Anchorage folks in Cathe Nation?

mom2kttj

Cathlete
My husband has been offered a job in Anchorage. I have never been to AK. Any advice on looking for house to buy, rent or real estate agents would be much appreciated.

Sarah

Eagle River is a nice place to live. I lived there for 3 years. It was so beautiful! I stayed on Post so I don't know about other areas than Eagle River. I would go there for my weight watchers meetings...

Greetings!
We just moved to Anchorage this year as well, same reason. I had to leave my job for the move, but just recently, I was successful finding new employment. We are currently renting until we have the job history to buy here, so I don't know any real estate agents to recommend but I can get some names!

One thing about living in Alaska: the cost of living is very high. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but the cost of shipping makes goods very expensive. It took me awhile to get over sticker shock and start buying food when I first got here! Housing costs are also VERY high, and my understanding is that property taxes are fairly astronomical as well. The housing crash didn't really hit here, so those dirt-cheap homes you can find elsewhere in the nation aren't part of the picture. And travel is costly too. When evaluating the job offer, look into these things!

One thing it is very possible to do here, due to market conditions, is to buy a duplex or four-plex and live in one unit while renting out the others to greatly offset/ virtually eliminate your personal housing costs.

If you don't mind a commute, home values are going to be much more reasonable in outlying areas... Eagle River/ Chugiak to the north, Girdwood to the south. (Girdwood is much farther away from Anchorage than Eagle River. Some people make that commute each day and love it. Beautiful scenery! I wouldn't want to, but it is done...) I know one couple that lived in Eagle River for awhile but moved back to town b/c the commute in the winter time drove them nuts. The two towns are connected only by a two-lane highway, no other routes, so if there is an accident, a normally half-hour commute can easily become two hours or more.

The neighborhood we are in was recommended to us as a good area for moderately-priced homes, but still a nice neighborhood. It is called Roger's Park, located in midtown. Lots of nice neighbors here! We have gotten to know a handful of them pretty well, and regularly are greeted by several others on walks. It is also right next to the beautiful Chester Creek trail, which in turn is connected to a whole network of gorgeous paths throughout town. In wintertime, the trails are groomed regularly and are awesome for cross-country and skate-skiing.

The really upper-scale parts of town tend to be concentrated in South Anchorage.

Alaska is a beautiful state, but living here can be a huge shock to your system. It's a big adjustment. The best advice I have received regarding surviving the long cold winters is: get out! Go sledding, skiing, fat-tire biking, snowshoeing, whatever! Also, if you are not familiar with living in bear and moose country, some safety training would be beneficial.

Hope at least some of that is helpful!

Thanks for your replies. Turns out my husband's company and us couldn't come to a financial agreement. So the move has fallen through. I am crushed. I had romantized AK, since I was a kid actually, and hopefully someday it will still be in our families future. Thanks for your time.

Sarah

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.