Another Ultimate Yogi question

jcm

Cathlete
I've read previous posts about how much people liked this yoga series. I've been doing Yoga Foundations for two weeks and really like it. Just having a hard time embracing yoga as an actual workout, as opposed to an add-on to a "real" workout. Been doing Cathe for years, have completed rounds of STS, completed several half marathons, but at 42 years old my body isn't agreeing with my choice of activities any longer! Despite my continued attempts to keep running (including yoga, Horizontal Conditioning, etc) it seems to be destroying my lower back. So my question is this ... is there really a cardio and strength factor is some of these practices as they claim? I will admit my body is much happier after one of his routines. I don't get shooting pain in my lower back like I do after a run :)

Jen

OOOHHH yes! The UY 'cardio' workout gets my HR up to about 150+ (sort of Hardstrikes level). The UY 'strength' leaves my arms wobbly with all the chattarungas, and some of the leg sections, seriously ignite my quads! (I can get through the push-ups in Meso#1 STS, so I'm not just being pathetic). UY 'crosstrain' is a good mix of strength and cardio.
The only thing I'd warn about is that it can put quite a bit of strain on the rotator cuffs. I was doing it alongside STS, and it was perhaps a bit much.
I'm a bit older than you, and agree that we need something other than just strength and cardio as we age. If I miss yoga for a while, my body complains.

UY is in a different league to Eliot's 'Foundations' - be warned!

I love it!
Justine
(PS I did the 108 day programme - an amazing experience)

I love UY! Foundations is a good introduction, but the series bumps it up several notches. If not sure you want the entire series, I recommend Crosstrain and/or Short & Sweet. Being the enabler that I am, I say buy the entire set. While there are many similarities, each one really does have a different focus.

I am currently doing an STS rotation, mixed with spinning and UY. One week, I do spinning twice and UY once. Then the next week, UY twice and spinning once. I have so many Cathe DVDs that I often feel overwhelmed by all the good choices I have. I really wanted to complete STS again and do more yoga. Halfway through the rotation and really like the balance of workouts.

Lisa

Hi Jen. If you look on Ebay , someone has Ultimate Yogi for $44.69. Sometimes Discount Dvd will have it on sale. I bought mine from them for $80. You can find good sales if you are diligent in looking and patient.
I am doing UY every other day and lifting every other day. I quite enjoy the yoga. I get a high from it. I am new to yoga. It can be hard on the wrists and shoulders. But Travis is a great and calm instructor. I say if you like yoga , it is worth the purchase. I am 60 so I feel I need this at this stage in my life. :( My joints are starting to ache. :eek:

Jean

A lot of the low priced sets on EBay are boot legged and will wear out quickly!

Good info, thanks! Always knew yoga was something I should do but hated it. Wanted the burn and satisfaction or a run or HiiT. Cathe's yoga relax was the first one I could actually tolerate. Because she wasn't "weird." :) But last year after another half marathon I had back problems I couldn't shake. Spent months in PT and ended up getting prolotherapy. It was better but gets worse every time I try to run again. And I'm finding workouts make me stiff like they never used to. As soon as it's discounted again I'll probably get the series. Last week it was 30% off but was still undecided. Cathe is the only person I've ever invested that kind of money in. Her and my 12 year old treadmill :) Guess I need to embrace the fact I'm getting older and my body needs different things. And I'm not just throwing in the towel. Though it feels like it. But I can't punish my back either. My scoliosis is significant and 3 kids hasn't helped.

but fyi - travis is a great and thorough instructor but at times i feel like he's walking me through some strange sex thing. like when he says "mmmmmm....mmmmmm. you guys are making me jelous." please tell me i'm not along in this.

OOOHHH yes! The UY 'cardio' workout gets my HR up to about 150+ (sort of Hardstrikes level). The UY 'strength' leaves my arms wobbly with all the chattarungas, and some of the leg sections, seriously ignite my quads! (I can get through the push-ups in Meso#1 STS, so I'm not just being pathetic). UY 'crosstrain' is a good mix of strength and cardio.
The only thing I'd warn about is that it can put quite a bit of strain on the rotator cuffs. I was doing it alongside STS, and it was perhaps a bit much.
I'm a bit older than you, and agree that we need something other than just strength and cardio as we age. If I miss yoga for a while, my body complains.

UY is in a different league to Eliot's 'Foundations' - be warned!

I love it!
Justine
(PS I did the 108 day programme - an amazing experience)

I agree 110%. The UY progam is so worth it!!! Justine...when you did the 108 program..did you continue doing other workouts? I only have time for approx. 60 mins a day for workouts. So I only do one of the UY disc 1 time a week..plus I do UY on my recovery week. My body says thank you when I'm done.

