Any Adult ADDers Out There?

Alexis52

Cathlete
Do any of you all have ADD? My son was diagnosed last year at the age of 16 when he "hit the wall." Anyway, the reason he was diagnosed so late is because he's a really smart kid AND his mom (moi) didn't notice cuz I'm ADD, too. So what looks regular to me is a bit different. I've read a lot about it, but was wondering what anyones personal experiences have been. If not appropriate for here, then please e-mail me. Thanks, Alexis

PS, Not that you noticed but I've signed my name as Cheryl in the past. My real name is Alexis - mid name Cheryl. People call me both depending on our relationship and past. So I'm out of the closet, so to speak.

I don't know any Adult ADDers but my son that is now 12 going on 13 was diagnosed with ADHD 5 years ago and now they are saying my toddler is showing all the early signs of ADHD and the doctors told me that they should eventually grow out of most of the symptoms and lead normal adult lifes. My son is also very intellegent. they way we knew he was that way because he literaly climbed the walls LOL.

To be more accurate, ADHD is the name now, even for people without the hyperactivity. My son has the inattentive type. Yes, you're right, research now shows that kids outgrow the hyperactivity but not the distractability factor. Because he was diagnosed so late, I'm having trouble understanding some of his behaviors that continue even though he knows what has to be done. Guess change is just plain ole hard. Alexis

ADHD, now that is a subject. I am a teacher and this condition affects my life every day in the classroom and with my own son who is ADHD. This condition is very perplexing. I can say without question, that almost every child with this diagnosis that has crossed the threshold of my classroom, is above average in intelligence. This includes my son. I see it as a mixed blessing syndrome. I have noticed over the years that ADHD children have problems concentrating, but on the flip side of this they also notice many things the average Joe misses. I really don't know what to think about ADHD. After 14 years in the classroom this condition continues to challenge and perplex me. I have seen children under treated and over treated. It is a condition that needs very personal treatment. NO two ADHD people are the same. I am always looking for answers at home and at school.
We are trying a new medication called Statera with my son. It isn't an amphetamine like most ADHD meds. I don't think it works as well as the dexadrine he used to take. That worked well, but really messed with his appetite. I would love to hear more about how other people have dealt with this condition. Even as a teacher I resisted putting my son on meds. He just couldn't function at school, so I caved. ADHD is a huge factor in my life. I would love to hear about ways others are coping with it.

Hopefull

I hear ya. I, too, am a teacher. My own ADHD is most noticeable when I take a class, or when I compeleted my MA. I don't test well. I know the stuff but recall is a problem. My son can concentrate beautifully on a test (called hyper-focused)because, he says, it's quiet! He also is taking Strattera and I agree with you that the difference while on Concerta was more noticeable. But then, he was "high" and quite a bit more grouchy. The Strattera is more subtle. Two months ago, I found a counselor/therapist who is ADHD and dyslexic himself. It's a match made in heaven! I, too, didn't agree with the meds route until my son hit the wall. One day he just broke down and said he can't do it anymore. Said that he's been faking it and just wanted to "go away." Scared me to death. I stayed home with him the next day and got an emergency appt at a psychiatrist office. I thought he was suicidal. But the good news is, he's just ADHD. Check out the Amen Clinic on the web. Let me know what you think. Alexis

My son tried several things out there and didn't have much luck. He is now on Provigil and I see great response with that med and is not a stimulant like the other meds. I use alot of behavioral modification to help with his concentration. So far we are still struggling with him on getting in his work he has done. He was tested and tested above average on everthing. He always comes in either first or second in the science fair. The one thing I really hate about ADHD is the meds make him loose his appetite and he is so tiny and I am so worried about that. I have talked to all his doctors about and they all are not concerned as I am. Is that just me or should I still be worried about it? I am so worried that I am going to consult with a nutritionist to power pack his meals and his shakes I make him. It is also comferting to know so many celebrities have this. Even Einstien and Walt Disney had it.

RE: Long - Any Adult ADDers Out There?

I saw your post and, although I mostly lurk, I felt compelled to respond to your posting as this is subject I am very familiar with.

