An 11 Year Old Charged with Drunk Driving....

roses_92123

Cathlete
How? What? Where are the parents here???? How can a child even get ahold of the car...much less the alcohol? I am just speechless over this article.

MIAMI (Reuters) - An 11-year-old girl was charged with drunken driving after leading police on a chase at speeds of up to 100 mph that ended when she flipped the car in an Alabama beach town.

A video camera in the police car captured the look of surprise on the officer's face when he approached the wrecked car and got a look at the motorist.

The Mobile Press-Register newspaper said the patrolman saw the Chevrolet Monte Carlo speeding and flashed his lights to signal the driver to stop. Instead, the car sped faster, traveling at up to 100 mph (160 kph) before sideswiping another vehicle and flipping over in the Gulf Coast town of Orange Beach, Alabama, on Tuesday night.

The young driver, who lived nearby in Perdido Key, Florida, was treated at a hospital for scrapes and bruises and released to relatives. Police also charged her with speeding, leaving the scene of an accident and reckless endangerment.

The car belonged to a relative and police were still trying to find out where she got the alcohol. There was none in the vehicle but her blood alcohol level was over the limit for adult motorists, police told the newspaper.

The story I read said that the girl told police she was on her way to pick up her sister from a concert. I was totally shocked and appalled by this article. She's darned lucky she wasn't killed or did not kill anyone else.

I was shocked by this, too, and agree - charge the parents!

~Cathy

"I always loved running...You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
-Jesse Owens

Folks, if you don't believe 11 and 12year olds are drinking and doing drugs, wake up. The car incident is probably a child way out of control, and since they did not mention the parents, perhaps they are already MIA. However, kids this young DO get a hold of alchohol, and from what I remember of being 12, it is not that hard....

I am a middle school teacher and am well aware of substance use at young ages, but drinking and driving incidents at this age are, to my knowledge, rare. For an intoxicated 11-year-old girl to lead police on a 100+ MPH chase is startling to me. If the parents are not on the scene, then the legal guardian(s) should be held responsible.

Cathy :)

"I always loved running...You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
-Jesse Owens

The quality of parenting that used to be the "norm" is no longer. Parents don't raise their kids the way they used to. The kids have no fear of authority and allowed to do way too much too soon!

I see little kids out on the streets playing w/o adult supervision. I see kids of all ages roaming the streets after dark. In just the past couple of years 2 kids in my town have been hit and killed by motorists because they are allowed to "roam free" and apparently haven't even been taught the proper way to cross the street! I find it repulsive the way our children are being raised.

I am NOT saying that EVERY parent is like this but I find it disturbing how many are...Even my own SIL and BIL are not tough enough on their kids IMO. Their son has had a wise/nasty mouth and attitude since the day I met him and he was only maybe 8 years old! Now if your 8 year old is going to think nothing of talking back to you I think there's a problem there. Those kids are now 11 and 14 and are perfect examples of how I am raising my son NOT to be!

So anyway, my point...even though, to me, this is an EXTREME case...it's not all too surprising to me and it makes me very sad and very angry....;( x(

The driving yes, the drinking no. I would bet these parents are not on the scene and this kid has been going bad for awhile.

>Folks, if you don't believe 11 and 12year olds are drinking
>and doing drugs, wake up. The car incident is probably a
>child way out of control, and since they did not mention the
>parents, perhaps they are already MIA. However, kids this
>young DO get a hold of alchohol, and from what I remember of
>being 12, it is not that hard....

not saying i don't believe kids this age are getting into heavy things. but maybe its time to punish the parents as well, they chose to bring a life into the world but refuse any responsibilty in givng guidance or good role models. but whoever is "caring" for this child should have some personal responsibilty. kids emulate what they see, and if all they see is drinking,drugs,violence, and sex that is what they are going to think its the norm

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://images.meez.com/user03/06/01/04/060104_10010099873.gif

Oh, I agree - I have worked in urban and suburban school systems and could share countless horror stories. And what infuriates me is that many folks seem to expect the school system to be able to straighten 'em out. Example: a few months ago, in response to several incidents of school violence, a local resident wrote to the newspaper, suggesting that teachers' lack of classroom control is the root of the problem. No, poor parenting is the root of the problem. If a child has had no guidance or supervision at home for 13 years and has not been taught to respect others and value his/her education, do people honestly believe the kid will arrive to school and behave appropriately, automatically respecting the teacher as an authority figure? Even when you begin to make progress with many of the kids who come from rough home lives, very often the good that you do during the day unravels when the child returns home to chaos.

