Another question about breastfeeding

shnikes18

Cathlete
Yes, I have another question. I posted below that my baby is sleeping for a long period at night. My problem is that when I wake up, my breasts hurt so bad because they are so full. Should I wake the baby to feed her, or should I just suffer until she wakes up? I don't want to interrupt her good night's sleep, but I am really in pain. Should I pump in the middle of the night rather than wake her? Thanks.

Emily

Are you happy with her weight gain?

If so - and it were ME, I would pump it. I had supply problems because my daughter spent 2.5 wks in the hospital after her birth and I didn't respond well to the pump. Thus, my night time prolactin levels (which really help to build up that supply) didn't do the right thing.

I think if this baby i'm carrying now sleeps like that through the night, I would probably get up and pump it out just so I could start building my supplyof reserve milk (in my fantasy world where I actually HAVE a supply of reserve milk).

However, if you don't want to do this, I think you should be okay - your body will eventaully stop making as much until she indicates a need for it. You may find she starts waking up again more at her 3 wk growth spurt!

She's regained her birthweight

So, I guess that means she's getting enough. I just tried an electric pump, and it hurts!! Is it supposed to hurt? My nipples are still tender from the baby, so maybe that's why pumping felt so uncomfortable.

RE: She's regained her birthweight

>supposed to hurt? My
>nipples are still tender from
>the baby, so maybe that's
>why pumping felt so uncomfortable.
>

What kind of pump? The evenflo minelectric pump is very bad! I've heard it call the nipple shredder.

I use the medela pump in style and the avent isis (hand). Hand expression is also quite effective and gentle. You don't NEED to do this - I mean - getting your sleep is good too!!

Hi Emily.
I had the same problem with my breasts when my daughter started sleeping through the night. This is what I did: I fed Maddie on one side and pumped the other. This way when she was done both breasts were empty. Much relief! I had a one sided Medela pump. At first it kind of hurt but then I got used to it and wouldn't even feel it.
GOod luck!
Connie

Typically, if you pump, you will continue producing that milk each night and will be uncomfortable. I've been told that if you are engorged you can put raw cabbage leaves in your bra to decrease the milk supply a bit. Don't leave them in too long, just long enough to get a little relief. Strange but tried and true. HTH! And congratulations :)

A different opinion

Personally, I would not pump because then your body will think that the baby is eating more often and produce even more milk, which will mean your breasts will get even fuller and more painful. It takes your body a while to adjust to the baby's demands, especially in the first couple of weeks. I would try cold compresses -- I believe you can even buy bras that have gel packs in them that you can take out and freeze.

Give it a little time and the supply-demand thing should work itself out.

RE: A different opinion

Coming from someone who has milked cows for a living-- it is all about supply and demand! If baby is sleeping leave well enough alone! My other 2 cents is: I had better luck pumping one side and nursing the other if I needed bottles for work/ outings etc. Use a Medela handheld.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.