Another Ab question

momincharge

Cathlete
Okay I know this is probably the most common area preg women ask about, but I still have to ask. I know the ab suggestion for all fours ( and will be using it soon) ,but wondered if it is OK to do abs in a seated position. The exercise has you lean back and hold on with your abs ( only as far back as is comfortable) and then return to seated position. You can also lean back and come up at an angle to incorporate obliques. Would this be detrimental in any way during preg-- babywise or injury wise? Also, what is the recommended time to discontinue using the supine position in any exercise. Seems like it used to be at the 5th month but I think I have been reading the 4th these days? One more question unrelated to abs. Is it normal to need to decrease wts during strength training as you get further along in preg? This will be the 1st preg I have gone through where I feel as if I am more serious about strength training. Was really seeing some GREAT results after 1 1/2 yrs of MIS, BodyMax and the PS series ( think that is probably how I ended up in THIS condition AGAIN!-- thanks Cathe!). Don't want to lose conditioning, but want to be safe. Excuse the length-- guess I wanted to know more than I thought. Thanks for any insight-- I appreciate it!

"another ab question"

Hey momincharge, I have read about that exercise
in fit pregnancy I to would like to know if it is
safe. This is my first time posting however I've
been keeping up with post for a while, you women are so dedicated and inspiring it makes me want to go workout right now. Momincharge how far along are you and how do you keep up, I am 33 wks & work full time this will be our 5th between my husband
& I. There are days I feel like bag it I'll just
blimp out and be a homely ponytail wife, I can't
keep going, then I go workout and feel much better emotionally and physically.

Domestic Engineer

I "bagged" it years ago after my 2nd child who is now 8. I pickup occasional part-time work for the extras as needed.I substitute teach, have been known to do a paper route, and even teach aerobics! I am about 12 weeks-- just coming out of the yucky stage and back to working out 4-5 times a week. Had a few weeks in there that I could only make 2 a week. I just have to keep moving. There are so many people depending on me. The exercise I do for myself-- it is the only way that I keep some sense of self in the midst of everyone elses' needs.Of course they ALL benefit from having a healthy, happy wife and mom. When things get hairy I just prioritize. Sometimes exercise gets put at the bottom of the list or waits until 10 pm. I know my first and foremost duty is to my husband and children then I make a list from there and do the BEST I can! Nice to know I'm not the only one out there trying to juggle almost 6 kids alnog with the rest of life. Sometimes you feel like such an odd bird and no one knows what it is like to be in your shoes. Isn't it comforting to realize we are all completing a cycle of life that has been lived time and time again!

keeping motivated

Thanks so much for responding I think it's great
that there is someone else somewhat in the same
shoes, me and my husband are in law enforcement and sometimes exercise is a release for me but
you know how it is with kids somedays that release
is not an option I just ordered the cathe tapes
mic and mis I will be slowly trying them out when
I am not in this condition, I can't wait to get
started it sounds like they are really good by the
way everyone rants and raves about them. Thanks
for responding (domestic engineer-I love it!)

Seated abdominal modifications / Weights

Hi Momincharge,

Congratulations on your pregnancy. As for your abdominal exercise question… When you perform the exercise that you asked about (seated and leaning back) you are challenging the hip flexors a great deal more than your abdominals. However, if you add resistance, such as a pillow or ball behind you it will work much better at challenging the abdominal muscles, which is your intent. If you lean back against an exercise ball or a firm pillow, which is anchored against a wall, you can concentrate on shortening the abdominal muscles against the resistance of the pillow or ball. Biomechanically, this version is better at training the abs rather that the just leaning back from a seated position with nothing to press against. You can also work obliques using this technique.

My recommendation for the cessation of supine exercise is the same as that of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. According to their February 1994 Guidelines all supine work should be stopped after the first trimester of pregnancy (i.e. after you finish your 13th week). After the first trimester the growing uterus is potentially big enough to interfere with the blood supply coming back up from the lower extremities and therefore decrease blood flow back out of the heart and therefore to the baby. I know there is a lot of other information out there, but I use the ACOG guidelines.

As for your question regarding decreasing your weights… I would advise you to listen to your body. It sounds like a “cop out" answer on my part, but it is the best advice that I can give you. My concern is that this is your 6th pregnancy and relaxin seems to exert its effects more in subsequent pregnancies. Your hormonally loosened joints may not be able to handle as much weight as you get farther along. You will just have to “play it by ear.” I would continue with your present schedule and use common sense as your guide. I have worked with pregnant bodybuilders who did not have to decrease their weights at all and on the other hand I have worked with women who have had multiple pregnancies and had to decrease their weights in the third trimester. I trust that you will fall somewhere in between.

Take care and keep in touch,

Sheila

This clears things up!

Thanks so much for replying! I have found that I get in a "comfort zone" because I have been through this b4. However, I know it has been different with each and there are always new things out there. It is nice to keep on top of things. I will be sure to try your modifications on the abs along with the abs on all 4's you have listed b4. I know I will not have flat abs(boy is that an understatement) but I just can't see stopping them completely since they help that lower back and will be used in pushing. Will try to keep in tune on lifting as you suggested. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.