Another strength vs. endurance question...

mkunkel

Cathlete
I know you all are probably tired of this topic, but after reading all the discussions on this, I still have a question or two or three...

I'm saving up to order my first Cathe workouts - the Power Hour+ DVD and the PS series DVD (I think). I hear how you all do different rotations, some emphasizing strength, others emphasizing endurance. Can I do strength and endurance workouts in the same week - like MIS and PH, or MIS and BodyMax (which I think is endurance)?

And also, will doing a Pilates type video the same week as strength and/or endurance affect anything?

And one more thing, for a strength series, I'm torn between between PS and S&H. I know I'll eventually get both (at the least) but can't afford it right now. Which should I get first?

Thanks for any help you all can offer.

Hi mkunkel! I'll give ya' my opinion on this. I'm on a rotation right now that does strength 3 days and enurance 2 days. It looks like this:
MON- PS CST
TUES- PS SLA
WED- PS BBA
THURS-REST
FRI- Leaner legs or the legs portion of MIS
SAT- Upper body of BodyMax or MIS
SUN- REST
I think you can have both in the same week.Although My next two rotation will be one strenth only, and the next endurance only.
As for the pilates, I don't think it wil hurt anything so long as it's not on a weightlifting day. I do Power Yoga once a week (and that's all I can handle), but on a day I either don't do legs or if I'm feeling energtic on a rest day.
As for strength, I prefer the PS series. I have both. I love the PS Series, while I only like S&H. They're both good, that's just my prefence. Like my all time favorite is BodyMax, but alot of people like IMAX best.
Ok, I'm done giving my opinion:)! Hope I helped ya' some!
Aimee

You can do a strength series and an endurance workout in one week. Example-
Monday: PS cst AND biceps
Wednesday: PS legs AND back
Friday: Power hour
(cardio or rest on days in between)

Another option would be to leave out one of the ps workouts each week-do 2 of the 3, plus a power hour.

PS, power hour, and pilates in the same week would be overtraining in my opinion.

I would definitely start with ps over s/h. Both are great but p/s is more time-friendly and gives great results.

kath

Thank you Aimee and Kath. I just ordered the Power Hour DVD and the PS series DVD. A Christmas present to myself. I've been wanting these forever and couldn't wait anymore. I recently got layed off so I really should have waited, but I guess that's what credit cards are for. At least if I end up in the poor house, I'll be going in good shape. :)

Happy holidays!
Melissa

I think you'll like both of them. Especially PS Series :)!
I'm very sorry to hear about your job. I hope you get called back/find somethings else soon. It's rough, I know.
Happy Holidays to you too!!

Amiee

Maribeth, one of our resident experts, recommended that I work each body part twice a week - once for strength and once for endurance - to challenge both the fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers. I've found this to be very effective so far. I'm an ecto trying to gain maximum muscle - not concerned with fat loss.

I think you made the right decision getting PS before SH. There's a wider variety of exercises in the PS series.

I'm not familiar enough with Pilates to address that topic.

Enjoy your new workouts!

Angela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.