amnio pain?

jgoycoolea

Cathlete
How painful is the amniocentesis procedure, both during and after? Once the needle is inserted does it continue to hurt until it is removed? Any amnio experiences to share? Thanks!

For me, the amnio hurt exactly as much as getting 2 shots in the shoulder. Which to me, is not much. Yes the needle is long- but it HAS to be to reach the amniotic fluid. The shot in the belly doesn't hurt any more than any other shot, but the unexpected part was when the geneticist stopped mid-injection and warned me "You will feel another poke when the needle goes through the uterine wall." And lo and behold, I did. It just felt like another small, "internal" shot. Not terribly painful, and no, there was NO pain at the shot site afterward. And it is only in your belly long enough to draw a few vials of fluid- maybe 20 seconds? That part doesn't hurt at all.

They do warn of signs to watch for afterward, like passing unusual amounts of amniotic fluid, or having painful cramps. I think minor cramping would be normal, but nothing painful. Good luck to you, and best wishes for good results. I'm STILL waiting on the final report from my amnio, which was January 10th.
Lisa

When the needle enters the uterus it is a sharp pain like any incision. Once its in, its uncomfortable but not horrible. Once it comes out, the pain goes away. Most doctors recommend 24 hours of taking it easy. My husband took the day off and I went home, got into bed and watched DVDs while my Dh waited on me :) Next day, got up and still took it easy. I took 2 weeks of excercise because thats how long my doctor told me it takes for the sack to fully repair itself. I had no side effects, no leaking. I did have slight cramps for about 6 hours after, nothing painful but enough to make me take it easy. But the peace of mind I got from knowing that my baby was healthy was worth it. If I have anymore kids I would do an amnio again. I have 4 kids but only had the amino for my 4th due to my age.

I had a second amnio at 36 weeks because my doctor wanted to induce due to other issues (very low amniotic fluid) and wanted to make sure the lungs were mature. The second amnio was much less stress because there was no risk of miscarrage since the baby was fully formed. The worst that would have happened is the sack could have broken causing the need for immediate induction. But since inducing was on the plans anyway not a big deal.

I can honestly say that the anxiety and fear of the amnio was FAR worse than the procedure itself. ITs surprisingly quick. The needle part is just about a minute or two. They prep by doing a sonogram to find the baby and the needle is guided by the sonogram. It is pretty freaky to watch the monitor and see the needle near the baby.

Good luck :)

Do you think I would be ok to take myself and drive myself home, about a 20 minute ride?

My husband is going to take off work to be with our daughter, but the procedure is right at her nap time and she will be very cranky if she misses it. I wouldn't want to be the one dealing with her!

Hello there,

Just had to jump in here. I would strongly suggest that you find someone to drive you to and from your amnio. You will have a hole in your amniotic sac and if you had to slam on brakes for any reason, the steering wheel might cause you some problems! Not driving is usually standing orders after an amnio for you and your baby's protection. Call in a favor and ask a friend. I wish I could drive you myself. I've done that many a time for my students.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.