(Another) Clean Eating question

Bobbi-B

Cathlete
Hi all,

My question for those of you who try to eat clean, particularly in regards to cutting out sugar, how clean is clean? I'm not sure if I'm over-thinking the following dilemma, and if I need to just chill out. Here's the deal:

I've been cleaning up my eating for the past six weeks, eating 5 to 6 times a day, lots of whole food and veggies, and I feel great, and am losing about 1 lb./week. My one hold-out has been my love of Luna Bars, and in reviewing my food logs of the past month, if it weren't for these bars of loveliness, I would be virtually sugar-free (a bit of ketchup here and there, sometimes a tsp. of agave in tea). I have a Luna Bar almost every day for my morning snack. I wonder if it's worth trying to give them up, or if they are keeping me from feeling deprived and craving sweets. I do have a giant sweet tooth and enjoy the Luna Bars a lot. I worry if I replaced them with, say, an apple and some walnuts, that I'd crave sweets and fall off the clean-ish wagon I'm on, but I guess the only way I'll find out is if I try.

On one hand, Luna Bars are processed food and contain sugar, on the other hand they're organic and have about 12g of sugar... if that's all the sugar/processed food I'm getting per day, am I being too perfectionistic in thinking they've gotta go?

I know this is all opinion, do what works for you, etc. but I'm curious how other people perceive this. Thanks!

It sounds to me you found something that works for you, doesn't seem broke to me, I would not try and fix it :D

As someone who has been having a hell of a time finding something to lose some weight, if I found something that I not only enjoy BUT also drop a pound a week, I'd be all over it.

Unless you have a real allergy to it, I just don't think the actual amount of sugar you are ingesting is really going to negatively affect your health and it seems to make your day enjoyable.

My personal opinion, I would keep it.

I could suggest an alternative to luna bars: lara bars. I used to eat luna bars all the time, until I read they are basically candy bars. Plus there are some chocolate flavored lara bars :)

If they are not effecting your cravings.
I use to eat them daily but I've always suffered with cravings. I lost weight eating them (restricting calories), but I would yo-yo.

My husband and I cleaned up our diet completely....no processed food 6 days a week. We eat nothing but single ingredient foods (protein, nuts, fresh fruit & veggies, healthy oils). My one cheat at the end of the week is kashi turtle roll.
We both turned 49 this year, and I guess you could say we are going through a mid-life something.... Can't call it crisis.
I've decided I'm not going to focus on the scale but pay attention to my body comp. I want to see what truly clean eating will do for me at this age. Is it calories in and calories out, or are we truly what we eat?
I can tell you processed food has not done any favors for my body comp.

Four months into eating this way I realize how poorly my body has been responding to processed food.
Eating whole foods has changed everything! I no longer count calories or time my meals. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I feel fantastic!
First thing people ask us....what are you doing? Second question...don't you miss the processed food? The answer is- NO!
It's crazy, but I don't. Luna sent me a free sample last week and I tossed it in the trash. It just doesn't work for me anymore.

fit44,

Like you, I have cut out almost all processed foods - eating lean protein, complex carbs (oatmeal, brown rice), fruits, veggies, nuts and healthy oils in olive oil and avocado. It's been a gradual process over the last 6 months.

This past week, however, I've gone all out and I already notice a difference.

But I have had cravings for some old favorite foods.

You said that you eat non-processed foods 6 days a week.... what do you eat on the 7th day? I worry that I would pig out on junk and ruin the good work of the other 6 days :eek:

Susan

You said that you eat non-processed foods 6 days a week.... what do you eat on the 7th day? I worry that I would pig out on junk and ruin the good work of the other 6 days :eek:

No binging at all! We decided the 7th day would be for one cheat meal (dinner out w/ wine & dessert), not a day of eating bad.. A kashi turtle roll is the only cheat I've wanted and we started this in May. I think it has everything to do with the way my body is responding to the nutrient dense food. In the beginning I had cravings for the old food, but my desire to change was stronger.

That sounds like a great plan... thanks !!!

I could do Chinese take-out once a week..... or do Sunday brunch out.... or make a favorite food at home that I wouldn't eat the other 6 3/4 days a week.