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1976, which was fairly rare for a female at the time. My parents were resistant to drug therapy and tried all sorts of alternative therapies including the Feingold Diet. The diet removes all artificial colors, preservatives, etc. from the diet and then added them back in to determine sensitivity. Diet modification had little effect but we did discover that certain artificial colorings, especially the reds, increased my symptoms. Eventually we turned to drug therapy and I took Ritalin. I discovered in middle school that an increased activity level makes all of the difference for me. I played sports through school and then started running, aerobics, and weight training in college. I have also added yoga and have found that the practice is very helpful in calming my mind. I switched from Ritalin to Wellbutrin in college and have had great success with the treatment. I sort of developed my own way of studying through trial and error to determine what works best for me and did very well in college and now in my career.

My daughter was also diagnosed with ADHD at age 6. We tried several alternative treatments and finally settled on Adderall. She has been taking the medication for several years, she is now 13, with no problems. Through elementary school we worked very closely with her teachers to determine the best learning and study environment for her. Now she is in middle school and is on the honor roll and is already planning for college. Actually, her teachers this year did not even know she has ADHD until we inquired as to how she was doing after a medication adjustment. She has better concentration when she is physically active so she exercises regularly. Yoga also helps her tremendously. She avoids red coloring like the plague as it completely set her off. Prolonged exposure to visual stimulation, especially video games and cartoons, seems to really have a negative effect her ability to concentrate and has great difficulty falling asleep if she watches television after 8:00pm.

We were fortunate to find a physician who is also an ADHD patient and she has been wonderful. In my experience, treating ADHD has to be a cooperative effort. The teachers for the most part have been very supportive and cooperative. We have always discouraged using the ADHD diagnosis as a crutch or viewing it as a disability. There are many wonderful support groups both online and in most metropolitan areas for children, teens, and adults.

Having had ADHD my entire life I cannot imagine my life without it and actually enjoy my slightly different view on the world. It is sometimes very challenging and frustrating to deal with. I am happy to offer any information from my experience that you may be helpful. Best of luck with your son’s treatment!

Hey Alexis/Cheryl, are you sure you wrote this post???

'Cause girl, I could have written it. My 16-year-old straight-A son was diagnosed last summer -- same exact situation, hit the wall the spring of his sophomore year and came to me complaining that sometimes focusing on his work felt like "swimming through mud." We had him tested really thinking that it would simply reassure him and perhaps that we'd get some study/organization tips from the psychologist -- imagine our surprise when it turned out he is indeed ADD. Technically, the diagnosis was ADHD with concentration in attention deficit. He shows no hyperactivity other than a mild restlessness when sitting still (he flips pens, taps his fingers, that sort of thing.) In my obsessive reading to get acquainted with ADD I have decided that I must surely be ADD too, with the same compensating techniques that my son has always used. My DH thinks so too -- he reads the diagnostic checklists and says "wow honey, that's you!"

Have you read "Driven to Distraction" and "Answers to Distraction"? Great resources.

Another great resource, by the way, which isn't ADHD-focused but is teen-focused and has been a revelation to me, is "Yes, Your Teen Is Crazy". A humorous, gentle book that's very reassuring to every parent like me who mourns for that loving, genial 13-year-old who has disappeared into a moodier, monosyllabic, mom-challenging 16-year-old. You MUST read it!

E-mail me anytime if you want to discuss the ADD treatment, etc. -- my e-mail is [email protected]. And welcome out of the closet! :)

http://e4u.deltait.com.au/sport/sport23.gif Kathy S.

Does anyone know what the difference between ADD ADHD and OCD are they similar my son has been diagnosed wioth OCD last fall Hew as put on Paxil which has helped but he still has some symptoms mainly the hand washing and seems to use hands like everything is icky to touch just wondering if anyone has any experience wihtt his?
Thanks
Lisa

Lisa, OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder is in a different category than ADHD. ADD is now part of ADHD - just a subset of it. It's attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity. I really don't know anything about OCD but maybe someone here does. Alexis

Hi Alexis,

Well, I e-mailed again, but my guess is that function is not working (not for me, anyway).
I was finally diagnosed about 6 months ago.
On Concerta & Wellbutrin and doing better. In therapy, too, but limited ADD work done there.

I have beenm doing some research on & off, and have really been trying to focus on improving organization at home & work.

The meds definitely have helped me to focus better, but to a lesser extent the longer I am on them.
I really did not want to go on them, but the Concerta really did make a significant difference, so I plan to stick w/that and therapy and see what happens.Wellbutrin was really prescribed for depression, and I am not sure what effect that has had. I started that first, and only noticed a difference weeks later when I started the other.

Anyway, I would be interested in any insights you may have.
I have not told many people about it (until now).
My e-mail at home is [email protected]

Take care,
Michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.