Amy Dixon Breathless Body

marianimal

Cathlete
Has anyone else done this workout? I just got it and have done it twice now. Holy smoke this is a killer Tabata workout!
There are 8 different drills. You do each one 8 times for 20 seconds with a 10 second rest in between. They are killer. I did the intervals at level 2 and 3 but on the butt kick interval I was really tempted to go down to level 1 on the butt kick drill.
Just wanted to let anyone know if you are looking for a really challenging Tabata workout, this is it!

thanks for your review. I've been looking at Amy Dixon lately because I have never tried anything of hers. I've been wondering which one to try - super fit bod, breathless body and/or give me 10 more. Breathless body looks tough.

I've had this one for a while. It's really tough. I've even listed it on one of the "most dreaded workout" threads, not because is so dang hard, but because it does get a bit repetitious during each round. Occasionally I move down to level 2 just because I want to do some thing else. Oh, and I can't do level 3 of the butt kicks either...criminy!

Otoh, this is an AWESOME cardio workout. If u can do the HiiTs you can do this....it's the next level of intensity.

I don't do this workout as often as I might for two reasons. First, the boredom factor I mentioned above...again, this isn't a boring workout, its just that after about 6 intervals I want to do something else, but I also hate doing less than I know I can...feels like cheating. Second, it's so high impact that I'm worried that if I do it too much I might injure myself. I never feel that way after HiiT workouts, but almost always feel that way after BB.

another bonus...no equipment needed, just your sneakers and an extra set of lungs. :).

Hi Trixoo-
Guess I haven't had the boredom factor yet as I just got the DVD. But there are several times during the workout when Amy says "ok that's 3 sets down" or "we're half way there" and I think "Can you not count, AMY?" That has to be at least number 6 or 7!!!"

You guys intrigued me... I bought it.. it should be here in a couple days. Looks good, hard but I could see how it could be repetative.

I have this one and love it. It's a perfect cardio finisher for strength days when you want to get a bit of cardio in. I rarely do the whole workout but will often just choose 2,3, or 4 of the intervals and call it a day. I try to keep it from being repetitive by alternating between the 3 levels throughout the interval. Of course, that's partially because there is no way I could do level 3 the whole time!:eek:

I have it and love it, looking forward to the second one! I can understand how some people would get bored with it but it doesn't me. I'm getting my butt kicked and "enjoying" it. :p

I have it and love it, looking forward to the second one! I can understand how some people would get bored with it but it doesn't me. I'm getting my butt kicked and "enjoying" it. :p

sadie i agree with u.....it does not make me bored....it makes me want to be up for the challenge to see how much i can do.....even tho when she says ok that's 4 down and four to go....i'm like u have got to be kidding me....b/c depending on which one we're doing i feel like i'm about to swallow my lungs....lol.....so i definitely "enjoy" it when i do it:)

marianimal said:
Hi Trixoo-
Guess I haven't had the boredom factor yet as I just got the DVD. But there are several times during the workout when Amy says "ok that's 3 sets down" or "we're half way there" and I think "Can you not count, AMY?" That has to be at least number 6 or 7!!!"

For me it's when the 6th and 7th 10 second intervals come...I SWEAR she only let's us rest 2 seconds. This what it feels like anyway!

Even though I find it somewhat repetitious, I'm still banging out this workout because it's awesome. Whoever said they wish she'd make a second, I agree and I'd buy it without question, BUT I so wish she'd do, say, 4 rounds of one thing then the remaining 4 rounds something else just to mix it up....but NOT to make it easier (what would be the point of that?!?). Of course, that's not true to the tabata protocol, so I suppose that's why she doesn't do it, darn it.

To the person who just ordered this, hope you love it!

I like this workout but definitely don't love it. It's tough, but not as tough as, say, Cathe's HIIT or IMAX 3. It's truly a Tabata workout but it is very boooooring to me (the repetition is mind numbing), so I rarely reach for it. It's just not fun to me. :-(
Amy seems like a great instructor and I'm willing to try her other stuff, but Breathless Body is a nonstarter for me.

Hey, I just saw on Collage hat Amy has released a Breathless Body 2. Has anybody ordered it? If so, I'd love to hear what you think!

Me too {want to know if anyone has tried her 2nd tabata workout). The description of her latest sounds like it might avert some of that "boredom factor" that some people mentioned.

I ended up getting this one to get a true TABATA workout for at home. I LOVE it! I mix up what level I'm doing and don't get bored. As I get older I'm really liking shorter, more intense workouts-like this one and Cardio Supersets and Afterburn. Yesterday I did Circuit Blast from the Shock Cardio series. Wow! Another great metabolic workout if you ask me! Can't wait for the new DVDs from Cathe.

Beth

I have this DVD (Breathless Body 2) and I really like it. I've only done it once as I just got it a week ago, but it was a challenging and engaging workout. I think it is on par with quite a few of Cathe's workouts, but not as difficult as some of her toughest. That said, I liked it better than the HIIT workouts because it's 50 minutes long or so. Those 30 minute workouts always make me feel like I'm slacking off.

I have not seen the first version of this tape, but my understanding is that it is very repetitious. This one has blocks of three exercises which you repeat three times. There's 30 seconds of activity followed by 15 seconds of rest for each exercise in each round, then you take a 60 second rest. There are four rounds like this. The last drill of the workout puts all of the 30 second exercises together into a continuous set with no rest, so that's 6 minutes of going full speed with no break. That was great. I am definitely looking forward to doing this workout a lot. Amy is not annoying and is in excellent shape. The background exercisers are realistic, they get tired and work hard too, which I appreciate as well. I highly recommend this for a Tabata style workout, which I, too, have been looking to add to my collection for a while.

It even has three levels for those who may not like the impact level of some of the drills. It is high impact, but there's always a low impact modifier being done, which for many of you will make this a keeper since not many tapes offer a great workout with low impact modifiers the whole way. I cannot speak to how effective they are, as I did level 2 or 3.

Eva

Insane and great!

Breathless Body To the Edge (2) is an insane workout. Insane and effective. i have the previous edition and it was honestly just too much mentally to do the number of Tabata reps. Amy Dixon solved that, and has in the Edge successfully made Tabata (s print coaching technique) doable and effective. She gives you a guide to where you are going, different levels of participants. (some who you may identify with, some who will inspire you). Great coaching. Amy was a world class gymnastics tumbler. No wonder why they are such great athletes. This is a challenging workout that will challenge, motivate and encourage you. Go Big!

I have Breathless Body 1 & 2 and I LOVE them! I do not find them boring at all--but maybe that's because I don't do them constantly? I also do Cathe's cardios, Insanity, TurboFire, Peak 10 among many others for my cardio work. I try to mix things up so I don't get bored. But every time I throw in one of the Breathless Body workouts I get an awesome workout and I don't feel bored at all.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.