Antidepressants: These drugs are a JOKE!! (ok, rant too)

RE: Antidepressants: These drugs are a JOKE!! (ok, rant...

I am also going to look into those books.....thanks!

Boy, do I know how you feel. College is stressful and you sound like you have a lot on your mind right now. Two weeks after I graduated I had my "meltdown" and took Paxil successfully for several years. (By the way, I weened myself off of it with no problems whatsoever so it doesn't affect everyone negatively when they quit taking it - if that helps anyone.) It doesn't help that your therapist is not the best communicator either. I would make a change there. Focus on the good things in your life and don't let the negative things drag you down. I'm rootin' for you!

You know, I am trying to get a job at this Corporate Wellness company that does body fat checks and blood draws...bone scans. They come to your worksite and advocate fitness and health as well as do various health screenings. They employ RN's for this. They have flu clinics. I know this is not a reason to get into nursing but this type of job does appeal to me. Or the ones that list "Exercise Physiologist OR RN", say to teach senior fitness or corporate fitness in the hospital gym??? PERFECT!!!! I thought maybe along the way I may find another area of nursing that interests me even more. I am hoping.

I love health promotion. Even though I have been struggling lately with my own inner demons, shall we say, my passion is exercise and wellness and empowering others by education. I know the feeling that being fit and healthy has given me in the past......the self confidence I got from it......and I want to give this to others. My only question with clinical nursing is do I want to be around people 100% of the time that are so unhealthy with no hope in some cases of ever feeling "fit".

But I know nursing is a good place to start. The only reason I picked nursing over exercise phys or health promotion was the versatility, flexibility, and the options. There are so many areas. I could graduate school and never do anything but give shots and make more $$ than I do now. Then ten years later, after starting a family, I can go back and take a refresher course and begin my career all over again!! Once you have the "RN", so many doors open for you. In the process of school, I hoped to step out of my own shell for a bit and see the real suffering of this world. I am hoping to suprise myself.

I am hoping to see that the problems I have that seem so huge to me now are really so, so, so insignificant in comparison to what others go through. I am hoping to become a more caring, compassionate person. Right now I am looking at volunteering in hospice. We will see...For now, one day at a time so I am gonna go study for my Patho test!! and practice my IV skills for check off.

You guys are great, thank you!

:)

Hi Janice,

My heart really goes out to you. You're struggling so hard to find your way and I fear you're really beating yourself up.

After reading your posts I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you leave nursing. It doesn't sound like a career in nursing is what you're really after anyway. Also, your remarks about the educational process and career expectations seem way off to me.

Yes, nursing school is hard and they do try to break you. My class started out with about 80 students and less than 20 graduated. It's a tough career and you have to be able to assess situations and make decisions about patient care, and you cannot afford to make mistakes. Nursing instructors need to weed out students that can't cut it.

Have you ever asked yourself why there are so many incentives to attract stundents into nursing programs? It's because they really need nurses, and they really need nurses because it's a really hard job and nobody wants to do it. It's often thankless. You'll have to work weekends and holidays and overtime. You'll need an MSN if you want to advance in your career.

I really want you to be happy and to succeed but judging from your own remarks, I'm not sure this is the right path for you. I wish you well in whatever you decide.

Michele

Michele,

Thank you for the comments. If you feel that nursing is not right for me, can you tell me, based on my comments, what is? I am just asking what sounds to you to be a better path if not nursing?

Janice,

You have mentioned things along the lines of "fitness". You mentioned exercise physiology so maybe you should look more into that. What about personal training? Have you considered something like physical therapy?

Janice, I don't know you at all and I may be way off the mark here. I'm just telling you what it looks like to me as a nurse reading your post. You may need to step back and think hard about what you really want for yourself. What do you love? What are you passionate about? This is where you'll find your answers.;)

ETA - You love animals--have you considered training as a vet tech?

Michele

Hey Janice,

I just wanted to hopefully send some peace of mind to you. As for the antidepressants...it really is trial and error to find the right one and it took me years. I actually take Lexapro and it was my wonder drug. It was the last one in the whole chain of drugs that I tried of SSRI's. It's important to find a good therapist...it took me years to do that as well. Don't be afraid to ask for recommendations from people you know. It sounds like you are very overwhelmed and the medications do take a while to kick in. Within the first 2 months I just simply noticed that I was sleeping better and crying less. I was NOT out of being depressed...that takes time but if its disturbing your basic functions like eating and sleeping...you need to get the body balanced first before you deal with your life issues. I too have been struggling with finding myself and a career. I've been unemployed struggling to find work for 6 months and I have 2 weeks before my unemployment runs out. At the age of 31 and (still single) I may have to find a waitressing job after I've gone to college for 4 years. I live with my parents, sick brother and am in debt trying to get my life together. I say this not to depress you but to let you know you are not alone. Take it one day at a time...maybe nursing is not right for you right now...you can always go back with a clearer head. If you are going to school it should be for a passion or interest of yours. Its ok to take time to figure that out. You can always do temp work while you figure that out. Don't be hard on yourself...don't rush to do anything including having a baby. Just be good to yourself right now...you deserve it. Depression has a way of making you think you need to change something right now in order to make it go away. It doesn't work that way. You need to just reflect and nurture yourself.

