Any Canadians ordering?

MelanieC

Cathlete
Anyone else living in Canada who is surprised by the new duties added to orders? Shipping may be free on orders over $50, but now we have to pay $50 in duties. I’m a little disappointed as I’ve never had to pay duties on my Cathe orders.

UPS (and DHL) service from USA to here (Canada) has always been very bad. UPS being worst than DHL in my experience. USPS and then Canada Post is as reliable as the couriers. I've never had any complaints or excessive duties for anything under $65 or so.
I just ordered the DVDs (no bands, I just buy local most of the time), so the duties charges weren't as high as $50. I am really hoping Cathe will decide to go with USPS though in the future. Yes, Covid put a lot of strain on the USPS, Canada Post etc but it does work very well for the most part.
So sorry that you ended up paying THAT much Melanie. Excessive, no argument.

Whaaaat?! Omg I've never paid that before for my Cathe orders. Well money is tight so that definitely makes my decision. Unfortunately i cannot afford to order these new DVDs and bands even though I'd love to have them and support Cathe

I agree completely. I too would love to order but just can't this time as the cost was prohibitive. I automatically pre-order everything Cathe puts out sadly won't be this time. I have never had any duties charges in the past. I guess I had lucked out.

Elsie, what local (Canadian) company did you purchase your fabric bands from?

Anyone else living in Canada who is surprised by the new duties added to orders? Shipping may be free on orders over $50, but now we have to pay $50 in duties. I’m a little disappointed as I’ve never had to pay duties on my Cathe orders.
Hi MelanieC, I'm not sure where you got the idea that you have to pay $50 in duties and taxes? If you order the Boss Bands and Loops + DVDs your total duties and taxes your country charges is only about $10 CAD which is about $7.80 USD.

UPS (and DHL) service from USA to here (Canada) has always been very bad. UPS being worst than DHL in my experience. USPS and then Canada Post is as reliable as the couriers. I've never had any complaints or excessive duties for anything under $65 or so.
I just ordered the DVDs (no bands, I just buy local most of the time), so the duties charges weren't as high as $50. I am really hoping Cathe will decide to go with USPS though in the future. Yes, Covid put a lot of strain on the USPS, Canada Post etc but it does work very well for the most part.
So sorry that you ended up paying THAT much Melanie. Excessive, no argument.
Elsie, we spent several months negotiating our new UPS rates and they're about 40% cheaper than postal rates. In the past, many countries did not collect duties and taxes, even though they were supposed to, if the shipment was under a certain amount, but this is no longer true in most cases. In our last presale for Perfect30 the majority of our customers that lived in Canada were charged duties and taxes, many for the first time. We expect this trend to continue.

In the UK there is a new requirement that we are required to collect all duties and taxes regardless of how we ship (UPS or USPS). We then have to file and pay quarterly tax returns in the UK.

Also, the $50 duties and taxes fee that you're referring to is not correct or even close to the actual amount that any Canadian will have to pay for ordering the new series. The average Canadian that orders the bands and DVDs ($59.97) will pay duties and taxes of about $10 CAD which is about $7.80 USD.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I too would love to order but just can't this time as the cost was prohibitive. I automatically pre-order everything Cathe puts out sadly won't be this time. I have never had any duties charges in the past. I guess I had lucked out.

Elsie, what local (Canadian) company did you purchase your fabric bands from?
Jane, I will be looking around for those large body bands. As for the hip loops, I got some from an online retailer here in BC. It was a long while ago, but if I happen to find the invoice, I'll send a pm. Just cannot recall the name now, sorry. They have stood the test of time ... and my thick legs!!

Elsie, we spent several months negotiating our new UPS rates and they're about 40% cheaper than postal rates. In the past, many countries did not collect duties and taxes, even though they were supposed to, if the shipment was under a certain amount, but this is no longer true in most cases. In our last presale for Perfect30 the majority of our customers that lived in Canada were charged duties and taxes, many for the first time. We expect this trend to continue.

In the UK there is a new requirement that we are required to collect all duties and taxes regardless of how we ship (UPS or USPS). We then have to file and pay quarterly tax returns in the UK.
I certainly do not dismiss all of your efforts to get the best shipping rates you got for your customers. Thank you. Most of your customers, I presume, are in the US and yes, those rates are the best for shipping throughout the US. It's difficult to find a single shipping option that works for everyone geographically and I also appreciate what has been done with the international check-out page etc.
Having said all that, it is still the case that couriers like UPS & DHL tend to charge much more than Canada Post byway from USPS in handling charges when it comes to going through the duties process. Duties are duties, and there's really not a whole lot anyone can do about this. However the charges put in place to HANDLE them are really all over the place. I've paid UPS handling charges online before it gets to my home, only to have the courier at the door hold onto to my item and try to get an extra charge from me. I'm very happy that you have ensured that this is all squared away at the check-out. This, at least, is a relief.

The average Canadian that orders the bands and DVDs ($59.97) will pay duties and taxes of about $10 CAD which is about $7.80 USD.

