Another Hawaii ? - Kauai - East or South

hedygs

Cathlete
We are planning a Xmas vacation in Hawaii. We have one week booked in Maui but seeing as DS has a long break this time and it is a huge trip, I thought maybe we could stay on another island a few days. DH wants to do Oahu for a couple of days in addition but I'm not that interested but maybe.

Anyway, I thought Kauai for four days and then off to Maui. I heard that the Poipu area is really nice but others have suggested the east side of the island instead. I know the Princeville area (north) is beautiful but in December all I have read says the ocean is too rough.

Any suggestions on where to stay in Kauai? Oh yes, I did consider the Big Island but someone said four days is not enough there because of its size.

TIA.

Like in another thread, skip Oahu unless you are making a pit stop and visit Waikiki and Pearl Harbor for a day or two. The south of Kauai will probably have a little more sunshine for you (but if you're not happy with some rain or clouds, wait five minutes and it will change!), but I think the east has more in terms of amenities. But everything in Kauai is relatively close, so it's not a big deal to go from Waimea or Poipu to Lihue or Kapaa. The north is my favorite place on earth, even in the winter. Bypass the Princeville area and keeping going down the road towards Haena. You can rent little cottages in the gardens or by the beach. True Hawaii!

I've been doing a bit of research on Oahu as we are planning a family trip there. Not my first choice of islands but circumstances have us going there. but I won't bore you with the details.

I have no interest in Honolulu, Waikiki and the Pearl Harbor thing so I went looking to see what else there is to do. North Shore, Leeward, and Windward area's look really nice and exhibit more of the natural Hawaii idea. So if you must go to Oahu you do have a lot more options than Honolulu.

I know nothing of Kauai so I cannot comment on that. Here is a great link for all things Hawaii. It suited me to a tee when we went to the big island. http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/special/index.html
Marta

These decisions become overwhelming after a while. I like that the east side properties seem to have sandy beaches while the south, not so much.

I guess we could do Oahu for a couple of days. I've been to Oahu several times so I have no desire but I guess if he really wants to go....

My husband and I took our two teenage daughters to Kauai last summer. We stayed at the Marriot Resort, the one by the airport, not Poipu. It was so beautiful. My kids were so bord on that island. But they are teenage girls and probably would not have been happy anywhere away from their friends! LOL... Kauai is really quite and peaceful though if that's what you're looking for. You can basically stay anywhere on that island and make day trips and see the whole thing. I think you can drive from one side to the other in a few hours. So basically it doesn't really matter what side you stay on.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.