I'll give it a try....

Thanks for sharing, Fit44. I'm wondering how processed food affects my body comp, too. I'm 43 and I have never eat super-clean for long enough to see how it would help me with the jiggle that hides my nice ab and glute muscles! Luna bars don't affect my cravings, in fact I think they keep me from going in sugar withdrawal, but I'm wondering if I'm in a transition place along the way to eating even cleaner. Maybe my next stop will be replacing Luna bars with Lara bars, and see how that goes. I've been having a cheat meal per week, where I'll have a glass or two of wine and maybe dessert. (For example we're going to a friend's house for dinner tomorrow, and I'm bringing dessert. I'm going to make a spelt carrot cake. It will have lots of sugar and oil in it. Can you say cheat meal!?)

Bobbi-B, you are doing an awesome job! To be losing a pound a week is great and eating clean takes discipline. If you really love your Luna bars then just eat 1/2 of one instead of a whole and save for the next day. You will savor and enjoy each bite more! When it's time to let them go and move on, you will...

Fit44: "We eat nothing but single ingredient foods (protein, nuts, fresh fruit & veggies, healthy oils)."

You do not mention bread, whole grain (wheat, oats, rice, barley, etc.) or wheat products. Does your clean eating regimen exclude those items???

Sounds like fit44 is following a more primal/paleo WOE, which would exclude grains if that is indeed what she is following. Bread really is a processed food, and wheat just has not apparent health benefits, more negatives from what I have read. Not saying I don't eat it, but I know I would be better off without it.

Bobbi, if you decide to drop the Luna bars, I can attest, those Lara bars ARE awesome, I have to be very strict with them, I could eat them all day, Cherry pie and Cashew cookie, yum!

You do not mention bread, whole grain (wheat, oats, rice, barley, etc.) or wheat products. Does your clean eating regimen exclude those items???

Oats, but no wheat and rice. I'm very carb sensitive.

Last edited:
Sounds like fit44 is following a more primal/paleo WOE, which would exclude grains if that is indeed what she is following. Bread really is a processed food, and wheat just has not apparent health benefits, more negatives from what I have read. Not saying I don't eat it, but I know I would be better off without it.

Bobbi, if you decide to drop the Luna bars, I can attest, those Lara bars ARE awesome, I have to be very strict with them, I could eat them all day, Cherry pie and Cashew cookie, yum!

Yes, modified paleo. No bread or dairy. I will eat oats post workout on occasion(well, plan to;)), but for the past 4 months I've had no desire to eat it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have checked into various "clean" programs and am having a problem figuring out how to get enough protein. I do not like meat and I can't make myself eat it. So I use eggs/egg whites, protein powder made from brown rice or hemp, and beans & rice/whole grains. The paleo program focuses a lot on meat and doesn't want you to include beans, and other programs don't allow eggs. All of them want you to eliminate wheat, wheat glutin and other grains, while some allow brown rice, oats, quinoa, amarinth, etc. I followed Dr. Junger's "Clean Program" for a while and my skin improved a great deal in just a week or so, but that is not something I can stay on for a long period of time without some modification. I guess the answer is some degree of modification of any of the programs to fit your own lifestyle. It sounds like wheat is a big no-no in all of these programs, though, and I was just curious if you excluded that in your personal plan--that seems to be working for you and your hubby. Thanks much.

MissL,

I agree, I think you have to do what works for you.
Paleo type eating works for me because I'm extremely carb sensitive. For the first time in my life I'm not counting calories and I'm not walking around craving, starving.. I feel great!
Although, I think my eating style is closer to Dr. Johnny Bowden's recommendations.

Amazon.com: The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What You Should Eat and Why (9781592332281): Jonny Bowden Ph.D. C.N.S.: Books

I do read Mark's daily apple (Primal eating) for ideas & inspiration. :)

I agree that you should stick with what's working for you. I just wanted to add that I used to eat Luna bars also, but had to stop when my doc said my iron level was too high. I switched to Larabars and the problem went away. However, I'm all for having a few processed foods as part of your eating plan if you're overweight and they help you lose. My DH just lost 20 lbs. without giving up processed foods, and his health has improved drastically!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.