Sherry

Last edited:
Hi Sherry - yes I did UY on top of a Cathe rotation. I started UY just before I started STS. I'd do either STS or cardio in the morning, then UY in the evening. Somehow it all worked together - great when I had to do STS followed by UY cardio - a good mix. I took about 120 days to do it - occasionally I just didn't have the time. When it came to doing 108 sun salutations, I thought I'd never get through them - but I got in to a rhythm, and spent the rest of the day blissed out.
I'd do it again - in fact, I'm planning on it soon.

Jen - Travis does say some weird things. He has such a soothing voice, however, that I treat it like background music. Sort of a chant!!

I don't think you'll regret the money spent on UY

Justine

I recommend buying directly from the UY site. I had problems with several of my DVDs and they replaced them without any questions. I didn't like the packaging, so I bought a case similar to what is used for XTrain to hold my DVDs.

Take one look at how 'cut' Travis' body is and you'll know you're not throwing in the towel. Discounts are offered quite often. I'd try the one from last week, it might still be good.

Lisa

Oh you enablers :)

Yes, the 'valentine' code still works today, I just used it :D

While Amazon has the set for $61 plus 3.99 S/H, I can't tell if it's just the DVDs or the entire set with all the goodies. And while there is a shop called 'ultimate yogi' that means nothing to me AND it's a new shop. I can open a shop called 'cathe' if I wanted on Amazon, what does that mean... sigh I don't trust anyone anymore :)

Oh you enablers :)

Yes, the 'valentine' code still works today, I just used it :D

While Amazon has the set for $61 plus 3.99 S/H, I can't tell if it's just the DVDs or the entire set with all the goodies. And while there is a shop called 'ultimate yogi' that means nothing to me AND it's a new shop. I can open a shop called 'cathe' if I wanted on Amazon, what does that mean... sigh I don't trust anyone anymore :)

I like a bargain as much as the next person, but after some time, I'm getting more things that I want to keep in my collection and appreciate customer support. I think if I would ever need a replacement disc I would be nice to be able to get another. You just can't do that with some discount sellers.

Enablers! All of you! I've been doing his Foundations now almost every day for 2 weeks. Noticed this morning I wasn't stiff getting up in the morning. And yesterday I woke up and found myself actually wanting to do yoga. Which is a huge change for me. Conversing with my sister and might go for it. I love I can come here and get honest and trusted opinions from people I know are in good physical condition!

p.s. I still got the giggles from Travis yesterday.

Another order

I've been on the fence but you've all talked me into it! How am I supposed to put together UY, Cathe and HC? Suggestions all welcome :)

LizC7, I understand your dilemma. I have been struggling with wanting to do it all. I LOVE "UY". I work out 7 days a week. One of my days is UY (wish it could be more). Here is what I am thinking based on what Coaccontant23 & Taterkc suggest on another thread, (open discussion - HC).
(I hope I understood correctly what they suggested. My apologies to them both if I'm wrong.)

Ths is very generic. QC = Quick cardio 20 mins approx. My QC includes Spinning intervals or Treadmill intervals. I have been staying away from High impact lately. My Cardio 45-60 mins is also Spinning or Tread.

Believe me I am no expert. I wish I could work more UY in but I only have approx. 60 mins a day to workout.

U-split
Legs/QC
U-split
UY
cardio 45-60 mins
HC
cardio 45-60 mins

or

HC
cardio 45-60 mins
HC
cardio 45-60 mins
TB
UY
cardio 45 -60 mins

Hope no one is laughing to hard. LOL I know this sounds crazy but sometimes I think I need more days in week.

Best of Luck to you. I would love for someone more experienced to chime in and fine tune the above rotations.

Sherry

How long are the sessions?

Hi Everyone
So I just got mine in the mail and am ready to start adding them to my rotation. How long are they? And THANKS for the suggestions earlier as well!

I've done crosstrain and cardio and getting ready to do strength. I'd say they come in around an hour and some a little more. Collage video had times listed for each disc but it didn't say which disc - just flood/standing yoga. I will tell you from the 2 I've done my arms were goners yesterday. There is a deep muscle ache in my shoulders. Yikes.

Here are the times I have noted:

Vitality - 68 minutes
Cross Train - 63
Strength - 64
Balance - 61 (my personal favorite)
Cardio - 60
Detox - 71
Flexibility - 70
Yin - 68
Gentle - 56
HardCore - 18

Lisa

I've never been much of a Yoga person, but I caved a while back and bought this for $100. I'm so glad I did, even at that price it was well worth it. I try to do at least one workout at least once per week. It's colder in my basement in the winter, so in the summer I will utilize the set more. It's great to do on those days when the body's just not ready for high impact or weights. I also do one of these workouts (especially Yin) when I really need to get some good sleep. I always sleep like a rock after doing a UY workout!:D

. It's colder in my basement in the winter, so in the summer I will utilize the set more.

Same here! I have not been able to use it much this winter tho I love it because it is just too freezing cold in my workout room. I am looking forward to the spring, summer when I can do a rotation.

Lisa - thanks for the times you noted. I did mountain pose today and it was 30 minutes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.