Another Sad Day - Update

SRP

Cathlete
Hi all - since you all were so helpful about giving suggestions when I posted that I might need to stop lifting weights, I thought I'd let you know what I've found out.

I saw an orthopedist, who did x-rays and said I have arthritis in both hands. So my self-diagnosis was wrong. :confused: Not surprising!

But I definitely need to make some lifestyle changes, including how I manage my strength training. Because there's no cure for osteoarthritis. You can try to minimize future wear and tear and alleviate the pain, but that's it. And I have my doubts about glucosamine supplements. Anybody have super-great results from that?

So, I'm really paying attention to what gives me the most trouble and then trying to find work-arounds in fitness and daily life. Just want to keep those hands going for as long as possible! :)

Shannon - I'm very sorry to hear about your arthritis. Something which may be worth considering is giving up vegetables in the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, aubergine and bell peppers - although I think there are others). I've heard of this because I keep bees, and I have a lady and her husband who come to visit to be purposely stung by the bees - they swear it removes all the pain. They're the ones that told me about the nightshade vegetables.

Read into that what you will!!!!

Take care,
Justine

Shannon,

I have severe osteoarthritis in my left hip and I take glucosamine supplement and have found out over the years that if I don't I hurt worse than I normally do. Along with that though I also take turmeric to help with the inflammation and I've had success with that. I was told by a holistic practitioner to remove wheat from my diet as it creates inflammation in the body. I've done that and do cheat a little here and there but not too much. The latest thing I've started using to see how it helps me is Silica Gel. I put two drops in my water 2x/day. I've been doing this for almost a week and I can tell it's helping. If you want to learn more about it do a internet search for Advanced Tachyon Technologies. I'm in the process of trying some other holistic approaches to help myself with the arthritis. If you'd like I can keep you posted. I have multiple tell me that I can get rid of my arthritis. I'm very skeptical but willing to give it a try.

Good luck with whatever you try to help your situation.

Brenda

I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since 1994 - My hands and wrists are really bad. My family says my hands could should be hired to work in a Haunted House! lol - that being said, I have decided that staying active is key. Also, lifting weights helps build bone density. I don't lift super heavy anymore, but I still lift. I always use super duty wrist wraps that help alot. I have learned to not bend my wrist at all when doing any lifting or pushups. I am sorry you are going through this, I know that arthritis of any kind just plain sucks.

As far as supplements, I have tried it all. Now, RA is alot different than ostheo, but I have tried a 6 month Raw, Vegan diet (so no gluten, dairy, or cooked, or meat) and it did nothing for my RA. I have tried watching my sugar which I feel does help. Too bad I LOVE dessert and chocolate so much! But we are all different, what may not work for me, may help you.

I hope you feel better soon!

I'm sorry for the arthritis in both hands Shannon.

Still, don't give up, continue to find things in order to help your arthritis.

There is a product called "Versa Gripps" which can help you lift weight and take the pressure off your wrists. Might want to check it out. I have them and they are remarkable. They look absolutely useless, but they are very useful. Here's a link to start you off. In their advertisement, they really don't show how they are used very well at all. I'm surprised they don't know this.

I've checked out some You Tubes and found one which explains and shows you how to use them.

Kate Gets Pro Versa Gripps - YouTube

This is where you can purchase them.
Versa Gripps® | The Official Site | Home

The advertisement have one for women and one for men. Get the Gripp for men. You will use it to put over barbells or dumbbells so get the longest one which is the Mans gripp.

Let me know what you think.

