I'm never going to do that yo-yo thing again! Sometimes changes occur in increments, not necessarily week by week. But they do happen. Come back to the forum every time you need a pep talk! You have some terrific Cathe tapes in your future! And a healthier you.

Best wishes! Barbara

Thank you so much!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 50 lbs is an enormous accomplishment and around what I want (and need)to lose. What encourages me the most about your experience Barbara, is that you have kept it off for so long! Especially when the yo yo statistics are so frightening.

I have had a problem with consistancy that I must overcome. Thank you for sharing and for reminding me that my dream of losing this weight CAN be a reality.

10 year struggle

Oh man, do I know that feeling of frustration! I'm 30 now and since I was about 19 or 20 I have been struggling with my weight and health like crazy. A year ago, I was wearing a size 12 to 14, but I was usually too horrified by the sight of the numbers on the clothing tags to buy anything. Today I am a size 6 but as weird as it may sound that isn't my biggest or best accomplishment.

I have had chronic asthma, both exercise-induced and in general, since I was a teenager and it seemed like every time I'd start to make even a tiny bit of progress, I'd have a flare-up or I'd catch a cold or injure something...it never failed. I'd only workout at home because there was no way I could join a health club or would even think of running or walking outside. I was always hot, partially from the weight but partially because I'd always try to cover myself in layers of oversized clothing, as if then no one could tell I was big. Being shortish, about 5'4", it's just hard to hide being overweight. And it showed in my face. I was moody and miserable in general.

After some incredible changes in my life, thanks mainly to finding a great chiroprcator who practices holistic medicine, I find myself free of the extra weight now and things like my asthma are greatly improved. In the past, I've had 3 regularly used inhalers (albuterol, sodium and steroid), took 1000mgs per day of theopholin and often used Prednisone (steroids) to control my breathing. Today I only have the albuterol inhaler for attacks. I was hoping to rid myself completely of the asthma, which always seems to keep me a step behind other people my age and fitness level. I think I'll always have it to some degree, but there are better and worse days even now. What I'm still learning to do is to listen to my body and be happy with whatever I can do. Some days that means I can do Circuit Max with tons of energy and breathe well and feel great at the end. Sometimes that means just doing some weight lifting for my arms, being wheezy and feeling good I did anything at all. Sometimes that means I don't work out, but maybe while I watch TV I'll stretch a little. The ego still pokes at me when I can't finish a workout I normally do or when walking up the hill to my car leaves me breathing like I went jogging, but I'm learning to deal with it and feel good about what I do.

But I remember so well where I was both physically and emotionally a year ago, and that was just frustrated, unhealthy and very unhappy with myself. It's a really difficult place to be and I lived there for so long I still feel a little of my old insecurities now and then. I think it helped me to look at the bigger picture in my life instead of just the exercise alone. I was focusing on health and physically feeling better and I don't even own a scale. I just tracked physical progress by my clothes and how they fit and feel. Now I'm studying to be a trainer myself and have found I really have a passion for sports nutrition. My whole life has improved a hundred fold since a year ago. You can make big and little changes but they all take time, patience and a lot of love for yourself. If you're exercising and eating healthy foods for you and you only, and you like who you are, it makes all the difference in the world.

I've lost 137 pounds (so far)

When I first started working out on 2/1/98, I could barely walk for 5 minutes on the treadmill. Now I do all advanced videos. It can be done!
happy.gif
Never give up.

IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-00 AT 05:13PM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Crystal,
The main thing is not to beat yourself up for minor setbacks you just have to keep on truckin and eventually you will see results.

I have been overweight since I can remember and Jan. 1998 I too felt the same way you're feeling now but I like you decided to start by exercising and then gradually making healthier life cahnges and 9 mos. later all 85 pounds came right off I went from a unfit(not able to finish a Richard Simmons video)unhealthy discouraged size 16 tight 18 actual(hehe)to a wonderful,fit,healthy size 8 ACTUAL AND HAVE KEPT IT OFF EVER SINCE. It may sound very conceited but I am very proud of my accomplishments and might I add I can pop in a Cathe tape and do it from start to finish no modifications and no rest periods.
(HOW'S THAT FOR ENCOURAGEMENT CONSIDERING JUST THINKING ABOUT EXERCISING MADE ME BREAK A SWEAT)
You can do it,I believe you can and you should beleive it too.