For reference, this is copy-paste of my invoice for order of two DVDs (no bands)

Cathe

Thank You For Your Order!​

Order Date: 2021 May 01 UTC Saturday​
Order Number​
removed​
Boss Bands DVD & Boss Loops DVD x 1​
39.14 CAD​
UPS Worldwide Economy 5-12 Days​
22.06 CAD​
Duty and Tax​
Included​
Order Total​
61.20 CAD​
PayPal​

Thank you for shopping with Cathe
Please visit us again.​

I have not participated in the last three pre-sales.... I believe I got a couple of FitSplit downloads.
However, I didn't think this was a great pre-sale price.
Just being honest as a customer.

I certainly do not dismiss all of your efforts to get the best shipping rates you got for your customers. Thank you. Most of your customers, I presume, are in the US and yes, those rates are the best for shipping throughout the US. It's difficult to find a single shipping option that works for everyone geographically and I also appreciate what has been done with the international check-out page etc.
Having said all that, it is still the case that couriers like UPS & DHL tend to charge much more than Canada Post byway from USPS in handling charges when it comes to going through the duties process. Duties are duties, and there's really not a whole lot anyone can do about this. However the charges put in place to HANDLE them are really all over the place. I've paid UPS handling charges online before it gets to my home, only to have the courier at the door hold onto to my item and try to get an extra charge from me. I'm very happy that you have ensured that this is all squared away at the check-out. This, at least, is a relief.
For reference, this is copy-paste of my invoice for order of two DVDs (no bands)

Cathe

Order Number​
removed​
39.14 CAD​
22.06 CAD​
Duty and Tax​
Included​
Order Total​
61.20 CAD​
PayPal​
Please visit us again.​

I have not participated in the last three pre-sales.... I believe I got a couple of FitSplit downloads.
Hi Elsie, our best pre-sale deals are if you purchase both sets of bands and DVDs. You're only purchasing both DVDs, but still, you're saving 35% off the price they will be after the presale.

Cathe

Order Number​
removed​
39.14 CAD​
22.06 CAD​
Duty and Tax​
Included​
Order Total​
61.20 CAD​
PayPal​
Please visit us again.​

H
Hi Elsie, normally USPS is cheaper than UPS on international shipments, but that's no longer the case with the new rates we have negotiated with UPS for our shipments. Our UPS international rates are generally 30 to 45% cheaper than the postal service and offer better tracking and faster delivery. Your duties and taxes are also cheaper than what the postal service normally seems to charge and you don't have to worry about paying these fees when your package arrives. However, your savings will not be as great with your order because your package is light and the postal service is more competitive with their rates on orders less than 1lb, but even on lightweight packages, our new UPS rates are cheaper than USPS.

Hi MelanieC, I'm not sure where you got the idea that you have to pay $50 in duties and taxes? If you order the Boss Bands and Loops + DVDs your total duties and taxes your country charges is only about $10 CAD which is about $7.80 USD.
Not sure I really appreciate the tone of this response. I'm not making it up.

I posted a screen shot of the 4 dvds I tried to order just to show that I'm not making it up, and this is where I got my idea from - duties and taxes are close to $50. This doesn't include the pre-order, which I also wanted to order but that really made the extra charges prohibitive.

I posted a screen shot of the 4 dvds I tried to order just to show that I'm not making it up, and this is where I got my idea from - duties and taxes are close to $50. This doesn't include the pre-order, which I also wanted to order but that really made the extra charges prohibitive.
Hi MelanieC, I'm sorry, I thought you were referring to the presale DVDs which are only $59.97 and your order actually is for some other DVDs and is over $100. Hence, duties and taxes will be more than I mentioned. Still, let me check to see if the system is calculating your duties and taxes correctly. We haven't had a lot of international customers select our free shipping option with our new system, so it could be calculating something wrong that we are not aware of related to the free shipping selection. I would think duties and taxes would only be around $11 CAD for an order of this size. I'll have to reach out to the shopping cart vendor tomorrow and get back to you on this.

Last edited:
Hi Melanie, can you also contact our customer service department at [email protected] and send them a complete image showing the left side of your checkout page with your address. Also, can you try another order for just our $59.97 presale ( don't click the final Place My Order Button). I want to see what price you get.

Hi MelanieC, we did a test order to your Canadian address and we were able to duplicate the order results that you shared here yesterday. There is definitely an issue with free shipping orders returning an incorrect duties and taxes total that's way too high. This error is causing your duties and taxes to be about 4 times greater than what they should be. We've notified the shopping cart vendor of this error and hopefully, they can have a developer fix this problem ASAP and I'll let you know just as soon as they do.

I will not order the bands because of the extra charges, which brought my order of Bands Loops and DVD bundle up to $121.22 Canadian from 77.08 CA. Duties were $9.25. I will likely order the downloads, and get bands locally. Like others, I've not had taxes or customs added on to my previous orders unless they exceeded $100 CA. The new trade agreement with the US is what is coming into play here. Some delivery services have better deals than others in the actual trade agreement. Canada Post is not one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Hi MelanieC, we did a test order to your Canadian address and we were able to duplicate the order results that you shared here yesterday. There is definitely an issue with free shipping orders returning an incorrect duties and taxes total that's way too high. This error is causing your duties and taxes to be about 4 times greater than what they should be. We've notified the shopping cart vendor of this error and hopefully, they can have a developer fix this problem ASAP and I'll let you know just as soon as they do.
Thank you so much!

Hi Melanie, I think this is working now. You should see Free Shipping and Canadian duties and taxes of around $11 to $15 CAD depending on which 4 DVDs you order and the coupon you use. Let me know if this works for you?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.