Janie

Last edited:
Justinef - you are amazing! Hens, bees?! Wow!! What else ya got? Good for you!!! You are AWESOME! :D

SRP - you are not alone. Many of us develop arthritis later in life, unfortunately. :( I have it in several areas of my body, and my hands are one of those areas. I see a naturopath and she has me on some herbal remedies, but I also take Glucosamine and Curcumin. She put me on a Paleo diet plan a couple of months ago because my blood glucose was higher than recommended. I know that we are all unique in our nutritional needs, but I will say that I do believe carbs and sugars aggravate arthritis as they are inflammatory. Since I've had to cut those from my diet, I can honestly say that my condition does not seem as bad as it had been previously. Now, the Glucosamine and Curcumin could also be responsible for the reduction in pain, however, I personally feel that it's important to reduce carb and sugar consumption for overall health. Good luck to you and don't give up! ;)

Ow!!! And I hear ya!!! I have arthritis in my knees, back, hips, wrists, elbows, and neck. I suspect in my shoulder, too. Basically, it it's a joint, it's there. No good.

I find that exercise really does help. Pushups aggravate my wrists, but I cna deal with it.

Over the counter pain meds work to some extent, but I don't like taking them all the time. I take Glucosamine/Chondrotin/MSM and it does seem to help. If I run out, I start to notice it after about a week. I also find that Devil's Claw helps. Again, if I run out, I have a couple days til I really start to hurt.

I've heard about tumeric, as a previous poster said. I've put it in my smoothies, but don't like the taste, so I was going to look for it at the store in capsule form.

The upside is, I can predict the weather with pretty good accuracy! :p The rain and thunder we have today was killing me last night. I generally feel better in the winter, and summer just hurts with the humidity.

Nan

Hi everyone - thanks so much for your support and replies. I figured I wasn't the only one out there. We're all getting older, huh? :rolleyes:

Justine - yes, I know that the nightshades are inflammatory. I've reduced them, but it's very hard to totally give up yummy potatoes and tomatoes! Sigh. I had cut back significantly a while ago, then really had a potato splurge. Oh my was it good. But yes, I am going to crack down more on the anti-inflammatory eating. :p No way am I getting stung by bees. No. Way. :D

Brenda - yes, please do keep me posted on your holistic research! And thanks for the tip on Silica Gel - never heard of it, and I will look into it. Also, good to know the glucosamine helps you. Turmeric I eat as a spice, not a capsule, along with those other great Indian spices, cumin, cinnamon, etc. - all are anti-inflammatory, and I love them in curries and stuff. YUM. Yes, I know wheat is inflammatory too. And I'm not happy about that. Right now I'd rather suffer than give up my homemade bread. :D Dang.

BackpackingMom - I'm so sorry about your RA. I understand that can be so much worse than osteo. Whew. I agree 100% about the sugar. I noticed immediate improvements in several things (including PMS!) when I cut that out. I think I'll run out and get some wrist wraps. Thanks!

Janie - Never fear, I won't give up! The Versa Gripps. Ugh. I tried those years ago and didn't like them at all. I do have good old fashioned lifting hooks, which help with back work and a few other lifts.

Complik8td - Paleo won't work for me since I'm a vegetarian, but I do agree that eating as naturally as possible is important. Curcumin ... is that's what's in cumin? I think so. Anyhow, I know it's in that spice group. Good stuff!

Nan - another vote for Glucosamine! Okay. Sounds like I should at least give it a try. Never heard of Devil's Claw - more research!

Ladies, again, thanks for all your help and suggestions. I wish you all well too, and that your own arthritis doesn't get any worse!!!

Oh, one thing about glucosamine. It's commonly derived from shellfish, and it seems I also remember hearing it could come from shark cartilage. As I said, I'm a vegetarian. So I've got some things to think about there. Me or the fish?

Justinef - you are amazing! Hens, bees?! Wow!! What else ya got? Good for you!!! You are AWESOME! :D

[

Oh yes, and goats, pigs, sheep, ducks, guinea fowl - the whole lot!!! We're doing the smallholding / homesteading / hobby farming thing. As a lifestyle choice - ha! Given the weather recently I'd rather be stuck in a heated office :confused:

Shannon - I made enquiries about the bee stings - apparently it's possible to buy the venom. I've no idea how that works though?? Injectable? In a capsule?

Justine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.