TTFN,
Marisol

P.S Cathe has revolutionized my life she definately along with all the other women on this forum keeps me motivated and encouraged.
THANK YOU LADIES!!!!

This is such an inspiration thread!

I have to admire all of you who have posted such wonderful stories. The strength y'all have shown is just wonderful! You have really helped me out and I'm sure a lot of others today. I've had a really bad day today eating wise and now I don't feel soooo bad.

Thanks
Alli
happy.gif

Hi Crystal

Hi Crystal,
I know how it feels to get discouraged when trying to lose weight. I had lost around 25 lbs about 3 1/2 years ago. Unfortunately, I am slowly starting to gain it back. But still, I have kept most of it off for over 3 years. I did not join Weight Watchers at that time (didn't want to spend the money), but I kinda followed their old fat & fiber plan just on my own. It worked pretty good for me. It works slowly, however, that is the only way to lose weight (in my opinion).
I'm sure you are aware that the slower you lose weight, the longer it will usually stay off.
My primary exercise back then was walking outdoors and on the treadmill. Walking is still one of my favorite workouts. Of course, Cathe's step workouts are my favorites. But back then, one of her workouts might have discouraged me, simply because her workouts are very tough and sometimes when you're starting out, you definitely don't need discouragement. I would highly recommend fast walking combined with Cathe's strength workouts.
Back then, I failed to believe that strength training HELPED you to lose weight, so I left that part out (afraid I would gain weight with lifting weights). This probably led to my weightloss being so slow. So DEFINITELY, start lifting light or moderate weights. I love Cathe's Pure Strength series.

I have been having many bad days lately also, so I know how it feels to be discouraged. All of my friends are naturally thin (wouldn't exercise if their life depended on it). I work hard trying to fit in exercise with full time job plus a child. It makes me very jealous of people who are naturally thin and don't even work for it.
My goal is to be a size 8 or 10 someday. I am 5'2 and wear a 12 now. Believe it or not, I work so hard just to be a size 12. I feel wonderful. Have more energy (now at 34) than I did in my 20's. I saw something on television the other day about "fit fat" people. Maybe I'm one of those. If so, that's allright with me. For the first time in my life, I like myself whether I'm chubby or not. I will always have bad days (like today) when I find myself so jealous of my friends that don't have to work for it. But then I have good days too, when I would be willing to race anybody in a 5K!!! This chubby girl can actually move quite fast!! Oh well, I vented and now I feel better. Hope you feel better soon too!! Come here anytime for encouragement or just to vent!
Lisa

Oh MY GOD

The word COURAGE is the very center of the word encouragement and that is exactly what you Lex411, Marisol, pamela and lisa have displayed in an awe inspiring way.

There is no way thank you could be enough to express my gratitude for you all sharing your trials and successes with me! I really feel like you UNDERSTAND. I often hate my life as a size 16 tight 18 reality
happy.gif
and feel there is no hope. But when I hear about the real progress from real people... I believe again.

Now I will drop the self-pity and get back to work.

Thank You!

Work it, girl! :)

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-00 AT 03:39PM (EST)</font></center>

If you ever need more inspiration, there's a great mailing list called VFers-in-WW for vidiots who are also trying to lose weight (whether it be Weight Watchers or whatever). You can subscribe by going to www.egroups.com. I believe the direct web address is www.egroups.com/group/vfers-in-ww. Hope to "see" you there!

Battle of the bulge

Hey Crystal, I am new to this site and just saw your post. It is easy to get so down on yourself it incapacitates you. I gained 70 lbs from 1990-1994 (for no good reason,it just snuck on a few pounds at a time), lost 80 in 1997 and kept it off until this year when again, a few pounds at a time I have gained 20 of it back. I pulled out my winter clothes and tried a few on and realized I have work to do. There are days when I just stand in my closet and cry when half my favorite clothes just don't fit. Then I call a friend or listen to my favorite motivation song (this month it's that stupid "I get knocked down, but I get up again")and stare at myself in the mirror and say "you can do it, its ok,this isn't forever, it can be fixed" over and over until I believe it. Through it all, I have never stopped working out. Even if all I do is go for an "easy" tape, or do yoga, or take a 20 minute walk. I always tell myself, "Just do a few minutes. You can always stop." Somehow, this self-deception works because I always end up doing my whole workout! Most important of all, set small, reasonable goals and REWARD yourself. Set a five-pound weight loss, not 50. Or set a one-clothes size reduction, not four or five. Make a pact with yourself to work out at least 3 days a week, then go to 4. Pick a tape you really want to work up to that is reasonable. Find tapes that are just a little more challenging than your current level and that you really enjoy doing. Keep reminding yourself that you CAN do this. I promise, it is very hard work but if you are consistent all of a sudden one day you ARE going to look in the mirror and realize you did it!

yep!