Cathy :)

I hate when people try to blame it on the school. It starts with the parents/guardians. They are the most important element. If they do not do their job in raising these kids right how can the schools/teachers be expected to keep them under control? It's not right.

A little OT but on the same parenting issue. An elderly woman who writes for our local paper just did an article on our generation (30-40 year olds) who have been tagged with the title of helicopter parents because we're always hovering over our children. She goes on to rant that we don't allow our kids to ride bikes or go to the park by themselves, that we're way too involved in our kids schools and social lives. I feel in this climate we're living in has forced us to becomes overprotective and to be anything but is negligent. I think I need to write a rebuttal to this woman. I could use this article or the one about the 10 and 12 y/o girls who tried to kidnap a baby. I guess I would rather be seen as overprotective, rather that negligent.

There is just sooo much wrong with this!
Where did she get the alcohol?
How did she end up driving (and how did she know how to)?
Why did she speed up?

Somebody besides the girl needs to be charged with something.

I agree with what everyone is saying about parenting, but I also have something else to add. When I was growing up we had a ton of stay-at-home moms looking out for us. If I did something bad, and Debbie's mom caught me, she did not hesitate to tell my mom (and perhaps swat my butt for good measure). Then my mom or dad would take over and ground me or whatever. Breaking rules had consequences and there were dozens of eyes on all of us to make sure rules were followed.

I honestly do not think our world has gotten worse. I think we have become too solitary in our lives. How many of us actually know our neighbors enough to have them over for cocktails? Our kids cannot go out and play, not because people have gotten worse over time, but because the neighborhood and the many eyes watching the kids and who are prepared to make sure the kids are watched over, safe and even punished if required have vanished. If my mom noticed some stranger lurking on our street, she would go out an investigate - talk to him, make sure he knew he had been seen, and she would keep an eye on him. And if he got out of control, there were 3 or 4 other mothers (and some dad's who worked from home) ready to step in. Now if we notice some stranger lurking on the street we think it's none of our business. I'm not saying that all mothers should stay at home - not at all. I honestly don't know what to do at this point, but I think our kids need the village again to help raise them. And that village cannot be afraid to talk to the parents and tell them when the kid did something bad.

Of course - over indulgent or negligent parents don't help. But our society has changed and not for the better in my opinion.

>The quality of parenting that used to be the "norm" is no
>longer. Parents don't raise their kids the way they used to.
>The kids have no fear of authority and allowed to do way too
>much too soon!
>
>I see little kids out on the streets playing w/o adult
>supervision. I see kids of all ages roaming the streets after
>dark. In just the past couple of years 2 kids in my town have
>been hit and killed by motorists because they are allowed to
>"roam free" and apparently haven't even been taught the proper
>way to cross the street! I find it repulsive the way our
>children are being raised.
>
>I am NOT saying that EVERY parent is like this but I find it
>disturbing how many are...Even my own SIL and BIL are not
>tough enough on their kids IMO. Their son has had a
>wise/nasty mouth and attitude since the day I met him and he
>was only maybe 8 years old! Now if your 8 year old is going
>to think nothing of talking back to you I think there's a
>problem there. Those kids are now 11 and 14 and are perfect
>examples of how I am raising my son NOT to be!
>
>So anyway, my point...even though, to me, this is an EXTREME
>case...it's not all too surprising to me and it makes me very
>sad and very angry....;( x(

And then what makes it really hard is when you are the parent who has control, you look like a freak because your kid is not allowed to roam the town at 12. Crazy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.