An apology & retraction to the forum & Amy Bento

LauraMax

Cathlete
I learned a lesson. I should not review a workout based on a preview. I should not review a workout until I've actually done it.

So, the negatives still stand--her form is pretty poor & what I've discovered after actually doing the workout is the sequencing is extremely awkward--the moves don't flow very well from one to another which makes good form difficult. The other downside to keeping good form is the fast pace of the moves--it's hard to throw a good punch or kick when you're doing them that fast.

The positives: it's a butt kicking cardio workout. Taking the kickboxing factor out of it & looking at it from the cardio perspective only, I was sweating my rear off & gasping for breath 10 minutes into the workout. I was surprised to find myself thinking "darn, this chick's intensity is Cathe's level, even higher than some of Cathe's workouts."

I know Amy's relatively new at this & is on a learning curve, but I'd say for her first attempt she did extremely well & am looking forward to her future products.

Again, my apologies for reviewing something without having all the info. I should know better. x(

Laura,

I did this workout on Friday for the third time. I really like it. The choreography is a little complex so I'm still learning but my heart is really pumping throughout the whole workout.

She seems very down to earth and I like that :)

No worries, I did this workout for the first time today and like you said I was sweating good very early on. The choreography is complex with some of the combos especially the first one, but I got it on the 2nd one then it kinda went downhill, I followed the pregnant modifier a lot of the time.

It is a great cardio workout and I can't wait to try the premixes.

All I did of it was the workout up until the core work and it was 69 min. so it is a very long intense workout to say the least. I think if you just keep moving and not concentrate soo much on the moves or punches that you will still get a very good workout from this one.

Just to add my 2 cents:

I did this workout on Saturday and last week did a few of the combos after previewing it a few times.

I agree that some of the moves are awkward and the choreography doesn't flow like Cathe and was even plain weird at points--but the cardio intensity is great.

I really liked that my HR stayed up for the entire workout. I found that I could modify or reorder some of the KB sequences that seemed odd or unworkable. It will take me some time to memorize my modifications -- but I think the workout is a keeper.

-Barb
:)

I've been going back and forth about ordering this one for a while now. I did preview the workout on her website and while her form is pretty bad the workout looked pretty good. I'm still thinking about it though because Tracey Staehle's new kickboxing workout looks great so I may go that way instead, but back to the subject of Amy. I did finally cave and order her Hi/Lo workout and I absolutely LOVE IT. I not a big fan of hi/lo normally, but this one is really good.

Ciddy, get the kickbox workout. It makes the hi/lo seem like a walk in the park. Seriously, this is some intense cardio.

Laura,
I wasn't crazy about this workout until I did it. I couldn't believe how intense it was, I was sweaty, sweaty, sweaty!!! I think she is just going to get better and better as time goes on. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

A friend in fitness,
Shirl

Hi Laura,
I totally agree with you. I am an aerobics instructor and personal trainer and agree about eveything you said. I found it vey difficult to follow her, she would count down using the number 1 not giving one enough time to change direction , etc. But, the cardio emphasis was good, she definately has great endurance.

Bridget

You ladies are starting to talk me into spending more money. How intense is the kickboxing workout? It's so hard to tell from the clips just how intense the workout really is. The only thing I'm somewhat concerned about is having to modify a lot of her moves. I don't mind doing that on some of it, but I don't want to have to make a lot changes through the entire workout.

I agree it is a bit awkward in parts and a bit hard to catch onto....but I love Amy's personality and I love her intensity. She's really got amazing energy. She seems to have a good sense of humor about herself also.

I admire Amy because she only does the Fitness Videos on the side. She has a full time "normal" job and is also a nutritionist and teaches classes in the evenings. I think she'll continually improve. She seems to listen to her customers and her Xtreme workouts were slightly better than her initial offerings. I think she has a bright future. She is one of my favorite instructors right up there with Cathe.

'06 was a good year --- with instructors like Amy, Tracey Staehle and Kelly Coffey.

I'm previewing this workout now....another plus seems to be the music...love it! I've just gotten to the first combo. I enjoy the hi/lo also. I'm actually looking now to go ahead and trade for or purchase 3 of her shorter workouts: Advanced Step Challenge, Cardio Pump Step, and Cardio Pump Hi/Lo. I'm late to the Amy Bento party for other reasons, but she is making some awesome workouts!
Angela:7

Quick question, how much jumping would you say is in this workout? I'm battling plantar fascitiis and can't jump right now. Thanks!
--Jennifer :)

>Quick question, how much jumping would you say is in this
>workout? I'm battling plantar fascitiis and can't jump right
>now. Thanks!
>--Jennifer :)

If you are asking about the Kickbox Xtreme workout then honestly if you follow the modifier it would be doable with PF. I have it too and while I am not in a flare up now, step hurts my PF worse than kickboxing does. The modifier is also very obviously pregnant so she does little to no jumping.

Hope that helps.

i loved this workout (warts and all) so much i immediately ordered advanced step challenge and i have to say i can't stop doing it

its really fun, i only had to modify her crazy shuffle into cathes fast-foot shuffle from step jump and pump. its really intense.

what i really like is NO BREAKDOWN

she teaches the 4 hardest moves in a preview and during the routine she just gives you a lot of repeats to catch on

i wish cathe would do a no-breakdown step dvd or would offer a premix of just 6-8 repeats of the combo after its all taught

thats my two cents on amy bento

Thank you Annette! Step also bothers my PF worse than kickboxing. I was doing so much better and then my custom orthotics arrived and made my feet WORSE!! Can you believe that?? They were sent back to the company to be remade with a less rigid material. Anyway, now I'm right back where I started (maybe even worse) when it all began. For about a month I was able to do Cathe's new workouts except Drill Max. I was so happy. Now I have to take it real easy and just do kickboxing and spinning for cardio for a while. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!
--Jennifer :)

I was just about to give up on my Amy Bento workouts and was thinking of either trading them or selling them on Ebay. I've tried Kickbox Xtreme twice now, and have previewed it a few times, and just cannot fall in love with the workout. Although, the two times I did it, I did sweat like mad, so I know it is a good cardio workout. I find I prefer a workout I can do as instructed, instead of having to modify soo much. After reading this thread, I think I'll try it again, maybe with more of an open mind, lol.

Iris

Iris--
I started with just a few of the combos at a time, seeing if I could work modifications in. Maybe you could add a few combos on to the end of another cardio workout or as a warm up on a weight day instead of tackling the whole tape at once?

I think the tape offers some good work for the legs -- I thought she does relatively more kicking continuously in a way that both worked and loosened my leg muscles in a helpful way.

just a thought.
-Barb
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.