Nothing wrong with a little self pity here and there as long as it doesn't last too long. I think that's pretty human. Sometimes you have to feel really low to feel like you can climb up. know what I mean? I did anyway.

I'm so glad we could all help out. I think that's what really great about Cathe's site and these posting boards. Keep letting us know how it's going. Since I want to be a trainer I should get used to giving pep talks anyway!

Hey Crystal.....

See my nickname????

Took me a LONG time to get there !!!
happy.gif
I was "AlmostAtGoal" for FOREVER...... but October 26th of last year..... I was able to change it....

It can be done and the support that you can get from here, from VF, and from the egroups that Pam mentioned can be a LIFESAVER..... (and not the sugared kind either.)

We all have rough days, we all plod along, but WE GET THERE..... and YOU WILL TOO.... Taking it in the smaller increments is DEFINITELY alot less overwhelming. Don't look at the "whole big" picture for now... just focus on those first 5 lbs.

And with fitness strides..... MAN OH MAN... can they make you feel PHENOMINAL... nothing like a good workout, cardio or weights, to make you get the ENDORPHIN HIGH... (of course in my case, some good ole Dunkin' Donuts coffee helps also
happy.gif
) But, when you look back and realize you began your weight work with no pounds and then you're lifting 25 and 35 and 45 lbs. ... well, NOTHING feels better.

So, hang in there and keep reading!!!
happy.gif

Wahhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooo.......
Cleda

PS.....and for more proof... check out my "info" button.
wink.gif
Of course, it was a VERY Good camera angle, but what the heck!
wink.gif

Hi Cleda!

I checked out your info button like you mentioned to Crystal, and YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!!! All I can say is "WOW". What an inspiration. What abs! I hope one day to have a success story like that. You made my day!!!
Lisa

I Agree!

Cleda~I know I've commented before but you truly are an inspiration! Wow, what a change!! You look so good. Do you still do WW? What would you say was the most important thing you did to lose the weight other then just DECIDING to do it? (Just curious.) That camera angle is GREAT!
wink.gif

DebbieH

CONSTANT BATTLE.....

Hey Debbie...

It's a constant (and I do mean CONSTANT) battle with good days and bad days.

Yes. . .
happy.gif
I still follow weight watchers and probably always will (if I want to keep the weight off). The weight creeps on soooo slowly and then bam! I realize I have about 10 lbs. to lose (again) from when that picture was taken at Christmas time!
wink.gif
I guess I'm probably up about 10 lbs. from the picture and is my usual plight in life, I'm working on getting it off....
sad.gif

So, yes, I am ALWAYS "on program", with an occasional day off here and there. WW Is the ONLY program I've been able to successfully stick to for ANY length of time...

Cleda
happy.gif

PS... And you know the exercise REALLY REALLY helps....
wink.gif

Crystal-Pooty!

Hey, Sunshine! I've lost 40 pounds so far, and with your enthusiasm and fire, I'm sure that you can do it, too. Please feel free to e-me. Tammy C. had sent me your address, but it got wiped out with the i-village new formating. Anyway, please keep in touch with those who are rootin' fer ya! Kissie kissie, and wishes for peace, Rainy

WOW!Thank you All!Hi Rainy!

I think I can.. I think I can..!! Thank you all again.
You are my sunshine!! Rainy... Sunshine.... get it!!!! HA! Imagine my surprise
when I saw your post over at Cathe's just now! I've never been happier to see a
"Rainy" day! 40 pounds????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL! That is so
wonderful! I am bursting with pride (and outta my blouse but this isn't about me
happy.gif
).
The encouragement I have gotten from this post is overwhelming. I will keep you all "posted" on my progress.

Thank you SO much!

RE: Hi Crystal

i dont think there's anything wrong with being a size 12.especially if your working out feeling good!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.