Any advice from the educated crowd?

Amysue

Cathlete
Hey, all!
I need some advice regarding my current training and was hoping to get some feedback. For the last 3 or 4 months, I have been training with my husband. We do a three day split with heavy weights plus long bike rides, runs, intervals, etc. It's really helped me increase my strength overall. What I'd like to know is this...if I feel as if I need to work in another exercise for a body part that we DON'T do, can I do these exercises at home (on the sly) the day that we're planning to do work those body parts at the gym? For instance, I don't think we work my hamstrings or glutes to maximum...so can I do some step ups, etc. at home the day of our leg workout? Maybe this sounds weird, but guys just work out differently. Maybe better in some ways, but lacking in others. I'm always sore and I'm seeing muscle growth, but the shape of my butt in particular is starting to change for the worse. I'm also thinking about throwing in some more cardio. He remains very ripped with a few sessions a week. I, on the other hand, needed to do two sessions a day for about 3 months to lose my spare tire...it's starting to creep back.
What do you think? Any input is appreciated!
Amy

Hey Amy..

I know what you mean. Men just don't seem to need as much help in the "fanny" department.

I think what you are thinking would be OK, just make sure not to add too much on and to keep awatch for signs of overtraining. Maybe only add one exercise for glutes and one for hams per session per week. Then switch them with other exercises the next week. I like heavy lifting sessions for legs, but many weeks I add on floorwork since I feel that my smaller muscles don't get isolated as well with the more heavy duty weights exercises such as squats.

Good luck to you! It sounds like you are getting great results!!

Janice

Hi Amysue!
Wow you and your hubby are very active, that is awesome! You two sound like a buff duo;-)

It sounds to me that the program you are are on is working for your hubby and also may have worked for you in the beginning but is tapering off now and your not seeking the results you want anymore!You may need to change your reps, sets , poundage,rests periods and possibly different exercises!

Can you give us an outline of your program now? What exercies do you perform on each training day? What are your current goals? If you feel that you need to do another exercise an are disatisfied with the exercises you do for the glutes then add a mini program for added blood flow to the gluteus muscle or just substitue an exercise at the gym ! Make sure to add variety to your leg training using isolation exercises such as glute cable extensions,glute push ups(pelvic bridge pushing up from the heels)butt blaster etc and also compound exercises lunges,squats,leg press,step ups etc!

Not knowing what your leg training schedule is now but do you use any of the following at the gym: the smithline machine for squats, leg press, leg extension and hamstring curl, butt blaster or the adductor,abductor or cables in your program?
I can give you a mini program to do at home that can be done in 10 or 20 mins, email me at [email protected] and I'll ask you some more questions on your training!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.