Well............

I got a call today on that Corporate Wellness job!! Wow, I just submitted my resume and cover letter TODAY and got a call about an hour ago for an interview THURSDAY!! Now I absolutely HAVE to go get an outfit! I hope this works out because I am actually kinda excited about this one. Since it is nursing blended with fitness it is atleast a step in the right direction.......whichever that might be!! LOL!!!

I really do appreciate all the empathy you all have shown me. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!:)

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance LISA, I was under the impression that this was an open forum where people give their opinions? Clearly I was wrong, thanks for correcting me LISA.

Nothing in my post was inappropriate. And to give you some insight, LISA, I know what depression looks like after living with a Father that was depressed for the majority of my life with him, and a Mother that had a breakdown. Being down, feeling sad, feeling low, are far, far different from depression, LISA. From what read from this post, it sounded to me like she was down, not depressed. This is was taken from what I read.
$100,000 may not be a lot to you, but it maybe a fortune to someone else. Ever consider that LISA?

And no, i don't have a degree.

$100,000 is alot to me too. A hell of a lot! It takes me and my husband both working full time jobs to get by and we will probably never own our home in this lifetime (and our house is nothing fancy-low middle class). You tried to make her feel ashamed that she was depressed and that she had no right to be simply because she has some equity in her house.(you said, hey let me have your life) That's not fair. Alot of people have worked hard for 20 plus years and have some equity in their house. It doesn't mean they are exempt from anxiety and depression. People that are depressed need help and care, not a spanking on the hand. That's my .02 cents and I'm finished with this subject now.
Lisa

Janice, nursing school is the most difficult thing I've ever been through but I never had doubts during it. I have to agree with the folks on here who are saying if you have this much anxiety and doubt over it now, it is NOT right for you. There is no shame in quitting a program when you realize what you are studying is not your passion. I tell my daughter this all the time when she ties herself up in knots over her clarinet playing. If it's not your passion, you already KNOW that inside. And there are far too many people in this world who wake up miserable everyday and drag themselves to jobs they hate. Don't do that to yourself. You DO have a choice. We all do. The real courage comes with realizing that and making the change.

I hate to give advice to strangers on the Internet since it seems so assuming and smug to sit back and analyze someone's life from a few words in a post, but in this instance I'm going to because I can feel your pain and frustration coming through loud and clear. Here goes:

1) Ditch your therapist and find another one. I've been there ... done that ... and anyone who intimates you're a failure if you quit a program that is making you absolutely miserable is a bonehead, IMHO. It's obvious to more than just me that you are not happy in nursing school.

2) Quit nursing school. Do it now. If you're this miserable learning how to be a nurse believe me when I tell you that you will be a hundred times more miserable actually working as one. And forgive me if this sounds harsh, but no patient needs a miserable nurse taking care of them - even for 8 short hours ... which to a sick person is not "short" at all.

3) If you want to move to MN, be a housewife and have babies, then do it. If that's what you feel in your heart will make you happy, then make yourself happy. Don't do it for your family. Your family is not living your life - YOU are. Don't do it for them - do it for YOU, if that is what YOU truly want. This may sound selfish but I don't believe it is - I think it's a matter of self-preservation. You sound to me from all your other posts like someone who rarely puts her own needs and wants first. I think your body and basically your entire being is telling you that you need to do that, and you need to do it NOW before you implode.

Hope I haven't offended you. I'm speaking from my heart, and as someone who has "watched" you struggle through this for quite a while now. Take care of yourself for a change.

Carol

To icklemoley,
You are right, nothing in your post was inappropriate. I have no idea why your post struck a chord in me. I guess because I've dealt with so much anxiety and depression in my lifetime that it is an extremely sensitive subject for me. I apologize for being so rude. All you said was "let me have your life" and I don't know why that bothered me. I'm sorry for being juvenile. And I'm sorry that your mom and dad suffered so much with anxiety and depression. The two are horrible experiences.
Lisa

Carol,

I appreciate your advice and value it as well. You have been here a long time and have listened to me whine one too many times I am sure, LOL.

I am seriously going to think about all you have written, as well as what the others have said. I did get those books as well, Jen.

Janice, glad you weren't offended. I don't see your posts as "whining". You're a sweet kind-hearted person who does so much for everyone and everything else, but I'm guessing very little for yourself. Sometimes you have to tell everyone it's time to stop the ride because you want to get off, and just kick back and take some well-deserved ME time!!

When you eventually decide what to do you will know if it's the right thing when it makes YOU happy and peaceful inside.

Carol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.